War Hawks Of The '80's Have Returned To The Pentagon And Congress

ThoughtCrimes

Old Navy Vet
Jun 25, 2012
Desert Southwest
Gather around folks and watch the Hawks of War do their little dance once again.

Forsaking the budget constraints forced upon them by the Congress through normal operation and the devil of sequestration, the Navy PTB in the Pentagon have announced they will embark on a Naval expansion of fleet assets equaling that of the 1980's. The increase takes the already projected expansion of 308 ships to an unbelievable 355 ships exceeding even Fuhrer-elect Trump's notice of increasing the fleet to 350 ships! ~~ US Navy’s New Fleet Goal: 355 Ships ~~

Based on the 2014 inventory of commissioned ships in active service of 282 that would be an increase of almost 26% in total number of ships in the US Navy! Regan pulled this same budget busting crap in the '80's by pumping up the military "to make America a leader again" and nearly tripled the debt.

Our last carrier (CVN-78, USS Gerald R Ford) has cost over $13 billion so far, but is yet to join the fleet even though the contract was awarded in 2008. Expect more cost overruns to be added to the $3.2 billion already billed. CVN-79 is scheduled to launch in 2020 at 18% complete last March and CVN-80 scheduled to be laid down in 2018, the third hull in the Ford Class. ~~ U.S. Navy's new $13B aircraft carrier can't fight - CNNPolitics.com ~~

Even with these additions already ordered and scheduled, the Pentagon wants to add yet another carrier to the Fleet with this new very costly expansion! And the INITIAL cost and the inevitable cost overruns doesn't stop with the 26% more ships added to the fleet, they must be manned but even before that the new manning must be trained, and paid and retrained and re-manned and retrained, ad nauseum.

A new F-35B is around $110 million and a carrier's fighter wing compliment of 45 aircraft added to a cost of a new carrier would be around $5 billion alone to say nothing of fuel, maintenance and armament costs and replacement of lost aircraft! The new ships must be fully supplied AND kept supplied for the duration of their entire service to say nothing of the constant maintenance and upkeep! That comes to trillions over the years simply to display a peacock's feathers when we won't be involve in further neocolonial adventurism!

Further, the Army and Air Force aren't going to let the Navy get all the cream are they? How many more war toys will those two branches of the military be clamoring for to spite Navy?

Be careful what you wish for because Trump's 'VISION' of making America great again could well be its downfall with the hands of this new breed of Centurion clamoring for the New American Century under the false flag of patriotism!

Permanent war and concentrated corporate wealth and power, always seamless transitions "across" party line(s).

Good, then maybe will stop having never ending wars. You can thank O and W, not the eighties.
So you approve of adding trillions more to the debt by the incoming administration! Noted!

Trillions are what O and W spent on wars.
Yes, and you are already on record for continuing the same irresponsible, foolish and wasteful conduct as Ronnie Raygun in the '80's, Bush 20 years afterward and the Obama administration! I got it! You're for continual deficit spending like any other irresponsible "Republican" spendthrift without a conscience! I fully understand what you are conveying!!!!

Good, then maybe will stop having never ending wars. You can thank O and W, not the eighties.
So you approve of adding trillions more to the debt by the incoming administration! Noted!

Trillions are what O and W spent on wars.
Yes, and you are already on record for continuing the same irresponsible, foolish and wasteful conduct as Ronnie Raygun in the '80's, Bush 20 years afterward and the Obama administration! I got it! You're for continual deficit spending like any other irresponsible "Republican" spendthrift without a conscience! I fully understand what you are conveying!!!!

And you thought the hillary was a dove who hated war? Lol.

What do you mean by "returned"?

Both parties are infested with war hawks. If they weren't, Dear Leader wouldn't have been able to continue Bush's idiotic wars and start new ones to boot.

And you thought the hillary was a dove who hated war?
You obviously don't have a fucking clue of what I think, and with you trying to put words in my mouth shows you as an ignorant fool! Now go and have another nice shit sundae your minders are offering to you and your fellow dupes, you ignorant fucking troll!!

Trump is already on record nailing Air Force 1 and Boeing for charging too freaking much. I have no doubt that he will put someone's head on the chopping block if their Department allows for any wasteful spending.

You know like trying to turn algae into fuel.

Incapable of writing a relevant thread title, are ya?
Since you're hung up on the title and you obviously have little to no historical recall, see if you can find a link between Ronnie's Navy buildup in the 1980's and the Pentagon's current proposed buildup. You know (or maybe not) the connection between the title and the narrative in the body of the OP! Do you need some more bread crumbs, shit for brains?

Trump is already on record nailing Air Force 1 and Boeing for charging too freaking much. I have no doubt that he will put someone's head on the chopping block if their Department allows for any wasteful spending.

Well come all ye Trump faithful! Trump lied [SHOCK AND HORROR SOUND EFFECTS - GNASHING OF TEETH - ASH RUBBED INTO FLESH - DONNING OF HAIR SHIRTS] when he claimed on Dec 6th that Boeing was charging over $4 billion for a new Air Force 1. Actually there are two (2) new planes that cost out at around $380 million apiece. But then that doesn't have anything to do with the OP does it, save to show Trump is a fucking liar!

And you thought the hillary was a dove who hated war?
You obviously don't have a fucking clue of what I think, and with you trying to put words in my mouth shows you as an ignorant fool! Now go and have another nice shit sundae your minders are offering to you and your fellow dupes, you ignorant fucking troll!!

You voted for clinton and you're seething right now with rage.

Well come all ye Trump faithful! Trump lied [SHOCK AND HORROR SOUND EFFECTS - GNASHING OF TEETH - ASH RUBBED INTO FLESH - DONNING OF HAIR SHIRTS] when he claimed on Dec 6th that Boeing was charging over $4 billion for a new Air Force 1. Actually there are two (2) new planes that cost out at around $380 million apiece. But then that doesn't have anything to do with the OP does it, save to show Trump is a fucking liar!
Ignorant fool. You leftist traitors really are sore losers.

Well there is something to be said about a strong military, without one do you think the world would have avoided World Wars for so long? A powerful military is a deterrent, in theory it discourages any and all nation states from trying to take on America. The same way M.A.D prevented nuclear war for so long.

Finally, if you had to choose between spending to prevent war, or losing thousands upon thousands of America lives because of the potential for attacks due to America being viewed as weak, which would you choose? As I recall the 1980s were pretty good as no full out war took place other than the Russians ill advised excursion in Afghanistan. Hardly a far assessment that the 1980's represented what you suggest.

Bottom line, America needs to remain the world leader or we will all be in trouble. Imperialism isn't a dirty word to me, as long as the imperialists have a citizens of strong character and a powerful guiding light (primarily the Constitution), and a belief in capitalism and Right of the Individual.

The same way M.A.D prevented nuclear war for so long.
How old are you? Did you even exist in October 1962? It sure as Hell wasn't the MAD paradigm that prevented a nuclear holocaust. It was Khrushchev taking his head out of his ass that did! I lived through that mess at Vandenberg AFB with my dad down inside an Atlas silo ready to drop the hammer!
A powerful military is a deterrent, in theory it discourages any and all nation states from trying to take on America.
In Theory? I'll take practical common sense over theory any damn day! At some place along a given time line, there is a point of diminishing returns, but some folks will never understand that. Check this chart and let us know how much more we must outspend every other nation for that spending to be a deterrent:
a23e5b6addb1aef15321a71824880cd4.png

Top five countries by military expenditure in 2015.
~~ http://books.sipri.org/files/FS/SIPRIFS1604.pdf ~~
Finally, if you had to choose between spending to prevent war, or losing thousands upon thousands of America lives because of the potential for attacks due to America being viewed as weak, which would you choose?
Given we are currently outspending China by a factor of three (3) and Russia by a factor of nearly ten (10) by those 2015 figures above [read the bloody PDF linked], any reasonable person could conclude any massive increase being proposed at this time, as it is, would be stupid and unwarranted overkill!
As I recall the 1980s were pretty good as no full out war took place other than the Russians ill advised excursion in Afghanistan. Hardly a far assessment that the 1980's represented what you suggest.
And what exactly are you suggesting that I suggested? Not trying to be flip, but your statement is far too open ended and non-specific to enable any cogent and specific response.
Bottom line, America needs to remain the world leader or we will all be in trouble.
Empires rise and Empires eventually fall. Entropy is part of the natural order; embrace it!
Imperialism isn't a dirty word to me, as long as the imperialists have a citizens of strong character and a powerful guiding light (primarily the Constitution), and a belief in capitalism and Right of the Individual.
There are so many very profound contradictions in logic tangled in that messy convoluted thought that I will not begin to touch it! It leaves a bad odor just suggesting that the USA should declare itself an IMPERIALIST STATE to conform to your vision for a Constitutional Republic!

Forum List

Back