Was America too slow to free the slaves or is the record pretty good given the plant's history?

Slave owners were too lazy and cheap to do the work themselves. They wanted the ultimate cheap labor. Disgusting.
And were the slaves too stupid to live free? If slavery had its myths to pretend it was justifiable (or unavoidable), we've spun our own myths to pretend we are superior to those lazy and cheap slave owners.

I take a different view entirely. The economic engine of human society for millenniums incorporated slavery, on different continents, in different cultures and in different epochs. The moral quandary was pushed aside.

The industrial revolution made society productive enough to sustain a prosperous economy without enslavement, and the "peculiar institution" began to teeter. Our Founding documents included statements incompatible with slavery, and really it was only the span of one long lifetime between the ratification of the Constitution and the end of slavery in the U.S.A.

Considering that slavery has been around from time immemorial we can be proud of its quick demise after our founding. The politics of vengeance and anger may take another millennium to resolve.

But I don't give all the credit to our high-minded principles. I really do think it has as much to do with productivity and economics as with the Enlightenment. Same for child labor and other despicable working conditions.

Was America too slow to free the slaves

America never freed any slaves. It only changed them in form, position and appearance while altering the form the slavery itself takes to be much subtler and acceptable.
Revisionist tripe

No, asshole. YOU are the slave now, and its working because YOU DON'T EVEN REALIZE IT! :auiqs.jpg:
When someone claims to have insight and can see what others cannot it proves they have no intelligent argument.

You are full of crap because of the red pill you swallowed get out and learn about the real world.

Was America too slow to free the slaves or is the record pretty good given the plant's history? Does the evil of slavery taint our county more or less than others?

Slave Trade Act 1807 - Wikipedia
Slavery Abolition Act 1833 - Wikipedia

Definitely, America was 'too slow' in abolishing slavery.

Of course, it should have been in the Constitution from the very beginning.

And I don't care about 'the plan(e)t's history'. Slavery was largely accepted as wrong long before America became a thing.
Agreed, McRocket. All the FF did was kick the can down the road 100 years for another generation to settle, and in so many ways it ain't settled yet. To accept slavery, one has to somehow numb the conscience with stories of happy darkies and low IQs and animal urges towards white womenfolk. And to disallow education and organization. And the fallacy lives today. All the white supremacists believe today was born in our early days and kept alive down thru all our generations by folks who need to think they are somehow divinely appointed. If getting born white is all they have going for them, they are a very sorry lot and hopefully shunned.

Was America too slow to free the slaves or is the record pretty good given the plant's history? Does the evil of slavery taint our county more or less than others?

The banks own my house, the banks own my car, the banks own me!

Yes, I would say that America is far too slow to free me!

I owe, I owe...it's off to work I go...
thats your fault,,,,

You have no sense of humor do you?

Sure, it's my fault! I wasn't born wealthy.

Since the vast majority of Americans have huge debt to the banks, sound like it's more the fault of the economic system, not of individuals.

But I guess you believe that the vast majority of Americans are unproductive and lazy, right? That's why we have such a low GDP, right?
It is strictly the fault of individuals

No one made you or anyone else go into debt.

Once again. Pure Bullshit!

Unless your born into a very wealthy family the only alternative to massive debt is absolute poverty.

But reality never phased you, did it?
Bullshit. I wasn't born into a wealthy family and I never got caught up in massive debt or lived in poverty.

And nobody forced you to take out an auto loan to try to keep up with the Jones'.

We freed black slaves...Democrats insist that we have these new slaves called wetbacks. Democrats love slaves.

When someone claims to have insight

Show me where I ever claimed to have insight.

and can see what others cannot

Show me where I ever said I could see what others cannot.

it proves they have no intelligent argument.

You're proving you have no intelligence or argument right now,

You are full of crap because of the red pill you swallowed get out and learn about the real world.

What the hell are you even talking about, you moron? Red pills? Real world? You live in a fucking sci-fi movie and you think you are lecturing others on the real world when you don't even have a clue what I've been talking about.

Well we had to fight the White Christian Southern Conservatives in order to free anyone.

No...White Christian Conservatives were the Republican abolitionists.....it was the democrats who fought to keep the slaves....

One part of this history that is not emphasized in school textbooks is the 1807 Act banning any further importation of slaves. Although there were still some bootleggers getting in and slave markets still existed, this is a fairly early decision on the matter.

OUR 1807 Act was probably a "forced" situation since England had moved to stop the slave trafficking in the same year and not joining in the action could have provoked further conflict between us and them.. England went on to "abolish" slavery in their colonies in 1833, but turned slaves into apprentices and had them "work off their debt" until the 1840s.

So we were not "really late" to come to our senses.

Slave owners were too lazy and cheap to do the work themselves. They wanted the ultimate cheap labor. Disgusting.

Just how do you farm in the 18th 19th century with no workers? Wouldn't be worth the fuss to plant just 6 acres. That's the subsistence farming model that causes poverty and famines in Africa and elsewhere.

When someone claims to have insight

Show me where I ever claimed to have insight.

and can see what others cannot

Show me where I ever said I could see what others cannot.

it proves they have no intelligent argument.

You're proving you have no intelligence or argument right now,

What the hell are you even talking about, you moron? Red pills? Real world? You live in a fucking sci-fi movie and you think you are lecturing others on the real world when you don't even have a clue what I've been talking about.
I do in fact have a clue and claiming others are a slave, which you did, is by definition claiming an insight.

You are however a brain washed little fool.

You presented no argument to argue against boy.

So run along with your horseshit and let the grownups ralk

Just how do you farm in the 18th 19th century with no workers? Wouldn't be worth the fuss to plant just 6 acres. That's the subsistence farming model that causes poverty and famines in Africa and elsewhere.
And yet northern farms didn't feel the need to import slaves. But that is an overview...from the 21st century yet. I have tried to put myself into 18th and 19th century atmosphere, but my Yankee 20th century upbringing keeps getting in the way, since we were part of the underground railroad. But the argument that mass labor was required to produce cane and cotton seems to have been universal among southern landowners in the 1770s.
What is unacceptable to me now is the current atmosphere among some Americans calling themselves supremacists today, and their counterparts of black Americans who wallow in victim-hood and do nothing to change that status. I think there is still an imbalance favoring white Americans, but even in my lifetime much has changed and I look forward to the complete erasure of ANY ethnic claims of superiority.

And yet northern farms didn't feel the need to import slaves. But that is an overview...from the 21st century yet. I have tried to put myself into 18th and 19th century atmosphere, but my Yankee 20th century upbringing keeps getting in the way, since we were part of the underground railroad. But the argument that mass labor was required to produce cane and cotton seems to have been universal among southern landowners in the 1770s.
That's honest, and it's true of all of us, most likely.
What is unacceptable to me now is the current atmosphere among some Americans calling themselves supremacists today, and their counterparts of black Americans who wallow in victim-hood and do nothing to change that status. I think there is still an imbalance favoring white Americans, but even in my lifetime much has changed and I look forward to the complete erasure of ANY ethnic claims of superiority.
I don't think there are enough genuine white supremacists now to shake a stick at, hence the ongoing push to expand "white supremacists" to include all white people (conservatives, at least), President Trump particularly, or "white privilege" as an accoutrement to ongoing racism, etc.

(We see a similar process regarding "Nazis." The real Nazis are dead. There are a very, very few neo-Nazis, none to my knowledge guilty of atrocities remotely similar to what actually happened back when. So this makes it easy to sling the epithet around, like the Dr. Pepper song, "He's a Nazi, she's a Nazi, you're a Nazi," and so on.)

But there's no pot of gold waiting at the end of the white supremacists' rainbow; there is at the end of the victimhood campaign, in the form of reparations, quotas and preferential treatment. I think this will prevent your notion of "erasure of ANY ethnic claims of superiority" from being realized. For the victimhood industry to cash in, they MUST promote the idea of their moral superiority.

For us ordinary mortals it's amazing to see their insufferable self-righteousness transmogrify into hate. But it's the world we live in.

Forum List

Back