USMB is STILL a Discussion Forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mods take all the fun out of everything. :sleep:

Dunno.. It's a party everyday in the Mod Room as long as the vending machines are full.. And the Flame Zone is a lot of fun in a weird twisted way...

So just what are you suggesting???? That I should spend more time in the basement cause I'm weird & twisted???????? Or that you already spend too much time down there????

btw.......you guys have vending machines??? I feel cheated I tell ya
th

Twisted can be good and enhance the discussion so long as it's on topic when I'm upstairs and...

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Last edited:

Dunno.. It's a party everyday in the Mod Room as long as the vending machines are full.. And the Flame Zone is a lot of fun in a weird twisted way...

So just what are you suggesting???? That I should spend more time in the basement cause I'm weird & twisted???????? Or that you already spend too much time down there????

th

Twisted can be good and enhance the discussion so long as it's on topic when I'm upstairs and...

*****CHUCKLE*****

except there are times when I just can't help myself.....

We can't score members on effort.. We can't insist that they take serious issues seriously.. We're not judging the flaming that comes with adult discussion.. But we've always insisted that they RESPECT the SPECIFIC topics of every thread outside of the Taunting Forums in EVERY post. And we're gonna continue that unique style of moderation...

The number of "daily outrages" is growing.. The media is less trustworthy than ever.. And REAL discussion boards SHOULD BE at this point -- the more important part of social media.. THIS is where folks are supposed to be sort out the truth and facts.. Not be fed a diet of "alternate facts" or rely on phony fact-checkers..

So -- on the bright side, it's more important than ever to have a rocking place where folks can READ threads and perhaps learn a little more than they heard on the "top of the news"....

But it's getting difficult to CONNECT folks to HAVE discussions.. And we need to work on that. So -- USMB Mod Staff will be focusing on the 1st 2 or 3 pages of EVERY thread to make sure that a solid discussion has at least a CHANCE of germinating and progressing...

To that end, we will be monitoring and massively ejecting folks from threads who just drop in to troll and derail discussions... Might come with warnings or bans, but if you drop in without COMMENTING on a topic, you're gonna be ejected...

Memes are fine if the memes themselves are a comment on the SPECIFIC title and OPost.. But if you're dropping into a thread where you have NO interest in the topic -- find something in the famous Taunting Forums to tag up...

Each side wants their version of what's important to them.. Respect that. And also respect the fact that virtually no one wants to read the same brawling confrontation in EVERY thread... If you want to attack the assertions in an "opposition thread" -- have at it.. DO NOT attack the member in your first posts.. Make the effort to discuss..

That's why we're here. When it get worse --- and it probably will -- we'll STILL BE TRYING to have actual discussions at USMB....
When did you guys decide to do this?

Sounds like a Congressional "inquisition".. LOL... Yesterday in fact. When we ran out of free X-anax in the Mod Lounge...

Hmmm..a X-anax forum in the taunting arena...it could be like the rubber room, but more relaxed

We can't score members on effort.. We can't insist that they take serious issues seriously.. We're not judging the flaming that comes with adult discussion.. But we've always insisted that they RESPECT the SPECIFIC topics of every thread outside of the Taunting Forums in EVERY post. And we're gonna continue that unique style of moderation...

The number of "daily outrages" is growing.. The media is less trustworthy than ever.. And REAL discussion boards SHOULD BE at this point -- the more important part of social media.. THIS is where folks are supposed to be sort out the truth and facts.. Not be fed a diet of "alternate facts" or rely on phony fact-checkers..

So -- on the bright side, it's more important than ever to have a rocking place where folks can READ threads and perhaps learn a little more than they heard on the "top of the news"....

But it's getting difficult to CONNECT folks to HAVE discussions.. And we need to work on that. So -- USMB Mod Staff will be focusing on the 1st 2 or 3 pages of EVERY thread to make sure that a solid discussion has at least a CHANCE of germinating and progressing...

To that end, we will be monitoring and massively ejecting folks from threads who just drop in to troll and derail discussions... Might come with warnings or bans, but if you drop in without COMMENTING on a topic, you're gonna be ejected...

Memes are fine if the memes themselves are a comment on the SPECIFIC title and OPost.. But if you're dropping into a thread where you have NO interest in the topic -- find something in the famous Taunting Forums to tag up...

Each side wants their version of what's important to them.. Respect that. And also respect the fact that virtually no one wants to read the same brawling confrontation in EVERY thread... If you want to attack the assertions in an "opposition thread" -- have at it.. DO NOT attack the member in your first posts.. Make the effort to discuss..

That's why we're here. When it get worse --- and it probably will -- we'll STILL BE TRYING to have actual discussions at USMB....

I was seriously thinking along these lines today after watching this:

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

th

Do you think that's what flacaltenn meant about leniency earlier in the thread?

*****CHUCKLE*****

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

Very possible, but with him, ya never know.

Doesn't help that he starts this thread, then skips town...…..maybe it was his turn to refill those vending machines. :dunno:

We should be safe, since we're having a 'discussion' on a discussion forum so it's 'within the parameters' of the topic of the thread.....right??????

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

Very possible, but with him, ya never know.

Doesn't help that he starts this thread, then skips town...…..maybe it was his turn to refill those vending machines. :dunno:

We should be safe, since we're having a 'discussion' on a discussion forum so it's 'within the parameters' of the topic of the thread.....right??????

th

I spect'... of course we could try leaving flacaltenn in the closet of this thread and...

*****CHUCKLE*****

staying on topic is harder than herding cats

Every single discussion this place has had about Islam gets turned on either attacks on Judaism or Christianity. In some cases, mods have DEMANDED people attack Christianity in threads about Islam, and I have been told in a p.m. that there are no limits placed on one specific antisemite's ability derail any thread they wish by turning them into anti Jew hate fests.

Does this announcement indicate a new policy or will it continue to be business as usual by targeting some posters and not others?

It'll last about as the big deal about that calling people Nazis crap...or the last threat on flaming.

Every single discussion this place has had about Islam gets turned on either attacks on Judaism or Christianity. In some cases, mods have DEMANDED people attack Christianity in threads about Islam, and I have been told in a p.m. that there are no limits placed on one specific antisemite's ability derail any thread they wish by turning them into anti Jew hate fests.

Does this announcement indicate a new policy or will it continue to be business as usual by targeting some posters and not others?
LoL!

You're a real comedian, you know that?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

From post one:

"But it's getting difficult to CONNECT folks to HAVE discussions.. And we need to work on that. So -- USMB Mod Staff will be focusing on the 1st 2 or 3 pages of EVERY thread to make sure that a solid discussion has at least a CHANCE of germinating and progressing..."

Great news!

I avoid a lot of threads because they are full of food throwing tantrums, while the topic itself is long abandoned. I have quit threads when I get accused of things I don't even talk about at all. Too many assumption, too many lies, too many partisan based replies flows freely, that is why threads are destroyed, it is why I avoid 90% of the board, as the threads are long dead when I come visit them.

I have reported the worst of the off topic violations, but would be almost a full time job for all of the perceived violations to report, on some days...., so I don't report much.

I know of a forum that shuts down a thread, weed out the off topic crap, and issue warnings or bans, when the thread reappears, it seems a lot smaller........, they used to just move the entire thread to off the public board, and allow it to run wild, I told them that is a gross mistake because you are now undermining your own rules doing it, and learning to be lousy foulmouthed people, they eventually got my point and eliminated that off the public board thread itself, went back to fully defending the forum rules.

I have learned to be an independent, to be a free thinker, it is why I can see the B.S. of every party affiliation more easily, since I don't subscribe or belong to any ideology camp, I try to run on the truth as much as I can instead.

Last edited:

LoL!

You're a real comedian, you know that?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Hey - nice no-content personal attack.

Now, as to the subject matter of this thread, I will just say that I believe the requirement to stay on topic should apply to all users rather than allowing exceptions for certain privileged identities.

I have stayed off USMB for almost a year and not sure that I am really back- but I appreciate a) the relatively thankless work that moderators do here, even when I disagree with you, and b) the sentiment in this thread.

That being said.....I somehow don't see how the wild crap thrown here at USMB is actually helping people discover the actual facts.
While we can certainly find examples of media bias or media mistakes, the odds of a news report being accurate versus what is posted here is vastly in favor of a news report.

60% of Republicans don't even believe Trump mentioned Biden in his phone call- despite the Trump adminstrations own words- USMB isn't the answer to that kind of willful ignorance.

It's about time the mods proved they were more than a bunch of pretty faces!

mod squad 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back