Washington, State Police Chief won't enforce stupid new gun laws...

For instance, in this country once one has obtained a firearms licence, which requires a detailed background check including interviews of spouses, relatives, referees, etc.; one can buy limitless long guns and ammunition merely by showing one's license. No further controls. Handguns and assault style rifles are much more strictly regulated.
Of course, one is also obliged to securely store firearms separately from actions and ammunition. Absolutely no restrictions on silencers.

Oh, most importantly, self defence is not a valid reason to own a firearm. I think our firearm homicide rate is about a twentieth of that of the US', while our firearm ownership rate is about a quarter.

Last edited:
Yep....at least one law enforcement official understands how stupid the new Washington, State gun laws are...

A new sanctuary city for Second Amendment rights

The city of Republic in Washington state is mulling legislation that would shield residents from state gun control laws that were approved by voters last week.

Republic Mayor Elbert Koontz said the Republic City Council will begin discussing the idea of becoming a “sanctuary city” to protect residents against Initiative 1639, which goes into effect Jan. 1, The Spokesman-Review reported.

The sweeping gun-control measure includes raising the age limit for buying semi-automatic rifles from 18 to 21 and requiring buyers of those weapons to pass an enhanced background check, show proof of firearms-training and complete a 10-day waiting period before obtaining the weapon.

Their police chief wasn’t waiting around for any new legislation to pass. He already announced, “The second amendment says the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. As long as I am Chief of Police, no Republic Police Officer will infringe on a citizens right to keep and Bear Arms, PERIOD!”

In a way, it’s sort of a shame that it has to come to this. When a state passes laws, they’re supposed to apply to the entire state. (Unless the state has “charter cities” under the state constitution as California does.) But what do you do when the state begins passing laws which seem to clearly abridge the Second Amendment rights of the citizens or when the laws conflict with federal law? The entire concept of supremacy sort of goes out the window at that point.

So a redneck from eastern Washington, in a town of 1073 people the sheriff says he won't enforce the law and the city wants to get a law exempting them from the law.

The city can try to do that but the city will lose in court. The judges on our state Supreme Court are elected by the people. Not appointed by any politician. Which means the state Supreme Court is a liberal court here. Politicians and judges here are very reluctant to undo any ballot initiative. Especially one passed with 60% of the vote. The last time I can remember of our Supreme Court reversing one of our ballot initiatives was in the 80s with WPPS. I'm sure they've reversed some since but I just can't remember one. That's how rare it is for any ballot initiative vote on by the people is reversed.

You're so scared of gun safety laws it's really unhealthy. That's pretty much all you post about.

A very good therapist might be able to help you with that problem.

Maybe that's why you're so afraid of real gun safety laws. The mentally unstable is prevented from guns here and those who show violence and being a threat to themselves or someone else can get their guns confiscated due to another ballot initiative we passed a couple years ago.

If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath on that sheriff being able to not enforce that law and for that city to get an exemption from the law.

You don't live in Washington. You don't know our courts.

WOw somethingnasty going on there .

For instance, in this country once one has obtained a firearms licence, which requires a detailed background check including interviews of spouses, relatives, referees, etc.; one can buy limitless long guns and ammunition merely by showing one's license. No further controls. Handguns and assault style rifles are much more strictly regulated.
Of course, one is also obliged to securely store firearms separately from actions and ammunition. Absolutely no restrictions on silencers.

Oh, most importantly, self defence is not a valid reason to own a firearm. I think our firearm homicide rate is about a twentieth of that of the US', while our firearm ownership rate is about a quarter.

I take it that you claim to be from New Zealand. A country with a population of about half that of New York City.

Thank you for sharing. I'm sure some small towns around our country will find your advice interesting.

`
Sanctuary cities for Second Amendment rights is largely symbolic just like immigration sanctuary cities are. It's a state, not federal issue so it's up to the state to enforce their own laws. None of the states really want to use legal sanctions to enforce their laws, so the issue remains in stasis. Neither side has proved problematic enough to make an issue of it. Still, it does provide a fertile ground for people to argue about, not that anything will change or get accomplished.
`

Forum List

Back