US Army Shoots Down Cruise Missile with Howitzer

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Well, it is the 21st Century.

New toy the Air Force wants. AI takes data of the battlefield from air, ground and sea and figures out what to do and who should do it.

Yes, but I wonder how far one of these can throw a pumpkin? :smoke:
Well, the Army has had in its inventory for 3 or 4 years a 105mm towed howitzer that fires a rocket propelled anti-tank round. It's laser guided, fired from a distance of 50 miles and a helicopter crewman can guide the round into a target painted on a tank turret. I posted a video in the military forum a couple years ago.

New toy the Air Force wants. AI takes data of the battlefield from air, ground and sea and figures out what to do and who should do it.

How would a piece of artillery like that track a missile?
Are the projectiles guided?
They can hit a trash can 30 miles away.

If true, the calculus is mind boggling. I was the projectal man in a 5 inch gun. When we fired at the target, towed by a plane, we got very few bursts. Imagine the roll, pitch and yaw, the DD's speed and the target's speed.

A trash can isnt moving at a high rate of speed.

However, those rounds can be fitted with laser acquisition technology and a forward observer in a helicopter can paint a slow moving tank or truck to guide it on target.

However, those rounds can be fitted with laser acquisition technology and a forward observer in a helicopter can paint a slow moving tank or truck to guide it on target.

I thought these were kinetic rounds with no guidance system.

Generally without guidance because the rounds cost thousands of dollars each and adding a laser guidance system costs a heap of money. I'll find the chart and post the cost.

I saw or read something on guidance for arty rounds
Maybe Military Channel

Forum List

Back