U.S. monitoring alleged executions by Ukrainian military, says war crimes envoy

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
This is where America can exude the most credibility. Whether it is Russia or Ukraine, whoever violated the Geneva Convention they must be held accountable.

There is a partial video that was made in Ukraine and you can hear a Ukranian leader asking "who is the commander here" or something similar. This was apparently just before 10 Russian soldiers had surrendered and were executed. Video footage of their dead bodies was recorded. The Ukranians claim they were fired on, which to me seems suspect as the soldiers were clearly outgunned.

NO military, no matter how enraged should violate the Geneva Convention. Furthermore, these fools don't realize that Russians will see this video, be more determined themselves and choose to NOT surrender next time believing they will also just be summarily murdered.

We should applaud Americas stance. Lead by example and without bias and hold bad soldiers accountable.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Washington's envoy for war crimes said on Monday the United States was monitoring allegations of Ukrainian forces summarily executing Russian troops, and said all parties should face consequences if they commit abuses in the conflict.

Russia's defense ministry on Friday cited videos circulating on social media that allegedly showed Ukrainian soldiers executing Russian prisoners of war.

"We are obviously tracking that quite closely," Beth Van Schaack, the U.S. ambassador-at-large for global criminal justice, told reporters during a telephone briefing.

"It's really important to emphasize that the laws of war apply to all parties equally: both the aggressor state and the defender state and this is in equal measure," she said, adding that "all parties to the conflict must abide by international law or face the consequences."

If they want to “monitor” executions committed by Ukraine, I assume they also want to “monitor” executions committed by Russia.

Obviously, it is “wrong” in a straightforward moral sense. But bad shit does happen in war. And it may be a valid concern of the UN, although I don’t trust the UN to ever be fair or objective. But other than that, it is probably none of our fucking business.

If they want to “monitor” executions committed by Ukraine, I assume they also want to “monitor” executions committed by Russia.

Obviously, it is “wrong” in a straightforward moral sense. But bad shit does happen in war. And it may be a valid concern of the UN, although I don’t trust the UN to ever be fair or objective. But other than that, it is probably none of our fucking business.

Sorry, I wholehearted disagree. It is ALL of our business. It's this sort of attitude that had people turn their heads to concentration camps set up in Poland, or Japanese superiors celebrating the starvation of allied soldiers.

There is now a Geneva Convention. signed by all U.N nations. If Ukraine or Russia doesn't want to abide by it they can withdraw. I'm sure their soldiers wouldn't appreciate it and global support for whatever their cause is would decrease.

Sorry, I wholehearted disagree. It is ALL of our business. It's this sort of attitude that had people turn their heads to concentration camps set up in Poland, or Japanese superiors celebrating the starvation of allied soldiers.

There is now a Geneva Convention. signed by all U.N nations. If Ukraine or Russia doesn't want to abide by it they can withdraw. I'm sure their soldiers wouldn't appreciate it and global support for whatever their cause is would decrease.
Nonsense. We don’t “monitor” executions in every land on earth. We don’t “monitor” even just the executions made by nations engaged in war. And we cannot prosecute any of the perpetrators anyway (other than the infrequent use of the UN’s alleged jurisdiction).

Russia is bombing civilian population centers and the entire fuel and electrical supply grid for a nation as winter is coming on. If you can distinguish between that and a massacre you have an amazing ability. And at the end of the day, not one Russian official or member of their military will be held to account. And sanctions will eventually go away. And they will be treated as if nothing had ever happened in Ukraine.

Nonsense. We don’t “monitor” executions in every land on earth. We don’t “monitor” even just the executions made by nations engaged in war. And we cannot prosecute any of the perpetrators anyway (other than the infrequent use of the UN’s alleged jurisdiction).

Russia is bombing civilian population centers and the entire fuel and electrical supply grid for a nation as winter is coming on. If you can distinguish between that and a massacre you have an amazing ability. And at the end of the day, not one Russian official or member of their military will be held to account. And sanctions will eventually go away. And they will be treated as if nothing had ever happened in Ukraine.

You are making me depressed. :confused:

Forum List

Back