VA to provide free credit monitoring

Should the taxpayers fund the VA's free credit monitoring service?

• Total voters

pegwinn

Top of the Food Chain
Apr 17, 2004
Texas
Timely info for those who may need it.........

June 23, 2006
VA to provide free credit monitoring
by Army News Service

The Department of Veterans Affairs will provide one year of free credit monitoring to people whose personal information may have been stolen in the recent data theft that occurred at an employee's Maryland home, Secretary of Veterans Affairs R. James Nicholson announced Wednesday.

"VA continues to take aggressive steps to protect and assist people who may be potentially affected by this data theft," said Nicholson. "VA has conducted extensive market research on available credit monitoring solutions, and has been working diligently to determine how VA can best serve those whose information was stolen.

"Free credit monitoring will help safeguard those who may be affected, and will provide them with the peace of mind they deserve," he added.

Nicholson said VA has no reason to believe the perpetrators who committed the burglary were targeting the data, and Federal investigators believe that it is unlikely that identity theft has resulted from the data theft.

This week, VA will solicit bids from qualified companies to provide a comprehensive credit monitoring solution. VA will ask the companies to provide expedited proposals and to be prepared to implement them rapidly once they are under contract.

After VA hires a credit monitoring company, the Department will send a detailed letter to people whose personal information may have been included in the stolen data. The letter will explain credit monitoring and how eligible people can enroll or "opt-in" for the free services. The Department expects to have the services in place and the letters mailed by mid-August.

Nicholson also announced VA is soliciting bids to hire a company that provides data-breach analysis, which will look for possible misuse of the stolen VA data.

The analysis would help measure the risk of the data loss, identify suspicious misuse of identity information and expedite full assistance to affected people.

As part of VA's efforts to prevent such an incident from happening again, Nicholson previously announced:

* a series of personnel changes in the Office of Policy and Planning, where the breach occurred;

* the hiring of former Maricopa County (Ariz.) prosecutor Richard Romley as a Special Advisor for Information Security;

* the expedited completion of Cyber Security Awareness Training and Privacy Awareness Training for all VA employees;

* that an inventory be taken of all positions requiring access to sensitive VA data by June 30, 2006, to ensure that only those employees who need such access to do their jobs have it;

* that every laptop in VA undergo a security review to ensure that all security and virus software is current, including the immediate removal of any unauthorized information or software; and

* that VA facilities across the country -- every hospital, Community-Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC), regional office, national cemetery, field office and VA's Central Office -- observe Security Awareness Week beginning June 26.

People who believe they may be affected by the data theft can go to www.firstgov.gov for more information. VA also continues to operate a call center that people can contact to get information about this incident and learn more about consumer-identity protections. The call center is open 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EDT at (800) 333-4636.

Mr. P said:
Has anyone been contacted by the VA regarding the lose of this info.? I was.
I'll check with my dad, I know he was looking for, but as far as I know, hasn't gotten anything. He has his hearing aid through the VA. He also has Hepatitis C from transfusions he received in the war, and they monitor that.

His meds for kidney damage are also through VA.

Heh. I misread the question. I thought that Virginia (VA) was providing free credit reporting and that taxpayers were paying for it. :D

Oops! Not fully awake at 2AM.

Just read an article this morning that a federal judge has ordered the VA to stop advertising this service...it may compromise awards from pending class action suits which offer more compensation than free credit checks.

CSM said:
Just read an article this morning that a federal judge has ordered the VA to stop advertising this service...it may compromise awards from pending class action suits which offer more compensation than free credit checks.

I hate Class Action suits. The huge awards are spead out over a huge class of folks, except for the huge amounts paid out to the lawyers. Speaking of suits, I got one with class, real big lapels....... wide tie..........

Just a word of caution to folk who are eligible for the free credit-reporting....

Mr P is correct that you're entitled to a free report once a year from each of the major credit reporting agencies. So, if you get a notice from any saying that your monitoring this year is free, but after that you have to "opt out", be aware that they may start charging you after the year is up.

Just thought you should know.

pegwinn said:
I hate Class Action suits. The huge awards are spead out over a huge class of folks, except for the huge amounts paid out to the lawyers. Speaking of suits, I got one with class, real big lapels....... wide tie..........

That suit's kinda' "dated," ain't it?:)

When I made SSgt, the SgtMaj told me all SNCO's had to have a suit. He didn't tell me that it had to be in style........ at least it wasn't cordoroy.

pegwinn said:
When I made SSgt, the SgtMaj told me all SNCO's had to have a suit. He didn't tell me that it had to be in style........ at least it wasn't cordoroy.

LOL, I was just the opposite. MY suit wasn't conservative enough. I checked out the latest-greatest style and got one.

GunnyL said:
LOL, I was just the opposite. MY suit wasn't conservative enough. I checked out the latest-greatest style and got one.
Darn, I own a suit...I think....somewhere....maybe....hmmmm....can't remember the last time I wore a suit (not a uniform, mind you) but I think it was in the 60's.

CSM said:
Darn, I own a suit...I think....somewhere....maybe....hmmmm....can't remember the last time I wore a suit (not a uniform, mind you) but I think it was in the 60's.

From time to time we had to attend professional dinners. IN reality it was torment dressed up to remind us that uniforms were not that uncomfortable.

Mr. P said:
Has anyone been contacted by the VA regarding the lose of this info.? I was.

Yeah I got a letter as well. I did take advantage of getting a free credit report. There wasn't any mention of free credit monitoring for a year though.

Pale Rider said:
Yeah I got a letter as well. I did take advantage of getting a free credit report. There wasn't any mention of free credit monitoring for a year though.
A report from the link I posted? If so, that just a report, not a monitoring thing.
However, if we get a report every 4 months we are monitoring.:D

Forum List

Back