Unknown hero in Congress snuck 5 pages of new Russia sanctions into spending bill

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
And as we all know, Trump doesn't read :)

Buried in the massive $1.3 trillion spending bill that Congress is considering this week are strict new punishments against Russia, in what lawmakers and aides say is a message to President Donald Trump to reconsider his relaxed posture toward Moscow.

The legislation, which Trump was always expected to sign, includes restrictions that bar many federal agencies from engaging financially or otherwise with the Kremlin and its backers on a number of fronts. Lawmakers from both parties viewed those provisions and others as an opportunity to enshrine new punishments against Vladimir Putin’s regime at a time when the Trump administration has taken heat for its refusal to immediately and fully implement mandatory sanctions and other punishments.

“Those [sanctions] were a good first step. But I do think that these newer sanctions hopefully put a little more bite to it. And frankly I think that’s a good thing,” Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) told The Daily Beast. “The Russians are guilty of bad behavior all over the world. And so we shouldn’t be doing anything to encourage or condone that.”​

Continued:

Congress Snuck New Russia Sanctions Into Spending Bill

Yeah, keep spreading that lie, just as all the others. If someone has a lick of sense they can find the truth. Guess you don’t have it.

Like I posted before, this is just the beginning of the discovery process of the 2200 page spending bill that NO ONE read. We'll see how happy you are about another hero that snuck in cuts to Planned Parenthood.

Buried in the massive $1.3 trillion spending bill that Congress is considering this week are strict new punishments against Russia, in what lawmakers and aides say is a message to President Donald Trump to reconsider his relaxed posture toward Moscow.

The legislation, which Trump was always expected to sign, includes restrictions that bar many federal agencies from engaging financially or otherwise with the Kremlin and its backers on a number of fronts. Lawmakers from both parties viewed those provisions and others as an opportunity to enshrine new punishments against Vladimir Putin’s regime at a time when the Trump administration has taken heat for its refusal to immediately and fully implement mandatory sanctions and other punishments.

“Those [sanctions] were a good first step. But I do think that these newer sanctions hopefully put a little more bite to it. And frankly I think that’s a good thing,” Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) told The Daily Beast. “The Russians are guilty of bad behavior all over the world. And so we shouldn’t be doing anything to encourage or condone that.”​

Continued:

Are you equally pleased about the "sneaking in" of the Cloud act that drastically expands the government's ability to spy on people?

What a surprise, a leftist that is anti-liberty.

I am opposed to domestic overreach.

But we either keep an eye on these Russian trolls and various other bad actors abroad (Assange, etc) or they're going to steal our democracy.

If you live abroad and are doing nothing wrong, then you have nothing to fear.

Like I posted before, this is just the beginning of the discovery process of the 2200 page spending bill that NO ONE read. We'll see how happy you are about another hero that snuck in cuts to Planned Parenthood.

I haven't seen the Planned Parenthood cuts - Do you have a link?

But we either keep an eye on these Russian trolls and various other bad actors abroad (Assange, etc) or they're going to steal our democracy.

It's not about spying on people living abroad. It's about outsourcing the spying to foreign nations and also expands data sharing between nations so states like Saudi Arabia will be able to use American tech agencies to spy on atheists or gays or whatever.

It's not about spying on people living abroad. It's about outsourcing the spying to foreign nations and also expands data sharing between nations so states like Saudi Arabia will be able to use American tech agencies to spy on atheists or gays or whatever.

Sorry - I'm not reading that in. If I'm mistaken, I'll be happy to admit it.

Link?

Sorry - I'm not reading that in. If I'm mistaken, I'll be happy to admit it.

Link?

The Cloud Act Is a Sinister Piece of Legislation – ACLU – Medium

The bill starts by giving the executive branch dramatically more power than it has today. It would allow Attorney General Sessions to enter into agreements with foreign governments that bypass current law, without any approval from Congress. Under these agreements, foreign governments would be able to get emails and other electronic information without any additional scrutiny by a U.S. judge or official. And, while the attorney general would need to consider a country’s human rights record, he is not prohibited from entering into an agreement with a country that has committed human rights abuses.

Continued:

Too bad they didn't stick DACA in there. The Republicans are gonna get hurt by that.

Forum List

Back