US Navy investigates potential LCS class-wide design flaw

Seems like an electric propulsion system would have been far simpler, combining the power from turbines and diesels electrically instead of mechanically.
That makes zero sense, as all electric propulsion systems have mechanical parts
No shit, genius. Did you read the article? Did you comprehend it? They're trying to mechanically combine the output power from two diesel engines and two gas turbine engines through one complicated gearbox system. The gearbox is failing, and they don't understand why yet.

Imagine an electrical power plant with steam turbines and a large diesel generator. Are all the output shafts ganged together mechanically, or are the alternators from each unit ganged together electrically?

Hint: They're tied together electrically. Matter of fact, every generator online at any given moment feeding power to the national electrical grid are all tied together electrically...NOT mechanically.

My statement makes perfect sense. An electric drive system would be far simpler.

I agree that it would be far easier to combing the engines by hooking them all to generators and then using them all to power an electric drive system.
But even better would be to give each engine its own water jet propultion system.
That would eliminate the size and weight of all the generators, and give much better redundancy in case of wartime damage.
That would indeed be workable.

Now esalla is going to say you want the Navy to be powered by jacuzzis.
Actually we would all be better off if you were a Huntington Ingalls or General Dynamics propulsion engineer or you could apply to Boeing to help design the new autonomous drone submarine.

Schizzo talent like yours however is not really in great demand

CIAO
I left the Air Force better than when I found it. I did my part.

You didn't. Your petulant foot-stamping about buying stocks is silly. If you hadn't, someone else would have. You're not special.

Me? I innovated processes and data products. I made the jobs I held easier for the next guy, and more valuable to the unit. I saved lives. I saved millions of dollars worth of fighter aircraft, of the US Air Force, the US Navy, and Britain's Royal Air Force.

I made a difference.

You can't say the same.
LOL you saved millions of dollars of fighter aircraft, of the US Air Force, the US Navy, and Britain's Royal Air Force.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Millions of dollars of fighter aircraft is one half of wing on one fighter

Try again dicktard

Yea without you there would be no military, but face it if you were not there building locomotive powered ships and cleaning the head, someone else would have done it.

So are delusions of grandeur fun
12 aircraft. 18 aircrew. Half a billion dollars' worth of weapons systems.

Look, I know you feel bad about never having made a difference.

Too bad. Such a waste.
You sound like Rambo in charge of million dollar equipment

Still living in the past, pretending that without you everything fell apart.

You were a number, nothing more

FIRST BLOOD Rambo Crying HD - YouTube
Yes, we get it. You're still flapping the shreds of your ego, pretending you accomplished something in the face of people who actually did.
LOL, was it fun pumping aviation fuel into those jets. You are correct, someone had to do it? Did they let you pull out the wheel chocks too?

How does the military exist without you

Last edited:
Cut that low-class private-rank democrat military commie news-boy shit out.
Defensenews.com, Stripes.com, Military.com, TheIntercept.com, MilitaryTimes.com, ArmyTimes.com, Wavy.com, AirForceTimes.com, MarineCorpsTimes.com, HomelandSecurityNewsWire.com, worthless traitor trash all of it. Spamming and link-farming.

Seems like an electric propulsion system would have been far simpler, combining the power from turbines and diesels electrically instead of mechanically.
No shit, genius. Did you read the article? Did you comprehend it? They're trying to mechanically combine the output power from two diesel engines and two gas turbine engines through one complicated gearbox system. The gearbox is failing, and they don't understand why yet.

Imagine an electrical power plant with steam turbines and a large diesel generator. Are all the output shafts ganged together mechanically, or are the alternators from each unit ganged together electrically?

Hint: They're tied together electrically. Matter of fact, every generator online at any given moment feeding power to the national electrical grid are all tied together electrically...NOT mechanically.

My statement makes perfect sense. An electric drive system would be far simpler.

I agree that it would be far easier to combing the engines by hooking them all to generators and then using them all to power an electric drive system.
But even better would be to give each engine its own water jet propultion system.
That would eliminate the size and weight of all the generators, and give much better redundancy in case of wartime damage.

Actually we would all be better off if you were a Huntington Ingalls or General Dynamics propulsion engineer or you could apply to Boeing to help design the new autonomous drone submarine.

CIAO

You didn't. Your petulant foot-stamping about buying stocks is silly. If you hadn't, someone else would have. You're not special.

Me? I innovated processes and data products. I made the jobs I held easier for the next guy, and more valuable to the unit. I saved lives. I saved millions of dollars worth of fighter aircraft, of the US Air Force, the US Navy, and Britain's Royal Air Force.

I made a difference.

You can't say the same.
LOL you saved millions of dollars of fighter aircraft, of the US Air Force, the US Navy, and Britain's Royal Air Force.

Try again dicktard

Yea without you there would be no military, but face it if you were not there building locomotive powered ships and cleaning the head, someone else would have done it.

Too bad. Such a waste.

Yes, we get it. You're still flapping the shreds of your ego, pretending you accomplished something in the face of people who actually did.
LOL, was it fun pumping aviation fuel into those jets. You are correct, someone had to do it? Did they let you pull out the wheel chocks too?

3E0X2. Electrical power production. I had nothing directly to do with aircraft, unless they broke and needed aircraft arresting systems to stop safely.

There is so very little you know about the military. You should stop talking about it.

CIAO

I made a difference.

You can't say the same.

Try again dicktard

Too bad. Such a waste.

3E0X2. Electrical power production. I had nothing directly to do with aircraft, unless they broke and needed aircraft arresting systems to stop safely.

There is so very little you know about the military. You should stop talking about it.
LOL so you pedaled a stationary bike producing electrical power for the professors radio

So did the military end when your number was out?

latest

CIAO

I made a difference.

You can't say the same.

Try again dicktard

Too bad. Such a waste.

LOL so you pedaled a stationary bike producing electrical power for the professors radio

So did the military end when your number was out?

latest
I led a crew responsible for the maintenance of the largest expeditionary power plant in US military history.

You ain't done shit, Skippy. Dismissed.

My father had to forget what he did and saw, he had to forget everything that he was a part of even though he was proud. I knew the man for 22 years and again he never spoke of what he did, other than when I was three he told me that the men charging up the beach in the movie the sands of iwo jima, like heroes were all dead as he held back tears. I was about three and that told me all I had to know. You have given at least a hundred times that much info here and all you admitted to doing was nothing. There are men and women out there with no limbs, they were there, you were not. What is sad is that you can not admit what your function was even though you talk nonstop
A guy talks so pretty in the Navy, you'd think he might have found a girlfriend and been married that many years after getting out.

Typical "Foreign Policy" article. In case you did not know, they are never really taken seriously. That is obvious in this, where it spends most of the article talking about anything but the Navy itself. Even discussing former Presidents from over 40 years ago, and giving very misleading information. That while technically true, is not really factually true.

Together, the many failures constitute a lost generation of shipbuilding, leaving the Navy unready at a time when China has already built the world’s biggest fleet, with more hulls splashing off its slipways every year.

While indeed the PLAN does indeed have 498 "combat ships" compared to the US Navy's 250, you have to look at what the ships themselves are and not just the numbers. A lot of those ships would not even make a moderate patrol ship in the US Coast Guard. Like the 82 Type 22 Missile Boats, at 220 tons. We have just as many ships of similar weight, size, and configuration. But they are all in the Coast Guard, not the Navy.

And a lot of those ships that count in the PLAN are also not counted in the USN as they are "Auxiliaries", and not part of the Navy itself. Like most of the large and long distance transports, fuelers, ocean going tugs, and the like. Add in the USN Auxiliary Fleet as well as the Coast Guard and the US Navy not only has a hell of a lot more ships, it also significantly outweighs the PLAN.

Of course, then you have to take into consideration that China never really operates its Navy as a "Fleet". In fact, it is one of the least used and deployed navies in the world. Rarely leaving port for more than a few weeks, almost always operating singly and in pairs, leaving port to do a patrol, then returning to port. Most do not take them all that seriously, mostly because China has never taken their own Navy seriously.

Rarely leaving port for more than a few weeks, almost always operating singly and in pairs, leaving port to do a patrol, then returning to port. Most do not take them all that seriously, mostly because China has never taken their own Navy seriously.
Does this mean that China keeps its fleet exclusively for defensive functions?

Simpler yes. But IIRC an electric drive system would be considerably less efficient than the mechanical drive.

I know, if the mechanical drive doesn't work its useless anyway but you know.

Does this mean that China keeps its fleet exclusively for defensive functions?

No, it means they almost never use it at all.

In my more serious military forums, we often discuss the state of the PLAN. Which by the way shows its very importance in the hierarchy of the Chinese Military. The "People's Liberation Army Navy". As if, it is a much lesser part of the Army and not its own branch.

We discuss how little time their navy really puts out to sea. And normally when it does, in short spurts of 2-4 weeks, then returning straight to port. Mostly we use terms of it being a "Green Water Navy" with no "sea legs". Not to be insulting, but in actually describing how they operate. They never made the leap to the next stage.

In much the same way, the Imperial Russian Fleet prior to the Soviets was the same way. Primarily only concerned with the waters of their own nation and immediately nearby, and not at all with anything farther away. Both Imperial Russia and China were very myopic in that aspect. As were the Soviets, until WWII. At which time they finally realized what a Navy meant and could do, and started to do the exact opposite.

But you can tell the cultural inclination, as when the Soviets fell the new Russian Navy once again became largely internal, rarely putting to sea as it once had in the past.

In reality, you have one of two things. You have a "Real Navy", or you have a coast guard. One is entirely defensive, the other is both offensive and defensive. One simply sticks near the home waters to scare away bad guys. The other does that, but can also go out and put the fear into others thousands of miles away. For all it's loss in the last century, the UK and France still have the latter. So does the US, it never lost that. Even Japan is starting to rebuild its offensive naval capabilities.

China? Has never been more than a glorified coast guard. One of the reasons why we often look at it in scorn when it comes to their taking offensive actions. They have never trained for that! They have none of the experience that is required for doing such a thing. It is as silly as taking a Division of the Saudi Army and throwing them into a battle to take over Finland. An area they would have never experienced, and most of their training would be worthless in.

Forum List

Back