Vietnam Movies

TroglocratsRdumb

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2017
There have been a lot of Vietnam War movies.
Two of the best ones were The Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now.
Which one is better?

There have been a lot of Vietnam War movies.
Two of the best ones were The Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now.
Which one is better?
Apocalypse Now.
<iframe width="727" height="409" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We Were Soldiers. Not because I was in that battle but because it was 99% true and accurate. I knew everyone portrayed in that movie and we survivors meet every November 10-15 for a reunion. It's cancelled this year due to Covid. Next year, God willing.

I liked the first half of Full Metal Jacket, the basic training part.
It was realistic and what I went though. (except the Drill Sgt being murdered)
Second half of the movie, not so much. ... :cool:
My basic wasn't very much like that but then I was in the air force. Our obstacle course had a honest to God sidewalk and we only ran it twice. We went to the firing range all of one time. I was a real killer when we got done with it. I was actually in better shape going in than coming out. LOL

vi
Apocalypse by a wide margin. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning". Actually I never saw it in the morning but it's downright beautiful at night.
Apocalypse was some kind of weirdo acid trip movie, and was the most unrealistic Vietnam movie ever made. .... :cuckoo:
From what l saw of it Vietnam was an unrealistic war for the most part.

The Wall with 58,000+ names on it would disagree. ... :cool:
Oh I didn't say people didn't die, a lot did, several of my friends included. They even tried to kill my ass. But one has to wonder about how real a war can be where you never lose a single battle but you lose the war.

The Wall with 58,000+ names on it would disagree. ... :cool:
Oh I didn't say people didn't die, a lot did, several of my friends included. They even tried to kill my ass. But one has to wonder about how real a war can be where you never lose a single battle but you lose the war.

LBJ, Nixon and Kissinger lost the war. The troops won their war.

A little known Vietnam war movie "Rescue Dawn" is the true story about a Navy pilot Lt. Dieter Dengler who was shot down over Laos and held captive with several other Americans in a primitive jungle prison. After several months he convinced the prisoners to escape and he was eventually rescued almost a month later.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back