USS Liberty:Operation Northwoods?

"Both the Israeli and U.S. governments conducted inquiries and issued reports that concluded the attack was a mistake due to Israeli confusion about the identity of the USS Liberty."

"In May 1968, the Israeli government paid US$3,323,500 as full payment to the families of the 34 men killed in the attack. In March 1969, Israel paid a further $3,566,457 in compensation to the men who had been wounded. On 18 December 1980, it agreed to pay $6 million as settlement for the U.S. claim of $7,644,146 for material damage to the Liberty itself.

Purportedly, on December 17, 1987, the issue was officially closed by the two governments through an exchange of diplomatic notes."

Are there unresolved questions about this incident? Yes, absolutely. I believe Congress should have investigated. Do I believe that Israel--after being practically given a state-of-the-art military courtesy of the US of A maliciously murdered, with the full knowledge of both Israeli and American leadership, with implications that LBJ himself was involved in the cover-up?

No. Your thread belongs in conspiracy theory.
Do you think Dean Rusk knew about Operation Northwoods?

"Washington, June 10, 1967.

"The Secretary of State presents his compliments to His Excellency the Ambassador of Israel and has the honor to refer to the Ambassador's Note of June 10, 1967 concerning the attack by Israeli aircraft and torpedo boats on the United States naval vessel U.S.S. Liberty,

"In these circumstances, the later military attack by Israeli aircraft on the U.S.S. Liberty is quite literally incomprehensible.

"As a minimum, the attack must be condemned as an act of military recklessness reflecting wanton disregard for human life.

"The subsequent attack by Israeli torpedo boats, substantially after the vessel was or should have been identified by Israeli military forces, manifests the same reckless disregard for human life. . . . The U.S.S. Liberty was peacefully engaged, posed no threat whatsoever to the torpedo boats, and obviously carried no armament affording it a combat capability.

"It could and should have been scrutinized visually at close range before torpedoes were fired.

". . . the Secretary of State wishes to make clear that the United States Government expects the Government of Israel also to take the disciplinary measures which international law requires in the event of wrongful conduct by the military personnel of a State."

"There has been no statement in the last thirty-eight years by the United States government reversing or amending this formal position."

USS Liberty Memorial: Summary of Events

Hey, read the Book. The attack was wrong. The Joint Chief's of Staff played as much a part in the catastrophe as Israel. That ship should never have been there in the first place. From the Napalm Attack, the Torpedo Attack, Strafing Life Boats, an eye witness submarine, a rescue squadron armed with Nukes, the whole mission was a cluster fuck. There is plenty of blame to go around.

David Duke has been right about this for years. Isreal is not our friends.

They are not the friends of the citizens of the us,but the mossad is friends with the CIA.they work hand in hand together.they are best buddies with each other those two organizations.

Israel is the most evil enemy the U.S. has ever had to deal with.

Far greater than the USSR at the height of it's power. :evil:

Except for like I said to Pole Rider here in my last post,except that the CIA is buddies with the mossad,they are both evil organizations that need to be abolished.The CIA like the mossad,operates not in the best interests of the american people and are the reason the world is in such a mess.

I'm not sure why this is much of a mystery. It's pretty obvious to me, not having had an opinion on the subject before reading the original dispatches from the Liberty just prior to the attack and during the attack and the (formerly classified) debriefing of the survivors, that this was a pre-meditated and planned attack by Israel on the USS Liberty. I won't ascribe motives for why they did it, but I dare anyone to research this topic with original sources and come up with an alternate conclusion.

Here is the link to the NSA site with declassified original source documents. NSA: USS Liberty information

They were just following orders. LBJ and Bobby had Masters too. You only think you voted for them.
How about that lil Gulf of Tonkin thingie ?
LBJ allegedly admitted as much when he confessed he couldn't stop the war in Vietnam "because his friends were making too much damn money."

Apparently ol' Lyndon made a dollar or two off that crime, as well.
LBJ's wife had a lot of stock in DuPont which made bombs for the US military.
The duPonts never tire of saving the world.

"Take our friends the du Ponts, the powder people – didn't one of them testify before a Senate committee recently that their powder won the war? Or saved the world for democracy? Or something? How did they do in the war? They were a patriotic corporation. Well, the average earnings of the du Ponts for the period 1910 to 1914 were $6,000,000 a year. It wasn't much, but the du Ponts managed to get along on it.

"Now let's look at their average yearly profit during the war years, 1914 to 1918. Fifty-eight million dollars a year profit we find! Nearly ten times that of normal times, and the profits of normal times were pretty good. An increase in profits of more than 950 per cent."

USMC Major General Smedley Darlington Butler saw WWII coming a decade before Pear Harbor and tried to warn his country that War is a Racket.

Where's Smedley when we really need him?

I'm not sure why this is much of a mystery. It's pretty obvious to me, not having had an opinion on the subject before reading the original dispatches from the Liberty just prior to the attack and during the attack and the (formerly classified) debriefing of the survivors, that this was a pre-meditated and planned attack by Israel on the USS Liberty. I won't ascribe motives for why they did it, but I dare anyone to research this topic with original sources and come up with an alternate conclusion.

Here is the link to the NSA site with declassified original source documents. NSA: USS Liberty information
Surviving eye witnesses to the attack also see little mysterious about what actually occurred.

Ray McGovern, a former CIA analyst for 27 years, was addressing a crowd in 2006 when he mentioned the attack on Liberty

"I found myself looking out at 400 blank stares. The USS Liberty? And so I asked how many in the audience had heard of the attack on the Liberty on June 8, 1967. Three hands went up; I called on the gentleman nearest me.

"Ramrod straight he stood:

"'Sir, Sergeant Bryce Lockwood, United States Marine Corps, retired. I am a member of the USS Liberty crew, Sir.'"

Ray McGovern: So Who's Afraid of the Israel Lobby?

Sometimes all you have to do is follow the money.

When the British decided to create a Jewish homeland in 1917 it had little to do with righting a 2000 year old wrong.

Sir Ronald Storrs, the first Governor of Jerusalem summed it up pretty well"

"'It will form for England,' he said, 'a little loyal Jewish Ulster in a sea of potentially hostile Arabism.'

"Storrs’ analogy was no accident. Ireland was where the English invented the tactic of divide and conquer, and where the devastating effectiveness of using foreign settlers to drive a wedge between the colonial rulers and the colonized made it a template for worldwide imperial rule."

Divide and Conquer as Imperial Rules | FPIF

Hey, read the Book. The attack was wrong. The Joint Chief's of Staff played as much a part in the catastrophe as Israel. That ship should never have been there in the first place. From the Napalm Attack, the Torpedo Attack, Strafing Life Boats, an eye witness submarine, a rescue squadron armed with Nukes, the whole mission was a cluster fuck. There is plenty of blame to go around.
What if Washington was in on it?
What if McNamara and Johnson and the Joint Chiefs knew in advance of the attack?
Would that change your assessment of blame?

I agree completely. But I don't need Duke to tell me that.
Do you think the attack on Liberty was something Israel would plan and execute without authorization from DC?

I knew a few grunts from high school in the summer of '67 who weren't very happy about their role in the "Big Muddy." I don't think anyone I knew ever rolled a grenade into an officer's tent; however, one of my former classmates went AWOL because of what he had seen and done in Vietnam.

If the Liberty had sunk with no survivors many of those disgruntled vets would have torn Egypt to shreds for free, and we might even have boots on the ground in that country today.

How would conservatives and liberals change their voting habits today if it became clear to 90% of Americans their government planned the assault on Liberty in 1967?

Did Operation Northwoods come to the Eastern Mediterranean 44 years ago today?

"On June 8, 1967, US Navy intelligence ship USS Liberty was suddenly and brutally attacked on the high seas in international waters by the air and naval forces of Israel.

"The Israeli forces attacked with full knowledge that this was an American ship and lied about it.

"Survivors have been forbidden for 40 years to tell their story under oath to the American public.

"The USS Liberty Memorial web site tells their story and is dedicated to the memory of the 34 brave men who died.

The Attack

"After surveilling USS Liberty for more than nine hours with almost hourly aircraft overflights and radar tracking, the air and naval forces of Israel attacked our ship in international waters without warning.

"USS Liberty was identified as a US naval ship by Israeli reconnaissance aircraft nine hours before the attack and continuously tracked by Israeli radar and aircraft thereafter.

"Sailing in international waters at less than five knots, with no offensive armament, our ship was not a military threat to anyone.

"The Israeli forces attacked without warning and without attempting to contact us.

"Thirty four Americans were killed in the attack and another 174 were wounded..."

USS Liberty Memorial

Did President Lyndon Johnson and Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara know in advance of the attack on Liberty?

Two attempts by the 6th Fleet to come to the ship's rescue were called back on their orders:

"...(h)e told me that upon receipt of our SOS, aircraft were launched to come to our assistance and then Washington was notified. He said that the Secretary of Defense (Robert McNamara) had ordered that the aircraft be returned to the carrier, which was done.

"RADM Geis then said that he speculated that Washington may have suspected that the aircraft carried nuclear weapons so he put together another flight of conventional aircraft that had no capability of carrying nuclear weapons.

"These he launched to assist us and again notified Washington of his actions. Again McNamara ordered the aircraft recalled. He (Geis) requested confirmation of the order being unable to believe that Washington would let us sink.

"This time President Johnson ordered the recall with the comment that he did not care if every man drowned and the ship sank, but that he would not embarrass his allies..."

USS Liberty incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please shut up

I agree completely. But I don't need Duke to tell me that.
Do you think the attack on Liberty was something Israel would plan and execute without authorization from DC?

I knew a few grunts from high school in the summer of '67 who weren't very happy about their role in the "Big Muddy." I don't think anyone I knew ever rolled a grenade into an officer's tent; however, one of my former classmates went AWOL because of what he had seen and done in Vietnam.

If the Liberty had sunk with no survivors many of those disgruntled vets would have torn Egypt to shreds for free, and we might even have boots on the ground in that country today.

How would conservatives and liberals change their voting habits today if it became clear to 90% of Americans their government planned the assault on Liberty in 1967?

You sir, are a moron.

From some of your previous posts, I've concluded you are a Vet.

Do you know if the Medal of Honor is ever awarded in friendly-fire incidents?

"McGonagle received the Medal of Honor, the highest U.S. medal, for his actions.[42][43] The Medal of Honor is generally presented by the President of the United States in the White House,[43][44] but this time it was awarded at the Washington Navy Yard by the Secretary of the Navy in an unpublicized ceremony, breaking with established tradition.[43]

"Other Liberty sailors received decorations for their actions during and after the attack, but most of the award citations omitted mention of Israel as the perpetrator. In 2009, however, a Silver Star awarded to crewmember Terry Halbardier, who braved machine-gun and cannon fire to repair a damaged antenna that restored the ship's communications, in the award citation named Israel as the attacker."

Why do you think Liberty's Captain received his medal in secrecy?

Does the truth matter?

USS Liberty incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back