US Keeps 50 Nuclear Weapons On Turkish Air Base, Now They're Erdogans Hostages

Don't get your panties in a bunch. The US has nuclear weapons in some non nuclear NATO member states, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Turkey and the Netherlands, and has had them there since 2009. So now you're saying Obama made a mistake back in 2009?
Are any of those nations invading neighbors?
What does that have to do with NATO or US nuclear weapons?
Turkey is invading Syria..Assad is racing with his entire army to stop them..the Kurds are surging--hostilities will be theater wide...in 48 hours, if nothing stops it...this means that the airbase is very much in play..and maybe a target.

As folks like to say..the situation is fluid--some see these sorts of times as windows of opportunity.
It sounds exciting, but Assad is not going to try to invade Turkey and the Kurds are running for their lives.
It would surprise me...historically the Kurds are fierce..and they have allies in three countries....I note that all reports have them running...straight for the Turkish border!

Assad invade Turkey? Nope....but he may well see this as his time to consolidate his hold on Syria. Unite his people against Turkey.
Assad and his forces couldn't fight his way out of wet paper bag...........Our being there is the only reason he isn't taking a dirt nap now.

Hostages..................you people crack me up.............It's like a Cartoon.

The current program dates back only to 2009 so it is not part of the Cold War. The weapons are safeguarded by "permissive action links" that prevent them from being armed or detonated without US authorization. The weapons are, of course, guarded by US military personnel.
Yes..surrounded by how many millions of Turks? I get that it is, unlikely, that the Turks would go for them..but how about the Kurds..that's a lot of power..in some minds--the ones that don't know that we would pop a nuke..to keep those bombs safe.
There are no likely scenarios in which these bombs could be captured by any bad actors and it is near impossible that anyone not authorized to use them would be able to arm or detonate them. However, if you are writing a film script, it might be an idea that would sell.
Totally agree..worst case and far fetched---just pointing out that long shots do come in..sometimes.

Leaving out the bombs....an attack on the base would be bad enough....if Americans die.

I will point out..that this is the direct result of Trump's decisions--so I guess we shall see....
Actually, it was Obama's decision to deploy the nuclear weapons to Turkey, not Trump's.
Not what i meant at all...the proximate cause of the current conflict is the power vacuum that Trump induced..against the advice of his military and diplomatic team.
You are missing the point. The US is not accepting the responsibility for maintaining a balance of power in Syria. The conflict between the Kurds and the Turks is no more our business than it is Italy's business or France's business or anyone else's business. The US and the Kurds were never allies until we had a common enemy in Saddam Hussein and then in ISIS. We no longer have a common enemy so we are no longer allies. The US has no vital interests in Syria at this time so there is no reason for the US military to be there. The power vacuum you think you saw has already been filled by Assad and his allies.

Are any of those nations invading neighbors?
Turkey is invading Syria..Assad is racing with his entire army to stop them..the Kurds are surging--hostilities will be theater wide...in 48 hours, if nothing stops it...this means that the airbase is very much in play..and maybe a target.

As folks like to say..the situation is fluid--some see these sorts of times as windows of opportunity.
It sounds exciting, but Assad is not going to try to invade Turkey and the Kurds are running for their lives.
It would surprise me...historically the Kurds are fierce..and they have allies in three countries....I note that all reports have them running...straight for the Turkish border!

Assad invade Turkey? Nope....but he may well see this as his time to consolidate his hold on Syria. Unite his people against Turkey.
Assad and his forces couldn't fight his way out of wet paper bag...........Our being there is the only reason he isn't taking a dirt nap now.

Hostages..................you people crack me up.............It's like a Cartoon.
LOL! Speaking of having a good laugh...The only reason that Assad is not taking a 'dirt nap' is that Putin and the Russians backed his play...had it been up to us..Assad would have been dead for years.

Yes..surrounded by how many millions of Turks? I get that it is, unlikely, that the Turks would go for them..but how about the Kurds..that's a lot of power..in some minds--the ones that don't know that we would pop a nuke..to keep those bombs safe.
There are no likely scenarios in which these bombs could be captured by any bad actors and it is near impossible that anyone not authorized to use them would be able to arm or detonate them. However, if you are writing a film script, it might be an idea that would sell.
Totally agree..worst case and far fetched---just pointing out that long shots do come in..sometimes.

Leaving out the bombs....an attack on the base would be bad enough....if Americans die.

I will point out..that this is the direct result of Trump's decisions--so I guess we shall see....
Actually, it was Obama's decision to deploy the nuclear weapons to Turkey, not Trump's.
Not what i meant at all...the proximate cause of the current conflict is the power vacuum that Trump induced..against the advice of his military and diplomatic team.
You are missing the point. The US is not accepting the responsibility for maintaining a balance of power in Syria. The conflict between the Kurds and the Turks is no more our business than it is Italy's business or France's business or anyone else's business. The US and the Kurds were never allies until we had a common enemy in Saddam Hussein and then in ISIS. We no longer have a common enemy so we are no longer allies. The US has no vital interests in Syria at this time so there is no reason for the US military to be there. The power vacuum you think you saw has already been filled by Assad and his allies.
Oh I get the point..and even agree with it..but the abruptness of the withdrawal..and the indecision of some----has made it much harder than it had to be.

LOL! Speaking of having a good laugh...The only reason that Assad is not taking a 'dirt nap' is that Putin and the Russians backed his play...had it been up to us..Assad would have been dead for years.
Just shows how ignorant you are then................Removing leaders there hasn't worked well for us now has it..............And you would have replaced them with El Nusra.............Turks...............LOL.........

Assad is a pacifist compared to them................he is secular and actually protected Christians there..........did you know that..............hmmmm

Is he harsh..........you betcha........because anyone over there who isn't ends up dead by the Radical elements of Islam..........It is REALITY THERE.............always has been............Only fools want to wiggle when in quick sand.........takes you in deeper till you can't escape...........

No thanks...............and BTW......Erdogen wants a Caliphate to retake the middle east and wipe Israel off the face of the earth............did you know that................hmmm

Glad your sorry butt isn't in charge.

Oh I get the point..and even agree with it..but the abruptness of the withdrawal..and the indecision of some----has made it much harder than it had to be.
I don't know how else it could be done. Whenever the US troops left the Turks were going to move in and the Kurds were going to resist.

Back in 2012, it was up to us, but Obama declined to do more than talk about it. It was understandable. Obama was so busy destroying Iraq by withdrawing our troops and creating ISIS by ending the funding of Sunni militias that were fighting against al Qaeda, he just didn't have the time to bother with Syria.

Back in 2012, it was up to us, but Obama declined to do more than talk about it. It was understandable. Obama was so busy destroying Iraq by withdrawing our troops and creating ISIS by ending the funding of Sunni militias that were fighting against al Qaeda, he just didn't have the time to bother with Syria.
You needed to add the gun running............and ISIS proudly holding U.S. weapons up as trophies under the Obumbler.........

How did Libya fair out...............I kinda forgot about it..........seem to remember the rebels........aka terrorist there having a party at the U.S. embassy or something............hmmmm..........maybe.

But OBAMA!!!!!!!!

Trump just blew up the Middle East...in one friggin day

A week ago...Isis was dead as far as holding land.

Today they have new forces and a huge swath of Syria in chaos...where they thrive..

Hundreds of thousands of refugees

But OBAMA!!!!!!!!

Trump just blew up the Middle East...in one friggin day

A week ago...Isis was dead as far as holding land.

Today they have new forces and a huge swath of Syria in chaos...where they thrive..

Hundreds of thousands of refugees
So you finally figured out that ISIS is really a proxy force of Turkey.................took you long enough

The chaos resulting from Donald Trump's seemingly out-of-the-blue decision to withdraw U.S. troops from their positions in Kurdish-held Syria, greenlighting an all-out Turkish invasion, continues to grow. Trump's move was so precipitous that U.S. forces in the region were caught completely unaware. That includes U.S. nuclear forces.

As reported by The New York Times: "[O]ver the weekend, State and Energy Department officials were quietly reviewing plans for evacuating roughly 50 tactical nuclear weapons that the United States had long stored, under American control, at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey."

U.S. military keeps 50 nuclear weapons on Turkish airbase, and now they're 'Erdogan's hostages'

Thats 50 thermonuclear devices boys and girls. Sure hope cadet bonespurs has someone thats not him who actually has a plan.
Ten dollars says you and your media scum are lying sacks.

Forum List

Back