Walmart or Trader Joe's

Trader Joes has much better food, no question. Walmart's house brand is suspect. I once bought pork and chicken is the house brand and couldn't eat either. My dogs ate it though. The "pork" tasted weird. The very next week there was a news report that China had been shipping donkey meat to Walmart, discovered after DNA testing.

Both. They each have things I buy regularly that the other doesn't carry.

Trader Joes has much better food, no question. Walmart's house brand is suspect. I once bought pork and chicken is the house brand and couldn't eat either. My dogs ate it though. The "pork" tasted weird. The very next week there was a news report that China had been shipping donkey meat to Walmart, discovered after DNA testing.
Their meat is more expensive than most grocery stores. I don't buy it either.

I don't go to Walmart for food items at all. The prices are not that different, and the quality of their food products is lower (IMO). However, I always go to walmart for other things. Some electronics, some basic household goods, and I got a fantastic deal on some great tires for my car. About 25% cheaper than any other deal.

Almost never buy at Trader Joe's, price is too high.

Occasionally buy at Walmart's but it is on the other side of town.

Do most shopping at Sprout's and Smith's which are much closer to us. Coupon and sales pursuit means we save any week from 30 to 60% on the total bill.

We also keep about three months' supply of staples on hand in one of the spare rooms.

I went to Safeway the other day and their deli roast beef was $14 a pound. So I went to Walmart and bought two pounds of their roast beef sliced thin, and when I made a sandwich at home I couldn't eat it. It was terrible. It didn't even taste like roast beef. Same story as Iceweasel. The dogs are chowing down on about $50 worth of deli meat this week.

Do most shopping at Sprout's and Smith's which are much closer to us. Coupon and sales pursuit means we save any week from 30 to 60% on the total bill.

We also keep about three months' supply of staples on hand in one of the spare rooms.
Holy crap!....Sprouts?....if that's the same chain we have in Northern California, they are the most expensive high end foo foo store ever.

Is this the same one?

Home - Sprouts Farmers Market

Don't have TJs where I am now and really REALLY miss it.

I have to be really desperate to go into a WM and would never buy any kind of food there.

Holy crap!....Sprouts?....if that's the same chain we have in Northern California, they are the most expensive high end foo foo store ever.

Is this the same one?

Yup, but they are in an eight block competition with Whole Foods (granola head central in SLC: I have never been to that location after being disappointed with it in Sugarhouse), Trader Joes, and two Smith's and one Harmon's.

I miss the Albertson's in Tyler and the old Randall's in Lufkin, Texas.

Has anyone tried Aldi's?

I had a terrible experience there. I bought beef, and it was absolutely horrid. It was like the other people were saying, completely unable to eat it. When I cooked it up on my George Foreman grill, it was so bad, it was practically 'slimey' in texture. I could burn it, and it will still have this strange revolting 'slimey' texture taste to it.

I went back and bought higher priced beef from Aldi's and it did the exact same thing. I end up throwing all of it in the trash. Just terrible. The entire experience left such a bad memory, that every time I see the place, that nasty 'slime meat' taste comes back to mind, and I won't go there. Even if I want to buy something else, I'm always worried it will be as bad as the slime meat. Never again. I'll go to Walmart over Aldi's now.

Is this the same one?

Yup, but they are in an eight block competition with Whole Foods (granola head central in SLC: I have never been to that location after being disappointed with it in Sugarhouse), Trader Joes, and two Smith's and one Harmon's.
You'd be shocked, as I was, when I went into the Citrus Heights CA Sprouts. There was nothing but 40-50 year old health nutty women wearing work out clothes, yacking conspicuously on thier cells phones, and driving Mercedes' in the parking lot. Everything was about 30% higher than any othe place to get whatever I looked at. The store was spotless and clean, and the vitamin section dominated the store, with overly helpfull people that seemed to look at my non-flat stomach in sympathy, while they ran around trying to create some sort of $350 vitamin cocktail designed to bring me into the light. Uh!.......

Whiole Foods is just plain too expensive. The only reason I go there is to get Olli Salami, it's wonderful, and worth $20/lb. Can't find it anywhere else on the west coast.

Oner store I miss from the east coast is Wegman's. It's kind of a rational version of Whole Foods, IMO. Not everything has to be uncured, organic, over priced, and stunning under the lighting....right?

Has anyone tried Aldi's?

I had a terrible experience there. I bought beef, and it was absolutely horrid. It was like the other people were saying, completely unable to eat it. When I cooked it up on my George Foreman grill, it was so bad, it was practically 'slimey' in texture. I could burn it, and it will still have this strange revolting 'slimey' texture taste to it.

I went back and bought higher priced beef from Aldi's and it did the exact same thing. I end up throwing all of it in the trash. Just terrible. The entire experience left such a bad memory, that every time I see the place, that nasty 'slime meat' taste comes back to mind, and I won't go there. Even if I want to buy something else, I'm always worried it will be as bad as the slime meat. Never again. I'll go to Walmart over Aldi's now.

Thanks for the review.
I have heard good things about Aldi's and an Aldi's is opening up within decent driving distance, so I am looking for opinions.
Meat doesn't concern me very much as we have a deli/meat shop just a couple blocks away. The prices are a tad steep, but it's easily worth it because the meats are absolutely great. We also have a slightly upscale grocery store near by. My wife is a gourmet cook so she has no interest in cheap food, quality/taste is the Number 1 important thing.

Has anyone tried Aldi's?

We shop them all, Aldi's, Wal-Mart, BI-LO, Trader Joes, Costco.

Each has their strong points.

I used to hate shopping.

Now, I get seen with a beautiful woman, and it really, really makes me feel good about myself!!!

We don't have a lot of the stores mentioned but my favorite locally is Winco. It's employee owned and it's obvious when you go there. The employees act like they have an invested interest in you and the store. They have very good prices and selections, including their own brand but don't accept credit cards so you don't get the markup to cover the cost.

Forum List

Back