Vin Scully, Hall of Fame broadcaster for the Dodgers in Brooklyn, Los Angeles dies at 94

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
  • Banned
Unofficially, he sang show tunes on his drive to work, attended weekly Mass outside the Dodgers’ clubhouse, and would spend afternoons sitting by his backyard pool doing play-by-play of his children swimming.

He had a role in a movie called, "For the Love of the Game". In the game he is a commentator on a baseball game that was taking place on the last Saturday of the season. In the movie, the pitcher Billy Chapel (played by Kevin Costner) is pitching a perfect game. The movie, for all of it's faults, lets Scully be Scully.... Paraphrasing here...."You get the feeling that Chapel is not pitching against left handers, that he is not pitching against right handers, but pitching against time itself. And maybe he has just enough energy in that tired right arm of his to push the sun back up into the sky and give us one more day of summer."

Its a great loss. RIP Mr. Scully.

Great announcers make the sport that much better. They are the face of the team or the games they broadcast. Vin Scully was one of the best if not the best.

Sandy Koufax once said, “It may sound corny, but I enjoyed listening to Vin call a game almost more than playing in them.”

For a long time, I thought his name was Vince Kelly.

(not a big sports fan)

I heard he would turn his back and face the crowd during big moments on the field so he wouldn't be tempted to say something and hog the show.... what a class act... we could use some of that class today.... I'm as guilty as the rest I guess....

Forum List

Back