United Airlines Says 50% of the Next 5,000 Pilots They Train Will be Black Women or People of Color

Where are we as a nation when an airline tells us in effect they will not choose the best qualified candidates for pilot training anymore? Brain surgeons, rocket scientists? Qualified white males need not apply.

You have been comfortable flying with some who were hired because of the Good Ole Boy Network.

I'm a retired Airline Transport Pilot. I started flying at 14 and soloed on my 16th birthday. I was selected for and got my wings by surviving the rigors of USAF pilot training. (Almost a third of my class washed out). I went on to fly fighters. I became an instructor pilot on the F-4 Phantom and the T-38 where I never got the memo to pass Good Ole Boys. I failed those who couldn't hack it and I still do in civilian life. After the USAF, I flew bizjets until I retired. I currently teach aircraft systems, avionics and procedures in the classroom and the simulator as a retirement gig. The standards are high. Hack it or pack it. During my 31 year flying career, I had to pass continuous advanced training and pass multiple tests, aircraft check rides and simulator evaluations a year or lose my job. I had to pass two first class medical examinations a year or lose my job.

Please tell me of this Good Ole Boy Network you speak of.

I am not comfortable with any pilot.

I am far comfortable with a pilot who is a pilot based on ability instead of affirmative action color or sex........
Most of the time I never noticed who the pilot was I just got on and bitched about the seats getting smaller or people were getting much fatter..
Yeah---because the pilots were chosen for ability----you start getting a bunch of pilots chosen for skin color or sex instead of ability, you are sure going to start noticing who your pilot is.

I guess the question is, Are the criteria currently used to evaluate applicants for pilot positions relevant to the skills required to drive a plane? Is there any reason why an uneducated person cannot be taught to do it as well as someone with a degree in aeronautical engineering?

Anyone reading this know what those criteria are?

I do. I'm an instructor pilot at a training center. Applicants need to be intelligent and hard working. The amount of study required weeds out many. A degree in aeronautical engineering is not unnecessary. My favorite instructor where I teach doesn't have a college degree. Flying is a blend of art, science, skill, judgement and extreme discipline. People of all backgrounds take to the aviation culture. It's a meritocracy. You have to earn the right to be a member and when you can no longer meet the standards, you have to leave the active membership. Nothing personal. You have to hack it or pack it.

Last edited:
Do you think a Airline pilot should be hired because of his or her skill level or because of their color or gender?

Would you be comfortable flying with a pilot hired because of affirmative action?

54wuok.jpg

I am ashamed of myself, but that IS a very humorous photo.

To be serious, though, there is no doubt some ladies of that background could be good pilots, so maybe the airline's plan is not so frightening as it at first seems.

And, I assume, in flight school, the truly incompetent will be weeded out.

Last edited:
Planes have been essentially flying themselves for decades now.

Cockpit automation is not aircraft flying themselves. This is a common misconception.

Believe me, if the airlines could get away with having only one pilot in the cockpit or none at all, they would have been doing it "for decades". Highly trained aircrews are very expensive.

Planes have been essentially flying themselves for decades now. Pilots have been known to be completely sauced behind the wheel. Historically at least.

Just some context to address the rhetoric I'm seeing peddled thus far.
In the last few years two navy ships at different times had collisions and another destroyer just recently removed a captain for incompetency. All of the issues were with women. Now there are men who are not that good. However since women are just getting more and more command and high control roles, you would figure they would be the best. Going with the odds increases chances of surviving. So smart people avoid what can kill them at a higher percentage. Spaceflight has become or is moving towards almost being automatic at this point. Flying passenger aircraft is moving in that direction. But shit happens in anything.

All the airlines too woke for me. Just concentrate on safely and efficiently transporting passengers. I’m hoping for Trump Airlines.

Somewhere in America right now someone is being rested by the worst doctor in the country. Right now the worst cop is on duty. The worst pilot in the world is almost certainly flying right now.

White males were flying the Air France plane that stalled and crashed over the Atlantic Ocean. Experienced pilots. But they still made a mistake and everyone died.

Every pilot has to be trained and rated on not only planes. But the specific plane they are flying. So these people of color you are in a tizzy over will be trained to fly the specific planes they’ll be driving. They will spend years as co-pilots learning and gaining experience. Tested and rated by pilots with more experience.

A Hispanic man with only one eye performed an impossible landing in a 737.

Skin color and gender does not matter nearly as much as skill and aptitude.

Delta is going to spend a lot of time training and testing the pilots before putting them up front. They’ll be paired with an experienced pilot to get even more training and experience.

Before they get in the cockpit they’ll be qualified. Delta can’t afford to apply this in such a way that the flight is unsafe. Like the Tuskegee Airmen the pilots will be the best.

I would not feel better or worse with a white pilot. If you do then you know less about aviation than you think you do.

Do you think a Airline pilot should be hired because of his or her skill level or because of their color or gender?

Would you be comfortable flying with a pilot hired because of affirmative action?
Go fly ignited airlines and become a fire ball in the friendly skies

You have been comfortable flying with some who were hired because of the Good Ole Boy Network.
The drunk good ol' boy system.
Very much like the military aviator promotion system was when I was in.

I'm a retired Airline Transport Pilot. I started flying at 14 and soloed on my 16th birthday. I was selected for and got my wings by surviving the rigors of USAF pilot training. (Almost a third of my class washed out). I went on to fly fighters. I became an instructor pilot on the F-4 Phantom and the T-38 where I never got the memo to pass Good Ole Boys. I failed those who couldn't hack it and I still do in civilian life. After the USAF, I flew bizjets until I retired. I currently teach aircraft systems, avionics and procedures in the classroom and the simulator as a retirement gig. The standards are high. Hack it or pack it. During my 31 year flying career, I had to pass continuous advanced training and pass multiple tests, aircraft check rides and simulator evaluations a year or lose my job. I had to pass two first class medical examinations a year or lose my job.

Please tell me of this Good Ole Boy Network you speak of.
Uh huh.

Planes have been essentially flying themselves for decades now. Pilots have been known to be completely sauced behind the wheel. Historically at least.

Just some context to address the rhetoric I'm seeing peddled thus far.
In the last few years two navy ships at different times had collisions and another destroyer just recently removed a captain for incompetency. All of the issues were with women. Now there are men who are not that good. However since women are just getting more and more command and high control roles, you would figure they would be the best. Going with the odds increases chances of surviving. So smart people avoid what can kill them at a higher percentage. Spaceflight has become or is moving towards almost being automatic at this point. Flying passenger aircraft is moving in that direction. But shit happens in anything.
All the issues were with women? Prove that for us.

Go fly ignited airlines and become a fire ball in the friendly skies
You should make that comment while waiting in line at the TSA checkpoint.

I guess the question is, Are the criteria currently used to evaluate applicants for pilot positions relevant to the skills required to drive a plane? Is there any reason why an uneducated person cannot be taught to do it as well as someone with a degree in aeronautical engineering?

Anyone reading this know what those criteria are?

Eligibility
To be eligible to take the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) ATP practical test, the candidate must have at least 1500 hours of experience in aircraft, including 250 hours as pilot in command (PIC) and be at least 23 years old.[3] Restricted Licenses (which allow the holder to perform only second-in-command duties) may be granted to individuals that meet one of the following criteria:​
  • Military pilots who are 21 years or older with 750 hours total time.
    • Graduates with a four-year degree in aviation from approved universities such as Auburn University, the University of Oklahoma, Broward College, Delta State University, Liberty University, Bowling Green State University, The Ohio State University, Southeastern Oklahoma State University, the University of North Dakota, Farmingdale State College (State University of New York), Middle Tennessee State University, Middle Georgia State University, Purdue University, Eastern Kentucky University, LeTourneau University, Central Washington University, Florida Institute of Technology, Polk State College, Westminster College, Western Michigan University, Jacksonville University, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Arizona State University, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Henderson State University or the University of Central Missouri that have 1000 hours of total flight time and are 21 years or older.[4]
    • Graduates with a two-year degree in aviation, who have 1250 hours and are 21 years or older.
    • Pilots with 1500 hours who are 21 years or older.
The pilot can remove the restriction once they have achieved the normal prerequisites.[5]

Forum List

Back