Univ. of Connecticut designating dorms "BLACK MALE ONLY"

I knew right away that was a bunch of bullshit handed to the FOX news low info voters... whoever their 'reporter' was , didn't even bother to check into that story, first 'reported' by Glenn Beck's own 'Blaze' internet rag. No surprise there.

Color-Coded Campus
The University of Connecticut isn't building a new dorm for black students only.
Kim LaCapria
19 hours ago

Claim: The University of Connecticut (UConn) is constructing a dormitory solely to house black students.

red.gif
FALSE

WHAT'S TRUE: UConn is launching a new initiative called "ScHOLA²RS," a scholastic program for black students.

WHAT'S FALSE: UConn is building a segregated dorm in which only black students may live.

[...]

'Blacks Only' Dorm at UConn?

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Once this cat is out of the bag, every victim group dejour will clamor for its own housing..
Y'know, that's a fair point, but I'm not so sure.

No other ethnic group has been as isolated by PC and Identity Politics as American Blacks, and this is just another manifestation of that.

Well, at least I hope you're wrong...

The country has been slowly balkanizing for the past 20 years or so. I partly blame identity politics supporters, but I also blame progressives in general, due to their desire to impose one site fits all federal regulations and laws across the board, all in lockstep with their desire to have everyone be just like them *but somehow diverse and different".

It's like letting toddlers try to fly a 747.

Is this the 1960s with a democrat standing on the school house steps yelling segregation today, segregation tomorrow? Assuming this story to be true why isn't there outrage over this segregation?

UConn building 'black-only' living space to promote scholarship | Fox News
[/FONT]
Faced with alarmingly low graduation rates for black males, the University of Connecticut is trying something it calls bold -- and critics call segregation.
The school's main campus in Storrs has launched a program slated for fall in which 40 black male undergraduates live together in on-campus housing. Proponents believe the students can draw on their common experiences and help each other make it to commencement. But others cringe at the idea of black-only housing, saying it turns decades of hard-fought racial progress on its head.

In other words, diversity is a good thing....except for black people. They don't need to be exposed to diversity. Mainly, just white people need to be exposed to diversity, because white people are bad.

And this is what they call "white privilege."

wow... sounds like some of you all are STILL believing that totally made up 'news' story?

typical.

Here is some info on the program from Uconn: ScHOLA²RS House | Learning Community Program
Is this the 1960s with a democrat standing on the school house steps yelling segregation today, segregation tomorrow? Assuming this story to be true why isn't there outrage over this segregation?

[/FONT]
Faced with alarmingly low graduation rates for black males, the University of Connecticut is trying something it calls bold -- and critics call segregation.
The school's main campus in Storrs has launched a program slated for fall in which 40 black male undergraduates live together in on-campus housing. Proponents believe the students can draw on their common experiences and help each other make it to commencement. But others cringe at the idea of black-only housing, saying it turns decades of hard-fought racial progress on its head.

In other words, diversity is a good thing....except for black people. They don't need to be exposed to diversity. Mainly, just white people need to be exposed to diversity, because white people are bad.

And this is what they call "white privilege."

I don't get the gist of your post. Should there be segregation, as long as the reason is "justified." Or should there not be segregation of any form?

wow... sounds like some of you all are STILL believing that totally made up 'news' story?

typical.

Nope, not totally made up at all:

From the UConn site: ScHOLA²RS House | Learning Community Program

Why are you developing a Learning Community exclusively for African American/Black males? What about Black females?
Nationally, as well as at the University of Connecticut, the retention and graduation rate of black males is generally significantly lower than that of other demographic groups, whereas the graduation rate for black women is higher. There are a number of factors contributing to these statistics. In response to the research on black male success in college, we have developed a grant-funded program to intentionally provide a supportive community of engagement for students using the successful Learning Community model which provides enrichment programs for undergraduate students on campus. A research study will be conducted to inform the higher education community about which factors influence the success of black males in college. Black females are encouraged to consider applying to participate in one of our other Learning Community options. There are also a number of students, faculty, and staff who have expressed an interest in supporting or collaborating with ScHOLA²RS House, and we welcome these requests.

'...ScHOLA2RS House will not be a segregated residence hall, Reitz said, but will be situated within a larger -- still under construction -- living-learning center that will include several programs and 700 other students....'

The bigger question should be why did Glenn Beck's rag blatantly lie & why did FOX run with the story b4 checking out the real facts?

typical.

Why are you developing a Learning Community exclusively for African American/Black males? What about Black females?
Nationally, as well as at the University of Connecticut, the retention and graduation rate of black males is generally significantly lower than that of other demographic groups, whereas the graduation rate for black women is higher. There are a number of factors contributing to these statistics. In response to the research on black male success in college, we have developed a grant-funded program to intentionally provide a supportive community of engagement for students using the successful Learning Community model which provides enrichment programs for undergraduate students on campus. A research study will be conducted to inform the higher education community about which factors influence the success of black males in college. Black females are encouraged to consider applying to participate in one of our other Learning Community options. There are also a number of students, faculty, and staff who have expressed an interest in supporting or collaborating with ScHOLA²RS House, and we welcome these requests.

Ya, I read it. BTW, I live in CT- & not one news station reported on the bogus 'segregation' lie, because that is what it is. 'Segregation' is a forced situation. This program would be on a volunteer basis, unless you think all black males will have to be assigned to this program/building?

'...ScHOLA2RS House will not be a segregated residence hall, Reitz said, but will be situated within a larger -- still under construction -- living-learning center that will include several programs and 700 other students....'

The bigger question should be why did Glenn Beck's rag blatantly lie & why did FOX run with the story b4 checking out the real facts?

Here is the headline I posted:
UConn building 'black-only' living space to promote scholarship | Fox

Not Glenn Beck, first thing you are wrong ab out.

Second, it does not say a building or a dorm it says a living space, which by the link to the UConn site is very true, second thing you were wrong about.

typical.

Ya, I read it. BTW, I live in CT- & not one news station reported on the bogus 'segregation' lie, because that is what it is. 'Segregation' is a forced situation. This program would be on a volunteer basis, unless you think all black males will have to be assigned to this program/building?

seg·re·ga·tion
ˌseɡrəˈɡāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. the action or state of setting someone or something apart from other people or things or being set apart.
    "the segregation of pupils with learning difficulties"

typical.

seg·re·ga·tion
ˌseɡrəˈɡāSH(ə)n/
noun

• the action or state of setting someone or something apart from other people or things or being set apart.
      "the segregation of pupils with learning difficulties"

If one doesn't participate, will they be barred from an education there?

[/FONT]
Political correctness at its best...

Here is the headline I posted:
UConn building 'black-only' living space to promote scholarship | Fox

Not Glenn Beck, first thing you are wrong ab out.

Second, it does not say a building or a dorm it says a living space, which by the link to the UConn site is very true, second thing you were wrong about.

I didn't say YOU got it from GB's rag. I know you posted a FOX story. What I said was FOX got it from the Blaze. from the snopes link I posted earlier...

'...Origin: On 31 January 2016, The Blaze published an article reporting that the University of Connecticut was building a dorm to house black students only'

'Blacks Only' Dorm at UConn?

After the Blaze 'reported'- it went thru facebook & the twittersphere & FOX picked it from there.

gee, & here I thought 'living space' on campus (excluding frat houses) are considered 'dorms'. lol.

Just wow. From their OWN page on the project of what the name ScHOLA2RS stands for-

ScHOLA²RS House

Scholastic House Of Leaders who are African American Researchers & Scholars

Forum List

Back