'Vulnerable' B.C. senior loses home, hundreds of thousands in equity after city sold house over unpaid taxes

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Another reminder why China will win. More and more citizens will ask themselves "are they THAT much worse than my own government"?

From the Creepy Ones in Ontario and their dirty family members, to abuses of the most vulnerable young, old or incapable. THIS is Canada.

Authorities in this country have little character. I hope your FBI don't gush over our apparatuses and present a false image of what they represent.

A new report has found a vulnerable senior in Penticton, B.C., lost her home and hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity after the city auctioned off her house — for a third of its assessed value — over just $10,000 in unpaid property taxes.

The provincial ombudsperson's review published Wednesday found the woman, referred to as Ms. Wilson, had the money to pay off her taxes, but health concerns meant she needed help to submit the payments.

The city, it said, didn't communicate clearly with Wilson about what she stood to lose and didn't make an effort to find out if she needed help before proceeding to sell her house for $150,000 in 2017.

At the time, the home was assessed at $420,000.

"What happened to Ms. Wilson is tragic," wrote provincial Ombudsperson Jay Chalke in the report. "One simple telephone call ... could have resulted in an entirely different outcome in this case."

The story exposed a number of problems in the laws around tax sales to recover outstanding property taxes in B.C., Chalke said, namely the fact that it is a life-altering, complicated process that can leave homeowners at a crushing disadvantage if communication isn't clear.

They do the same thing in the USA.

So I've read. This woman suffered from health issues (I'm guessing mental limitations, but I'm just assuming) and nobody gave a shyte to speak to her on the phone, her next of kin, a neighbour ffs? She had the money available to pay.

So instead, they take her home, grossly undersell it and conveniently the person who bought it flips it for 3x the price.

Sounds like a nice Communist State tactic doesn't it? A "gift" from the "Party" perhaps?

So I've read. This woman suffered from health issues (I'm guessing mental limitations, but I'm just assuming) and nobody gave a shyte to speak to her on the phone, her next of kin, a neighbour ffs? She had the money available to pay.

So instead, they take her home, grossly undersell it and conveniently the person who bought it flips it for 3x the price.

Sounds like a nice Communist State tactic doesn't it? A "gift" from the "Party" perhaps?
Selling one's property due to failure to pay taxes has nothing to do with communism.

Selling one's property due to failure to pay taxes has nothing to do with communism.
It has everything to do with communism.

under communism, the government owns everything: they can take your property and give it to someone else or do what they want because they claim they are acting in the best interests of society.

under the system of capitalism and representative government that our forefathers set up for us (yes, even in Canada), many rights were given to the people. One of your *rights* is a day in court if you are accused of doing something like not paying taxes. If you are found to be incompetent to understand what is going on, a guardian will be appointed to help make decisions for you.

It has everything to do with communism.

under communism, the government owns everything: they can take your property and give it to someone else or do what they want because they claim they are acting in the best interests of society.

under the system of capitalism and representative government that our forefathers set up for us (yes, even in Canada), many rights were given to the people. One of your *rights* is a day in court if you are accused of doing something like not paying taxes. If you are found to be incompetent to understand what is going on, a guardian will be appointed to help make decisions for you.
Well, guess what cupcake the US has been doing it since before the time of communist, communism or Marx. So you might as well realize it is what happens in almost every country in the world and has for hundreds of years.

Another reminder why China will win. More and more citizens will ask themselves "are they THAT much worse than my own government"?

From the Creepy Ones in Ontario and their dirty family members, to abuses of the most vulnerable young, old or incapable. THIS is Canada.

Authorities in this country have little character. I hope your FBI don't gush over our apparatuses and present a false image of what they represent.

A new report has found a vulnerable senior in Penticton, B.C., lost her home and hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity after the city auctioned off her house — for a third of its assessed value — over just $10,000 in unpaid property taxes.

The provincial ombudsperson's review published Wednesday found the woman, referred to as Ms. Wilson, had the money to pay off her taxes, but health concerns meant she needed help to submit the payments.

The city, it said, didn't communicate clearly with Wilson about what she stood to lose and didn't make an effort to find out if she needed help before proceeding to sell her house for $150,000 in 2017.

At the time, the home was assessed at $420,000.

"What happened to Ms. Wilson is tragic," wrote provincial Ombudsperson Jay Chalke in the report. "One simple telephone call ... could have resulted in an entirely different outcome in this case."

The story exposed a number of problems in the laws around tax sales to recover outstanding property taxes in B.C., Chalke said, namely the fact that it is a life-altering, complicated process that can leave homeowners at a crushing disadvantage if communication isn't clear.
We have a very evil person like that here

Forum List

Back