U.S. Marshals arrest 13,000 in sweep targeting ‘worst’ violent offenders

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The U.S. Marshals Service arrested more than 13,000 individuals with open warrants as part of a national operation aimed at targeting the “worst of the worst” violent, repeat offenders.

The Justice Department announced the results of the six-week fugitive sweep Wednesday, which targeted individuals wanted for crimes like homicides, sex assaults and aggravated assaults.

Dubbed Operation Violence Reduction, the sweep focused on 12 cities currently combatting upticks in violent crime, including Baltimore; Washington, D.C.; Chicago; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; and New Orleans.

“This was not a dragnet-type operation designed to arrest anyone with an outstanding warrant,” said Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates. “It was focused and targeted. That’s because we know that the majority of violence in our communities can usually be traced to a relatively small number of bad actors.”

Officials said the operation, which was up and running from Feb. 1 to March 11, brought in 8,045 fugitives who were targeted because of open warrants for violent crimes and another 5,446 fugitives who were arrested in the course of the operations.

Among those arrested, 559 were wanted for homicides and 946 for sex offenses, and 648 were known gang members.

In Baltimore alone, 148 fugitives — including 23 people wanted for murder — were arrested as part of the sweep.

Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said the effort was important in the ongoing drive to restore confidence in the police force. He noted that the department is seeing “encouraging results in the homicide closure rate” so far this year and that witnesses are coming forward more often to provide tips about crimes.
U.S. Marshals arrest 13K in sweep targeting ‘worst’ violent offenders

It would be peachy if they could keep 'em off the streets.

Great news.

I understand that one of the unforeseen benefits was arresting potential domestic terrorists on the far left and the far right.

And the system will turn right around and let them out. They always do. Did anyone ask, why were they out in the first place to have to be "rounded up?"

And the system will turn right around and let them out. They always do. Did anyone ask, why were they out in the first place to have to be "rounded up?"
No, it has not, and, no, they won't. They will go through the process and post bail, which is very unlikely for violent felonies.

glad they arrested them

by why did the Marshall's need to get involved in something the locals should have done?
I believe it's a matter of resources. I know from personal friends, police officers, the marshalls bring manpower and intel. Often the people that they are after are wanted elsewhere and are not on the local authorities radar. I've often heard officers diss the FBI as arrogant and secretive while the marshalls are seen as allies and "down in the trenches" with local personnel. Just the personal opinion of friends but perhaps telling.

No, it has not, and, no, they won't. They will go through the process and post bail, which is very unlikely for violent felonies.

As someone who works in law enforcement, yes they have, and yes they will. They always do. It doesn't matter if it is a violent felony. We arrest the same violent people over and over and over

As someone who works in law enforcement, yes they have, and yes they will. They always do. It doesn't matter if it is a violent felony. We arrest the same violent people over and over and over
You are not an authority on the subject at all. Right now you are a poster making an opinion, just as I did. If they have been fleeing warrants on violent felonies, it is unlikely that many will make bail.

You are not an authority on the subject at all. Right now you are a poster making an opinion, just as I did. If they have been fleeing warrants on violent felonies, it is unlikely that many will make bail.

You don't have to take my word for it. Go talk to a cop in any major city and they will tell you the same. Or, don't, and continue to be ignorant on the subject. Your choice.

You don't have to take my word for it. Go talk to a cop in any major city and they will tell you the same. Or, don't, and continue to be ignorant on the subject. Your choice.
That's your opinion, OK.

That's your opinion, OK.

OK. Ignorance it is.

That's your opinion, OK.

OK. Ignorance it is.
Yep, you are ignorant on this subject.

That's your opinion, OK.

OK. Ignorance it is.

lol.

Go ahead and keep your head buried in the sand. However, as the wise sage Lawrence the neighbor from Office Space once said, "Watch your cornhole, man."

That's your opinion, OK.

OK. Ignorance it is.
lol. Go ahead and keep your head buried in the sand. However, as the wise sage Lawrence the neighbor from Office Space once said, "Watch your cornhole, man."
Are you suggesting something about yourself that you have not heretofore shared with us? I don't know what end of the field you are working. I don't know whether you are shucking corn or hoeing cotton. If you like pecker the way a rooster goes down on corn, it's ok by me. I am a straight guy myself, so my only advice to you is to practice safe sex.

That's your opinion, OK.

OK. Ignorance it is.
lol. Go ahead and keep your head buried in the sand. However, as the wise sage Lawrence the neighbor from Office Space once said, "Watch your cornhole, man."
Are you suggesting something about yourself that you have not heretofore shared with us? I don't know what end of the field you are working. I don't know whether you are shucking corn or hoeing cotton. If you like pecker the way a rooster goes down on corn, it's ok by me. I am a straight guy myself, so my only advice to you is to practice safe sex.

You are not an authority on whether you are a straight guy or not. That is just your opinion.

That's your opinion, OK.

OK. Ignorance it is.

You are not an authority on whether you are a straight guy or not. That is just your opinion.
You are a hot mess, aren't you? ;)

OK. Ignorance it is.

wait, you can't insinuate that I am gay and then call me hot. Or were you just calling me a farm animal and not gay? I'm not sure now...dammit...

wait, you can't insinuate that I am gay and then call me hot. Or were you just calling me a farm animal and not gay? I'm not sure now...dammit...
Sure, gays are a hot mess. That's what my younger brother says about them, and since he is gay, there you go.

Forum List

Back