USB Turntable to MP3 on Laptop - Need adfise

JBG

Liberal democrat
Jan 8, 2012
New York City area
I have a Sony USB turntable. My SoundForge 9 software worked well with Windows 10, but not Windows 11. Should I get Audacity? Freeware or paid?
Thanks for any advice.

Thanks for any advice.

You sound like another fool about to commit the colossal mistake of ruining his record collection by trying to digitize it. You'll be sorry.

Want real advice from an audio pro?
  1. Get a REAL turntable with a quality pickup.
  2. Get a good phono preamp.
  3. Enjoy your LPs on a good sound system instead of fooling yourself that you'll "save" and compact your records into digitized computer files.

I have a Sony USB turntable. My SoundForge 9 software worked well with Windows 10, but not Windows 11. Should I get Audacity? Freeware or paid?
Thanks for any advice.
Can't comment on the LP to MP3 conversion but I run Audacity on a W11 pro laptop for compositions and vocals and it works well.

Thanks for any advice.
Audacity freeware is perfectly adequate.

First though, you should make sure Windows recognizes your audio device.

Your turntable is an "input", like a microphone, except it's probably coming in on the line input. So, make sure to select the line input on your sound card. (Most of them are pretty automatic these days, they'll detect whatever's plugged in).

The windows control panel has a little tester you can use, to see if you're getting signal. It's under the sound card in the dialog.

If you're not getting signal, it could mean a number of things, but the shortcut to the fix is to download ASIO, and select that as your sound source. You can use ASIO to make your card compatible with Windows.

If that doesn't work, I'm stumped.

Can't comment on the LP to MP3 conversion but I run Audacity on a W11 pro laptop for compositions and vocals and it works well.

I have been doing that with Cool Edit Pro for over 2 decades now.

But I also have never used a USB turntable but a quality one from the 1980s run through a mixing board. All of which can be picked up for well under $200 these days.

First though, you should make sure Windows recognizes your audio device.

Exactly, that is very likely the problem, and can be driver related.

That is why for over 2 decades, I have used direct line-in feeds. I have always found the "USB device" inputs or outputs to be a bit wonky. And the more such devices you add to your system, the more likely you will have conflicts.

I have been doing that with Cool Edit Pro for over 2 decades now.

But I also have never used a USB turntable but a quality one from the 1980s run through a mixing board. All of which can be picked up for well under $200 these days.
The OP had a specific question about Audacity and Windows 11 which is what I'm using successfully. I'm guessing since he has a USB turntable, he wouldn't want to mess with external hardware although that's certainly an option.

I'm guessing since he has a USB turntable, he wouldn't want to mess with external hardware although that's certainly an option.

That is how professionals have done it for decades. And today, analog equipment like that is amazingly cheap and normally of much better quality than the stuff made today.

But I am also tending to believe the issue is somewhere in his audio mixer settings. Either that or drivers, so it is not placing the turntable as the proper device in the mixer.

That is how professionals have done it for decades. And today, analog equipment like that is amazingly cheap and normally of much better quality than the stuff made today.

But I am also tending to believe the issue is somewhere in his audio mixer settings. Either that or drivers, so it is not placing the turntable as the proper device in the mixer.
Yes I know, I used to have a tascam mixing board, but me and most of the musicians I collaborate with record and mix all digital.

Forum List

Back