Vintage conspiracy movies

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
I'm talking about real plots, not digital nonsense. Seven Days in May was based on the book and features stunning performances by Burt Lancaster, Frederic March and Kirk Douglas. A renegade Army General creates a base in the desert that will be used to overthrow the government. Manchurian Candidate with Sinatra and Janet Leigh and Lawrence Harvey. American troops are captured by Russians and subjected to brain washing. Sinatra's best role as far as I'm concerned.

I'm talking about real plots, not digital nonsense. Seven Days in May was based on the book and features stunning performances by Burt Lancaster, Frederic March and Kirk Douglas. A renegade Army General creates a base in the desert that will be used to overthrow the government. Manchurian Candidate with Sinatra and Janet Leigh and Lawrence Harvey. American troops are captured by Russians and subjected to brain washing. Sinatra's best role as far as I'm concerned.
Seven Days in May is one the finest political thrillers every made. A best seller with a script by Rod Sterling, directed by John Frankenheimer with an all start cast headed by Kirk Douglas and Burt Landcaster. The movie shows on TCM occasionally. Not sure if it is available for free anywhere but it can be rented for $3.99 at various places.

There are lots of good political thrillers, too many to list.

The ones listed in post one are the best, Should be shown in highschool classes.
Why? Most kids would have no interest today. Without color, cgi, sex, and explosions in surround sound every 5 or 10 mins, they would sleep through it.

The Manchurian Candidate was remade in 2004 but I prefer the original 1962 version. I saw this movie in Washington DC, the night before I had a job interview with the NSA which made it even more interesting. When this movie was made in the 60's the public was far more concerned with Russian spies and espionage than they are today so this story seemed much more plausible.

Last edited:
Manchurian candidate (1962) had a simple plot except that it was politically complicated. The communist menace was well established but somehow Hollywood managed to turn a renegade political blowhard republican senator into the bad guy. It's possible that the James Gregory character Senator John Iselan might have been based on real senator James Eastland who was chairman of the "Internal Security Subcommittee" who wrote the forward to J. Edgar Hoover's Document 59 "The Communist Party Line" in 1961.

Forum List

Back