Uh Oh…The Spanner’s About To Hit The Spinners

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
About that title…a Brit colloquialism referring to a wrench in the machinery, or….some people will be upset by this thread.

But I’ve been told we need an honest conversation about race. And so, this will be.

1.I’m really uncomfortable about the facts in this this thread, judgements about entire racial groups, rather than about individuals. But the Democrats/Progressives have made race the franca lingua in our discussions, I suppose this is the accepted mode.

My outlook on all things is a function of the facts, of reality. In posting this thread, I admit that it hurts in that my most deeply held belief is that all human, even when defined by group membership, have the same innate abilities, and, therefore, the same chances for success and happiness, and that it may alter my views.

Charles Murray’s well documented and scholarly treatise has shaken some of those beliefs. And he is brave to advance what he has proven.

2.The First Amendment notwithstanding it is dangerous, often fatal to one’s career, reputation, and livelihood to speak one’s mind….or even think unorthodox and unauthorized, by the Democrat Party, thoughts.

1625399827251.png

3. And in the light of this current milieu, authors like Charles Murray should be celebrated: he voices, writes, what so many sense to be true, but dare not say it. Let’s have that national discussion!

And here is the paradox….the majority party is enveloped in Identity Politics, racial politics, which portrays entire groups, claiming that all have the very same aspirations, characteristics, and grievances, and need be viewed as cookie-cutter representatives of their group.

Murray uses that belief to state that if we must discuss all as groups, there are also group cognitive abilities….and group relationships with the law and law enforcement.

But under Democrat rule, those two areas are ‘verboten’…must not be mentioned if they don’t put their authorized groups in a favorable light.

Or else!!

The following is from Murray’s book “Facing Reality.”

1625399919061.png

I’d love to hear any disagreement beyond vituperation.

4. The only explanation for failures in their favored racial group, by the Democrats who need that group’s vote to stay in power, is them famous ‘SODDI’ defense favored by defense lawyers….’some other dude did it.

The other dude, according to Democrats is white people.

But white people haven't done it: there is no systemic racism, no white privilege, nor none of the other lies.

Where is that national discussion on what other cause there may be?

Here:

5. Race Differences in Cognitive Ability”

Want to take a big risk and discuss what we mean by ‘intelligence,’ and try to apply it to entire racial groups? Few are brave enough…but in his newest book, “Facing Reality,” Charles Murray defines the term, and provides his insight and the studies that prove his ‘dangerous’ thoughts.

“MOST PEOPLE WHO call someone “smart” or “bright” or “intelligent” are talking about the quality that IQ tests measure. That quality is not virtue, merit, character, wisdom, or common sense. It is irrelevant to human worth.

IQ denotes the mental agility that lets some people collate disparate bits of information and then infer and deduce from that information better than other people, whether the task is to deci- pher a corporate balance sheet, analyze Middle-march, or determine why the car won’t start. The quality measured by IQ tests assists people in figuring things out, both in their professions and in everyday life…. IQ tests are the best measure of the general mental factor known as g, which in turn is the most rigorously investigated construct in psychology.”

I bet you’ve already guessed why this subject is related to the title of the OP, and how dangerous it is. Democrat voters are already prepared to post their ‘Is not, issssssssss nooooottttt!!!’ and ‘racist!!!’ posts.

But let’s begin by demanding that any with such views claim they know more about IQ and testing of intelligence, than this:

“… the major findings produced by IQ tests have been replicated time and again over decades, with different instruments, for all kinds of populations tested in all kinds of conditions. The quantitative understanding of cognitive ability has the distinction of being at once a crowning achievement of psychology and widely criticized as pseudoscience.”

Let's begin the debate here....

....I double dog dare ya.'

6. The education profession inadvertently admitted a decline in academic achievement in this country that became evident after the Democrats altered immigration policy via the 1965 Hart-Cellers Act, which basically shut down immigration for those groups that settled America.

The Democrats recognized that groups that required more government help would vote Democrat.

To assuage the academic achievement problem, academia came up with the Self-Esteem explanation: a pat on the head replaced a failing grade.

In the light of the essential nature of emotion to the Left, it makes perfect sense that they created the (highly destructive) self-esteem movement, based on how one feels about oneself. Of course, it is always quite a high number for Leftists, convinced that they are brighter, kinder, finer, more sophisticated, more enlightened, more selfless, and, of course, more intellectual.

“A 1989 study of mathematical skills compared students in eight different countries. American students ranked lowest in mathematical competence and Korean students ranked highest. But the researchers also asked students to rate how good they were at mathematics. The Americans ranked highest in self-judged mathematical ability, while the Koreans ranked lowest….There is no evidence that high self-esteem reliably causes anything.” http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/education/ed0001.html

“The importance of self-esteem, so enthusiastically assumed by educators from the 1970s through the end of the century, flunked empirical attempts to demonstrate its causal role in academic performance or other achievements.”
Murray

The latest version simply claims that when minority students fail, the teachers, arguably the most Liberal profession, are all racists.

7. The only acceptable reasons to spotlight inadequacies or deficiencies in either individuals or groups, is when they lay those problems off on others, the pretend 'racism' of an innocent white population…..there is no racism, supremacy, systemic racism, that is responsible for the problems that minorities face.

What happens when IQ, intelligence tests, don’t document what the Democrat’s want they to document? What if those tests prove…inconvenient?

The Left simply denies the truth of those tests, call them ‘pseudoscience.’ (This from the folks who don ‘t believe in DNA.)

“The charges of pseudoscience have many sources. Some of these challenges
need to be taken seriously. Is cognitive ability too complex to be represented by a single number? For some purposes, yes; for others, no.
Are there multiple intelligences? There are certainly multiple talents, but it is possible to distinguish talents from cognitive ability both conceptually and statistically.

These and other questions are worth asking, and much has been learned from investigating them over the decades.

But another source of resistance to accepting the validity of IQ tests is that the tests have persistently indicated different means and distributions of cognitive ability among races. Many people today consider this unacceptable – so unacceptable that it cannot possibly be true. And yet it is.”
Charles Murray, Op. Cit.

Now.....where is that 'national conversation' that Democrats claim the populace is too cowardly to have????

Where?

8. Our Democrat pals have a simple solution when the facts don’t support the propaganda:

“…Judge Robert F. Peckham [LBJ appointee] and his landmark 1979 ruling. Peckham had barred California public schools from using standardized IQ tests for determining whether academically struggling black students should be placed in special classes for the mildly mentally retarded. Siding with black parents and others who sought to stop the practice, Peckham found that the commonly used tests were racially and culturally biased and resulted in large numbers of blacks being wrongly labeled as retarded and consigned to “dead-end” programs.”
Court Ban on IQ Tests for Blacks Sparks Parents' Suit : Education: Plaintiffs say the ruling discriminates against minority students. Others contend it protects them from testing that is racially and culturally biased.

When too many minority students faced arrest and prison for criminality, Obama did exactly the same thing Peckham did……he disallowed the arrests. That’s why Nikolas Cruz wasn’t arrested and passed a background check to get the rifle he used to kill 17 innocents.

Facing reality isn’t part of the Democrat code…..lying is.

9. If one views test-proven differences between groups as either false or purposely racist, well, then one will be made uncomfortable by the many examples of metrics that give the same results:

”When Africans, Asians, Europeans, and Latins take tests that are related to cognitive ability, their group results have different means. “

Teachers in integrated schools in the North knew that African students on average didn’t perform as well as European students in the classroom, but the magnitude of the national difference was open to argument.

The first large sample used to calculate African cognitive ability was assembled during World War I, when the U.S. Army used two IQ tests for incoming recruits, one designed for literate recruits and the other designed for illiterate or non-English-speaking recruits. Robert Yerkes found a European–African difference of 1.16 SDs*, reported in John C. Loehlin, Gardner Lindzey, and J. N. Spuh- ler, Race Differences in Intelligence (1975), but little confidence can be attached to that number.

The European–African difference on the Army General Classification Test for inductions in 1944–1945 has been put at 1.52 SDs (Loehlin, Race Differences). This represents the scores of men born from 1925 to 1927 and is very close to the 1.59 SD difference observed among the Woodcock-Johnson subjects born in the 1920s.”
Charles Murray, “Facing Reality”

*Note: SDs means standard deviations of IQ, with each SD equal to 15 points on the test.

This is where we get into the age-old question of whether the difference in standard deviations is attributed to 'nurture or nature.'

I have my view on that question.

This data is not going to be received well.

About that title…a Brit colloquialism referring to a wrench in the machinery, or….some people will be upset by this thread.

But I’ve been told we need an honest conversation about race. And so, this will be.

1.I’m really uncomfortable about the facts in this this thread, judgements about entire racial groups, rather than about individuals. But the Democrats/Progressives have made race the franca lingua in our discussions, I suppose this is the accepted mode.

My outlook on all things is a function of the facts, of reality. In posting this thread, I admit that it hurts in that my most deeply held belief is that all human, even when defined by group membership, have the same innate abilities, and, therefore, the same chances for success and happiness, and that it may alter my views.

Charles Murray’s well documented and scholarly treatise has shaken some of those beliefs. And he is brave to advance what he has proven.

2.The First Amendment notwithstanding it is dangerous, often fatal to one’s career, reputation, and livelihood to speak one’s mind….or even think unorthodox and unauthorized, by the Democrat Party, thoughts.

View attachment 508614

3. And in the light of this current milieu, authors like Charles Murray should be celebrated: he voices, writes, what so many sense to be true, but dare not say it. Let’s have that national discussion!

And here is the paradox….the majority party is enveloped in Identity Politics, racial politics, which portrays entire groups, claiming that all have the very same aspirations, characteristics, and grievances, and need be viewed as cookie-cutter representatives of their group.

Murray uses that belief to state that if we must discuss all as groups, there are also group cognitive abilities….and group relationships with the law and law enforcement.

But under Democrat rule, those two areas are ‘verboten’…must not be mentioned if they don’t put their authorized groups in a favorable light.

Or else!!

View attachment 508615

Just the usual passive-aggressive emojis, from the usual knuckle draggers.

10. “… the Civil Rights Act of 1964 required the commissioner of the Office of Education to conduct a survey “concerning the lack of availability of equal educational opportunities for individuals by reason of race, color, religion, or national origin in public educational institutions.” The sample was massive: 645,000 students in 4,000 schools. The report of the results, known as “the Coleman Report” after its principal investigator, the sociologist James S. Coleman, was submitted in July 1966.”

Now get ready for really bad news for Liberal policies and doctrines.

“The Coleman Report published the racial means on the study’s cognitive test battery. Subsequent analyses refined the results, finding that the European–African difference was about 15 points for ninth-graders and 18 points for twelfth-graders, but the size of the difference in test scores was ignored in the midst of the consternation created by the Coleman Report’s central conclusion that the quality of a school played almost no role in explaining the performance of African students. This was heresy – the point of the survey had been to prove that poor education was to blame for the problems of African students and better education would be the solution.

But the Coleman Report found that the far more important factors were aspects of a student’s family background.”
Murray, Op. Cit.

But....

“The Coleman Report had no effect on policy –…”

You still voting Democrat????

View attachment 508614

Or else!!

View attachment 508615

Just the usual passive-aggressive emojis, from the usual knuckle draggers.

More proof that they really don't want any 'national discussion on race.'

10. “… the Civil Rights Act of 1964 required the commissioner of the Office of Education to conduct a survey “concerning the lack of availability of equal educational opportunities for individuals by reason of race, color, religion, or national origin in public educational institutions.” The sample was massive: 645,000 students in 4,000 schools. The report of the results, known as “the Coleman Report” after its principal investigator, the sociologist James S. Coleman, was submitted in July 1966.”

“The Coleman Report published the racial means on the study’s cognitive test battery. Subsequent analyses refined the results, finding that the European–African difference was about 15 points for ninth-graders and 18 points for twelfth-graders, but the size of the difference in test scores was ignored in the midst of the consternation created by the Coleman Report’s central conclusion that the quality of a school played almost no role in explaining the performance of African students. This was heresy – the point of the survey had been to prove that poor education was to blame for the problems of African students and better education would be the solution.

But the Coleman Report found that the far more important factors were aspects of a student’s family background.”
Murray, Op. Cit.

But....

Not science:
White supremacists continue to misinterpret genetics to try to bolster their views. In response, the American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG) issued a strong statement in 2018 denouncing attempts to link their science to White supremacy. “Any attempt to use genetics to rank populations demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of genetics,” the statement read. It went on to urge scientists to “debunk genetics-based arguments promoting racial supremacy.”​
“One doesn't have to travel too deeply in the news to find notions of race conflated with ancestry in very deterministic ways,” says Bamshad. “As human geneticists, we bear responsibility in part to try and mitigate that, to educate researchers and the public at large.”​

Murray, Op. Cit.

But....

Not science:
White supremacists continue to misinterpret genetics to try to bolster their views. In response, the American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG) issued a strong statement in 2018 denouncing attempts to link their science to White supremacy. “Any attempt to use genetics to rank populations demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of genetics,” the statement read. It went on to urge scientists to “debunk genetics-based arguments promoting racial supremacy.”​
“One doesn't have to travel too deeply in the news to find notions of race conflated with ancestry in very deterministic ways,” says Bamshad. “As human geneticists, we bear responsibility in part to try and mitigate that, to educate researchers and the public at large.”​

You Democrats lie about everything.....and that includes the source you provided.

Watch me prove it:

Here, the real problem......and there is no way to blame it on white folks:

Reading ratio

The report states: “White adults spend 36 percent more time than black adults reading to young children, and three times more time talking with and listening to them. Other analyses find that black mothers are about two-thirds as likely as white mothers to read to toddlers daily.”

Later, the report offers this striking factoid: “By age 6, white children have typically spent 1,300 more hours engaged in conversations with adults than black children.”

EPI’s report endeavors to show that these differences are not simply the result of comparing rich against poor. After noting that the number of books in a home is “a reliable indicator of home intellectual environment,” EPI offers this striking chart:

Books

Overall, white homes had 2.5 times as many books as black homes. But the most surprising finding is that the top quintile of black homes reported having fewer books (69) than the bottom quintile of white homes (71).

These differences in reading to and talking with children begin to add up even before kids get to school...

www.breitbart.com

Report: Negligent Parenting Hurts Black Students' Performance

A newly-published report says that some parenting choices and attitudes can hurt the success of black students in school.
www.breitbart.com
www.breitbart.com

Put a cork in your pie hole, huh.

Murray, Op. Cit.

But....

Not science:

You Democrats lie about everything.....and that includes the source you provided.

Watch me prove it:

Reading ratio

The report states: “White adults spend 36 percent more time than black adults reading to young children, and three times more time talking with and listening to them. Other analyses find that black mothers are about two-thirds as likely as white mothers to read to toddlers daily.”

Later, the report offers this striking factoid: “By age 6, white children have typically spent 1,300 more hours engaged in conversations with adults than black children.”

EPI’s report endeavors to show that these differences are not simply the result of comparing rich against poor. After noting that the number of books in a home is “a reliable indicator of home intellectual environment,” EPI offers this striking chart:

Books

Overall, white homes had 2.5 times as many books as black homes. But the most surprising finding is that the top quintile of black homes reported having fewer books (69) than the bottom quintile of white homes (71).

These differences in reading to and talking with children begin to add up even before kids get to school...

www.breitbart.com

A newly-published report says that some parenting choices and attitudes can hurt the success of black students in school.
www.breitbart.com
www.breitbart.com

Science would tell you that it has nothing to due with race and everything to do with culture. I believed my children would do better if they had a good education so that is what I encouraged and that is what they will pass on to their kids. If I believed it didn't matter if my kids could read (and could get them in trouble if it became known) since we were enslaved, then I probably wouldn't waste their time or mine. And that is what they will pass on to their kids.

Murray, Op. Cit.

But....

Not science:

Watch me prove it:

Reading ratio

Books

www.breitbart.com

www.breitbart.com
www.breitbart.com

Science would tell you that it has nothing to due with race and everything to do with culture. I believed my children would do better if they had a good education so that is what I encouraged and that is what they will pass on to their kids. If I believed it didn't matter if my kids could read (and could get them in trouble if it became known) since we were enslaved, then I probably wouldn't waste their time or mine. And that is what they will pass on to their kids.

Watch me prove it:

Reading ratio

Books

www.breitbart.com

www.breitbart.com

www.breitbart.com

How is racism responsible?

Murray, Op. Cit.

But....

Not science:

Watch me prove it:

Reading ratio

Books

www.breitbart.com

www.breitbart.com
www.breitbart.com

11. “But the Coleman Report found that the far more important factors were aspects of a student’s family background…The Coleman Report had no effect on policy –…”

If the data shows that it is not the schools that are responsible for the lower performance of minority students…….shouldn’t Democrat efforts be dedicated to the real problems, rather than bogus claims about racism, white privilege, white supremacy, oppression???

Democrats:
1966 LBJ expanded the Aid to Families with Dependent Children program…under FDR, AFDC had been limited to widows, those who had lost their husbands and now lacked a breadwinner at home to help support the children.

Then began to loosen and expand the rules of AFDC eligibility, eventually getting to the point where any woman living alone with children could take advantage of this program. In doing so, they not only bought a large number of new votes, they also incentivized out of wedlock births and single motherhood.

As Charles Murray described in “Losing Ground,” the Great Society incentivized the same negative behaviors that cause poverty in the first place.

Millions of women discovered that they could be better off financially by not marrying.

With respect to the education gap, how is it that 'racism' is responsible for these areas in which black students fall short when compared to white and Asian students:

The number of days absent from school

The number of hours spent watching TV

The number of pages read for homework

Quantity and quality of reading material in the home

The presence of two parents in the home.

How does 'racism' explain these ...deficiencies????

Soooo.....it's not 'racism' that is the problem for minorities.......

.....it's Democrats.

Murray, Op. Cit.

But....

Not science:

Watch me prove it:

Reading ratio

Books

www.breitbart.com

www.breitbart.com
www.breitbart.com

Watch me prove it:

Reading ratio

Books

www.breitbart.com

www.breitbart.com

www.breitbart.com

Let's say all your facts are accurate. The question is why is there a difference?
  1. Blacks are biologically uninterested, unwilling, or incapable of reading more
  2. Blacks in the US are uninterested, unwilling, or incapable of reading more due to cultural differences

12. . How can one expect equal participation in academic achievement and advanced science degrees if minority student are not held to the same standards as other groups?

“According to research by the Brookings Institution’s Michael Hansen and Diana Quintero, black high-school students spend a little more than a quarter of the time on homework that Asian students do, and half the time of white students. [How is this due to racism?]

The average black math score on the SAT in 2020 was 454 on an 800-point scale, compared with 547 for whites and 632 for Asians. [How is this due to racism?]

The College Board calculates an SAT score that predicts, with 75% certainty, that a college freshman will receive at least a C-plus in his first-year math and English courses.

That benchmark SAT score for math is 530. Only 21% of black SAT takers met the math benchmark, and 54% of black SAT takers met neither the math nor the reading benchmark. [How is this due to racism?]
Someone who can’t muster a C-plus in freshman calculus will be unlikely to graduate with a STEM degree.

By comparison, 80% of Asian SAT takers and 59% of white SAT takers met the math benchmark.

One percent of black SAT takers scored in the 700 to 800 range in math (putting them in the pool from which most cutting-edge researchers will be drawn). Thirty-five percent of Asian SAT takers and 9% of whites scored in the 700 to 800 range on math.”
Opinion | The NIH’s Diversity Obsession Subverts Science

“But the Coleman Report found that the far more important factors were aspects of a student’s family background…The Coleman Report had no effect on policy –…”

The real question is why Democrats/Liberals/Progressives provide midnight basketball instead of remedial and advanced classes for groups they supposedly wish to help advance???

I guess it is simpler to lie and blame the white folks.

Murray, Op. Cit.

But....

Not science:

Watch me prove it:

Reading ratio

Books

www.breitbart.com

www.breitbart.com
www.breitbart.com

Watch me prove it:

Reading ratio

Books

www.breitbart.com

www.breitbart.com

www.breitbart.com

Let's say all your facts are accurate. The question is why is there a difference?
  1. Blacks are biologically uninterested, unwilling, or incapable of reading more
  2. Blacks in the US are uninterested, unwilling, or incapable of reading more due to cultural differences

The answer is .....

....Democrats.

1. It was the misfortune of black Americans that they were just on the verge of passing through the immigrant experience when damaging ideas about welfare and the lenient attitude about crime took hold. It could have happened to the Italians, Germans, Jews or Irish, but luckily for them, there were no Liberals around to “help” when they arrived. Coulter
  2. In fact, black Americans were doing better in individual pursuits than many immigrants. Barone compared their American journey to the Irish: “Both rise smartly in hierarchies (government bureaucracies, the military) but haven't fared as well in free-market commerce.” http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/941114/archive_013670.htm
  3. “Like members of outsider groups before and since, this African-American elite considered education to be the key to full citizenship. They also embraced values of character and responsibility….Gains in terms of entrepreneurship, finding a trade, finding a profession, setting down roots, buying property, and feeling they were at last becoming a genuine part of city life. They would refer to ‘color-phobia’ as ‘fast disappearing in our city.’…Peterson's great grandfather owned a pharmacy in a largely Irish neighborhood. ” "Black Gotham," by University of Maryland Professor Carla Peterson.

It was the misfortune of black Americans that they were just on the verge of passing through the immigrant experience when damaging ideas about welfare and the lenient attitude about crime took hold. It could have happened to the Italians, Germans, Jews or Irish, but luckily for them, there were no Liberals around to “help” when they arrived. Coulter
When exactly were black Americans on the verge of passing through the immigrant experience? Was it 1865 when they were freed? Was it 1965 at the beginning of the Great Society? Or should they have just been patient for another 100 years?

Forum List

Back