USMB is STILL a Discussion Forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every single discussion this place has had about Islam gets turned on either attacks on Judaism or Christianity. In some cases, mods have DEMANDED people attack Christianity in threads about Islam, and I have been told in a p.m. that there are no limits placed on one specific antisemite's ability derail any thread they wish by turning them into anti Jew hate fests.

Does this announcement indicate a new policy or will it continue to be business as usual by targeting some posters and not others?

Most all examples of what you describe ARE allowed under scope of discussion -- BECAUSE -- most of the threads on "Islam" are really anectdotal current events or issues attacking Islam...

So just like in politics, when CLinton (either one LOL) is the topic, mod staff can NOT exclude COMPARISONS to Bush or the other Bush or Reagan or even Kennedy...

If the TOPIC and point of the thread is to GENERALIZE about Muslims or Islam,, than COMPARATIVE examples from OTHER religions ARE on topic...

It's hard to balance this out.. That I will say.. But we err on the side of "broadening" the topic rather than narrowing it...

Myriads of threads GENERALIZING every bad, evil or stupid action of that group and demanding the ENTIRE group be slimed, are gonna get some push back.. Whether it's RACE or RELIGION or CULTURE or POLITICS..

If you expect no one to slow down the "shoot them all" train - I've got some alternate forum site suggestions for you...
Myriads of threads GENERALIZING every bad, evil or stupid action of that group and demanding the ENTIRE group be slimed, are gonna get some push back.. Whether it's RACE or RELIGION or CULTURE or POLITICS..
"Push back" by whom? It's the basis of at least half the threads here. No one says a single word as long as it's conservatives name calling the left.

What ACTUALLY happens, however, is that people who know about the ideology called Islam are confronted by those who know nothing about it whatsoever other than the fact they feel compelled to defend it. The ignorant then engage in actions geared towards undermining the subject by changing it to something else altogether in order to distract away from the central subject. These apologists then CLAIM that others are generalizing even when they are being specific, and use these false claims to justify their derailment of the threads.

"Oh, so you say Mohammad ordered his men to rape and so that may provide much of the basis for the massive numbers of children being raped in Britain?? Well, you hate all Muslims and so in order to support the rapes, I will call you an Islamophobe for not getting on board with them, claim you have maligned all Muslims and demand you attack Christians or Jews, instead."

That is not "push back" despite the dishonest claims. That is merely a calculated ruse designed to undermine the very notion of discussing the actual subject matter.
How on earth did we get into Muslims here? Try to stick to the point for once, would ya?

I have a hard time taking the human race seriously flacaltenn

the truth ,at least to me, is we can't view ourselves for what we are

apologies if that's a deal breaker

~S~

Every single discussion this place has had about Islam gets turned on either attacks on Judaism or Christianity. In some cases, mods have DEMANDED people attack Christianity in threads about Islam, and I have been told in a p.m. that there are no limits placed on one specific antisemite's ability derail any thread they wish by turning them into anti Jew hate fests.

Does this announcement indicate a new policy or will it continue to be business as usual by targeting some posters and not others?

Most all examples of what you describe ARE allowed under scope of discussion -- BECAUSE -- most of the threads on "Islam" are really anectdotal current events or issues attacking Islam...

So just like in politics, when CLinton (either one LOL) is the topic, mod staff can NOT exclude COMPARISONS to Bush or the other Bush or Reagan or even Kennedy...

If the TOPIC and point of the thread is to GENERALIZE about Muslims or Islam,, than COMPARATIVE examples from OTHER religions ARE on topic...

It's hard to balance this out.. That I will say.. But we err on the side of "broadening" the topic rather than narrowing it...

If you expect no one to slow down the "shoot them all" train - I've got some alternate forum site suggestions for you...
"Push back" by whom? It's the basis of at least half the threads here. No one says a single word as long as it's conservatives name calling the left.

What ACTUALLY happens, however, is that people who know about the ideology called Islam are confronted by those who know nothing about it whatsoever other than the fact they feel compelled to defend it. The ignorant then engage in actions geared towards undermining the subject by changing it to something else altogether in order to distract away from the central subject. These apologists then CLAIM that others are generalizing even when they are being specific, and use these false claims to justify their derailment of the threads.

"Oh, so you say Mohammad ordered his men to rape and so that may provide much of the basis for the massive numbers of children being raped in Britain?? Well, you hate all Muslims and so in order to support the rapes, I will call you an Islamophobe for not getting on board with them, claim you have maligned all Muslims and demand you attack Christians or Jews, instead."

That is not "push back" despite the dishonest claims. That is merely a calculated ruse designed to undermine the very notion of discussing the actual subject matter.
How on earth did we get into Muslims here? Try to stick to the point for once, would ya?
I brought it up as an example of this forum's support for derailing threads, which counters any claim that might be made by way of staying on topic. "Yes -- do stay on topic, but not when we demand you don't!"

Heck, there was even a post on this thread that was nothing more than a personal attack against me with absolutely no topical content which wasn't addressed, so I do question the sincerity of the announcement.

It seems to me that rules should apply to all equally rather than allowing some to not follow them while applying extra scrutiny to others.

There is no such thing as a "not-fixable" thread, there is no such thing as an issue that isn't fit for the CDZ, just posters not fit to discuss things respectfully.

Any thread in the clean debate forum that acts as a polemic designed to ridicule the other side is fubar from the get go. We had one political operative working for the Hillary campaign who indulged in endless posts in the CDZ that consisted of little beyond "democrats are smart, republicans are stupid" Those were not invitations to debate rationally, but simply the laying down of a gauntlet and intentional manipulation.

As for that one in CDZ -- seems like mod staff bounced that OUT of CDZ awhile ago and yes it was not "fixable".. It ended up in a Taunting forum...

Funny, how that goes.

The USMB is STILL a Discussion Forum. Just, in case a thread alights in the CDZ with "Trump" in the title, and a hint of criticism of the Dear Leader, the intellectual equivalent of wild boars descend on it, turning the Discussion Forum into their urinal. Then, it's being declared "not fixable", or "not fit for the CDZ", and instead of bouncing the wild boars, the thread is bounced.

There is no such thing as a "not-fixable" thread, there is no such thing as an issue that isn't fit for the CDZ, just posters not fit to discuss things respectfully. If you can't keep the CDZ, slowly moving as it is, clean, what hope is there to keep, say, "Politics" on topic?

Threads that deal with day to day retail politics are really NOT CDZ material.. We generally move them out very quickly unless they have a "higher purpose"...

Because political discussion is not ISSUE discussion lately.. Do I have to elaborate on that? LOL....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back