Very interesting video on stopping power.

I've seen this video in the past but thought I'd post it for those who may not have seen it.
It came to some very interesting conclusions,some I already knew,and some I wasn't aware of.

I have seen this data before, but it is good to be reminded.

I think the biggest takeaway from this is to go with the handgun you know and are good with, as long as it is not a "mouse cartridge" type.

I do disagree with the idea that a handgun is the best weapon for a bugout. A weapon is not just for defensive use, but also for obtaining food. And the sight of someone carrying a rifle would be a considerable deterrent to someone who is unarmed. The best defensive situation is one in which they bad guys decide you are more trouble than you are worth.

Interesting conclusions and I do not disagree with all of them. However, as a primary bugout weapon, a handgun can be a very risky choice. Even an enemy armed with a carbine or shotgun/slug combination would be able to stand you off from out of pistol range, if all you've got is a handgun, unless you are capable of making two hundred yard shots with it. For bugging out a safer bet is an AR-Pistol or even better, paying for the tax stamp to build a short barreled AR rifle. With a 7.5" or shorter barreled AR, one can easily conceal it in a backpack, broken down, and still reach out and touch trouble makers at 300 yards and better. As for caliber to go with in such a weapon? Right now the .300 AAC (Blackout) is, in my opinion, the only way to go. With that caliber one can hunt medium game and defend oneself quite effectively. A final benefit of the SBR platform is interchangeability of upper receivers in many calibers with one lower receiver, on the fly.

His conclusions pretty much mirrored my own in a bug out situation.
You need at least a 5.56 in a rifle and nothing less than a 9mm in a handgun.
I'd prefer a bigger caliber in the handgun but ammo availability is an issue.
The .45 wouldn't be a bad choice either since they're almost as readily available as the 9mm.

I like my M1911 because it handles and points naturally for me. I have fired many other semis, but none felt right. I know the caliber is adequate for the task. And it works.

As for a bugout gun, I like a rifle. As someone said, I can engage at ranges that make a handgun ineffective. But I do prefer a .308 over a .223.

Yep.
I love my FNX .45 Tactical since it holds 15 + 1 in the chamber.
The AR is enough to penetrate body armor and I can carry more rounds.

Oh I know. And the .308 I have is a heavy, long rifle. But I can reach out and touch something a long way out.

I got a .270 for that.
Of course it's a bolt gun.
If I had to pick one I'd take the AR.

I have a .270 as well. Probably my favorite rifle is chambered for it. But a Ruger No. 1 may be the perfect deer rifle, but probably not the best bug-out gun.

I've seen this video in the past but thought I'd post it for those who may not have seen it.
It came to some very interesting conclusions,some I already knew,and some I wasn't aware of.

the 5.7x28 round is great one
light recoil and enough power
they should make a revolver for it

Hmmmm....not sure how that would work with a necked round.
You'd think the casing would expand in the cylinder.

I think the biggest takeaway from this is to go with the handgun you know and are good with, as long as it is not a "mouse cartridge" type.

I do disagree with the idea that a handgun is the best weapon for a bugout. A weapon is not just for defensive use, but also for obtaining food. And the sight of someone carrying a rifle would be a considerable deterrent to someone who is unarmed. The best defensive situation is one in which they bad guys decide you are more trouble than you are worth.

Interesting conclusions and I do not disagree with all of them. However, as a primary bugout weapon, a handgun can be a very risky choice. Even an enemy armed with a carbine or shotgun/slug combination would be able to stand you off from out of pistol range, if all you've got is a handgun, unless you are capable of making two hundred yard shots with it. For bugging out a safer bet is an AR-Pistol or even better, paying for the tax stamp to build a short barreled AR rifle. With a 7.5" or shorter barreled AR, one can easily conceal it in a backpack, broken down, and still reach out and touch trouble makers at 300 yards and better. As for caliber to go with in such a weapon? Right now the .300 AAC (Blackout) is, in my opinion, the only way to go. With that caliber one can hunt medium game and defend oneself quite effectively. A final benefit of the SBR platform is interchangeability of upper receivers in many calibers with one lower receiver, on the fly.

The .45 wouldn't be a bad choice either since they're almost as readily available as the 9mm.

I like my M1911 because it handles and points naturally for me. I have fired many other semis, but none felt right. I know the caliber is adequate for the task. And it works.

As for a bugout gun, I like a rifle. As someone said, I can engage at ranges that make a handgun ineffective. But I do prefer a .308 over a .223.

Yep.

Oh I know. And the .308 I have is a heavy, long rifle. But I can reach out and touch something a long way out.

I got a .270 for that.

I have a .270 as well. Probably my favorite rifle is chambered for it. But a Ruger No. 1 may be the perfect deer rifle, but probably not the best bug-out gun.

Yeah...I love my .270!!
Sold my 30.06 because it's overkill for any animal I'll find here in Texas unless I went to one of the exotic ranches.
But I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay 5 to 10k to shoot one.

Yep.

I got a .270 for that.

Yeah...I love my .270!!
Sold my 30.06 because it's overkill for any animal I'll find here in Texas unless I went to one of the exotic ranches.

I paid about $900 for my Ruger. Yeah, that is a lot for a deer rifle, but I have wanted one since I first saw the Ruger ad in a gun magazine when I was a kid. Most elegant rifle I have ever owned.

Also, being a single shot, the gun is about 4 inches shorter than a bolt action, semi auto, or lever gun with the same length of barrel. Mine has a 22 inch barrel, which is optimal for a .270. But it handles like an 18 inch carbine of any other action. I found it to be a little pickier as far as accuracy for the many brands and bullet weights in .270. But I found a few that are very accurate, and even the worst was not that bad.

Yep.

I got a .270 for that.

Yeah...I love my .270!!

I paid about $900 for my Ruger. Yeah, that is a lot for a deer rifle, but I have wanted one since I first saw the Ruger ad in a gun magazine when I was a kid. Most elegant rifle I have ever owned.

Also, being a single shot, the gun is about 4 inches shorter than a bolt action, semi auto, or lever gun with the same length of barrel. Mine has a 22 inch barrel, which is optimal for a .270. But it handles like an 18 inch carbine of any other action. I found it to be a little pickier as far as accuracy for the many brands and bullet weights in .270. But I found a few that are very accurate, and even the worst was not that bad.

I'm thinking my next rifle is going to be a .338 Lapua.
Always wanted a long shot rifle.
And it's reasonably priced at around $1800 to start.
Minus the optics of course.
Going to have to start softening up the Wife.

1605646906746.png

Yep.

I got a .270 for that.

Yeah...I love my .270!!

View attachment 417619

Convincing the wife can be a delicate operation. Good luck!

Yep.

I got a .270 for that.

Yeah...I love my .270!!

View attachment 417619

Convincing the wife can be a delicate operation. Good luck!

After 30 years I have it down pat.
She actually asked me recently if I was sure I had enough ammo for the coming unrest.
A hint here,a hint there about the need for a certain firearm. I start out questioning that need and do some "research" about that need.
I explain to Her that I dont have anything in the gun safe that can accomplish that need.
I then keep dropping hints and she eventually says.......Oh alright order your damn rifle!!!
It's a war of attrition with common sense reasons.
I think She just loves me and gives in. Of course I also tell Her when I die she can cash in on em.

I've always wanted a single action revolver and lever action rifle in 44-40. Just never could justify the expense.

me too and they are only getting more expensive. I remember Colt SSA's for $500-600. Then Colt quit them, brought them back a few years later at $1200 starting. Now a SAA "Colt" will run $2400 or so.

Some very fine SAA's European copies out there though. Parts interchange. I used many on cowboy shooting events.

But it's NOT A COLT!

I've always wanted a single action revolver and lever action rifle in 44-40. Just never could justify the expense.

me too and they are only getting more expensive. I remember Colt SSA's for $500-600. Then Colt quit them, brought them back a few years later at $1200 starting. Now a SAA "Colt" will run $2400 or so.

Some very fine SAA's European copies out there though. Parts interchange. I used many on cowboy shooting events.

But it's NOT A COLT!

Nothing like a Colt no doubt!
But then an S&W aint bad either.

Double actions I actually prefer Smiths. I have had the pythons, cobras, fine guns grew up on Smiths I guess.

Now the SAA, a colt! 1911's I had many colts but now have a custom built,,,, so many fine 1911 out now it's hard to choose.

I probably sound like a broken record, but for revolvers I like Rugers. I have an old Security Six in my nightstand, and the SAAs are some great guns.

My M1911 is a Springfield MilSpec that I have customized a little.

Double actions I actually prefer Smiths. I have had the pythons, cobras, fine guns grew up on Smiths I guess.

Now the SAA, a colt! 1911's I had many colts but now have a custom built,,,, so many fine 1911 out now it's hard to choose.

I like the cool factor of the 911 but hate the capacity.

Have many Rugers, love them. Recent purchase was a 22cal "Wrangler" I have had their SA, DA and semis not to mention rifles. One #1 I really miss, was the Tropical.

I had an M1a, fine rifle. Went back to my preference, Garrand.

Have many Rugers, love them. Recent purchase was a 22cal "Wrangler" I have had their SA, DA and semis not to mention rifles. One #1 I really miss, was the Tropical.

I had an M1a, fine rifle. Went back to my preference, Garrand.

The Ruger #1 is a great rifle, and probably the most beautiful.

The capacity never really bothered me. And it is part of why the gun is so slim and easy to conceal.
Reloading is quick and easy. And if I need more than 8 shots without a pause, I am probably fucked anyway.

The capacity never really bothered me. And it is part of why the gun is so slim and easy to conceal.
Reloading is quick and easy. And if I need more than 8 shots without a pause, I am probably fucked anyway.

Inaccurate fire under stress is well known.
The more rounds the better. As far as size goes....
You of course can go smaller with the 1911 but the FNX isn't that big.
It's mainly in the grip length and it's slightly thicker.
1605729713106.png

1605729911923.png

Forum List

Back