U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

It's Nationalism because you still believe invading afghanistan had anything to do with defending the US. It's well known SA has protected and funded alkida:

Kagan helped shield Saudis from 9/11 lawsuits | Raw Story

That's just one minor blip. Moreover, the Taliban were not exactly best buddies with bin laden.....which is why they offered to help turn bin laden over to a third party if the US provided evidence bin laden had a role in 9E. They weren't asking for a first born child or even a court conviction. They simply asked for evidence and we had none to offer. Doesn't that send a red flag?

Call it what you will.

Under the code of pashtunwali the Taliban would have never given up Bin Laden and no amount of evidence we presented would have been sufficient. Nor was the Taliban's offier:

CNN.com - U.S. rejects Taliban offer to try bin Laden - October 7, 2001

sufficient.

Bin Laden and AQ were guests of the Taliban before, during, and after 9-11. The Taliban wouldn't surrender them. We were entirely justified to go into Afghanistan.

I know we'll never agree, but the underlying notion that we trumped up charges to go into Afghanistan for whatever reason is absurd IMO. They have nothing that we need.

Okay. All I can suggest is you do some serious studying on why we invaded and will continue occupying Afghanistan. It appears you believe you have sufficiently researched the issue and the worst part is you've decided to close your eyes.

I've heard all the conspiracy theories out there. I've also read extensively on Afghanistan. I'd venture to say that I've read more about that country than any other person on this board.

I don't buy the pipeline conspiracy or any other conspiracy about Afghanistan. Afghanistan's only utility is that it sits in between be central Asia and the Arabian Sea. It is hugely important to the region (which is why the Soviets invaded in '78. They wanted to get to Lahore. Not support the Afghani Communist Party).

However, it has literally nothing to offer us.

Even if we stole all the resources we know about in Afghanistan, it would be a fraction of what we've spent there.

I don't know if you've ever been there, but that country basically consists of tough terrain and tough people.

Of course our government and the multinational corporations knew about this long before the news was released to the public. It's naive for you to think you are part of some elite (non-stoopid) group, having done a groundbreaking Google search in a quest for the truth... :rolleyes:

It's arrogantly assumptive for you to jump a ship that's already sailed. Look how many idiots on this thread alone believe they are "newly discovered."

Why do you call people idiots? Are you unable to discuss ideas and opinions without resorting to insults? :doubt:

You should have seen him BEFORE the shock treatments and the lobotomy.

He's much better now.

I've heard all the conspiracy theories out there. I've also read extensively on Afghanistan. I'd venture to say that I've read more about that country than any other person on this board.

I don't buy the pipeline conspiracy or any other conspiracy about Afghanistan. Afghanistan's only utility is that it sits in between be central Asia and the Arabian Sea. It is hugely important to the region (which is why the Soviets invaded in '78. They wanted to get to Lahore. Not support the Afghani Communist Party).

Even if we stole all the resources we know about in Afghanistan, it would be a fraction of what we've spent there.

I don't know if you've ever been there, but that country basically consists of tough terrain and tough people.

I don't know what you've read but quantity is not quality. You're also assuming any explanation besides your own is invalid on the "Conspiracy Theory" charge. Your position is a conspiracy theory. How can you not see that? Is it because it's the "official" government explanation?

Our economy is the main reason we are in Afghanistan and using it as a military tactic is the most important tool. Everything else, such as the 1.5 billion barrels of oil, huge amounts of natural gas, and minerals are simply perks to compliment our military goals. They provide some leverage but the most important foundation is Afghanistan's location in relation to our allies and enemies.

To say Afghanistan has "literally nothing to offer us" is to say you do not understand the geopolitical dynamics of the neocon's plans. If our military gets defeated our economy will completely crash.

I don't know what you've read but quantity is not quality. You're also assuming any explanation besides your own is invalid on the "Conspiracy Theory" charge. Your position is a conspiracy theory. How can you not see that? Is it because it's the "official" government explanation?

Our economy is the main reason we are in Afghanistan and using it as a military tactic is the most important tool. Everything else, such as the 1.5 billion barrels of oil, huge amounts of natural gas, and minerals are simply perks to compliment our military goals. They provide some leverage but the most important foundation is Afghanistan's location in relation to our allies and enemies.

To say Afghanistan has "literally nothing to offer us" is to say you do not understand the geopolitical dynamics of the neocon's plans. If our military gets defeated our economy will completely crash.

For starters: "Ghost Wars" which won the pulitzer prize. It might not be the quality you are looking for, but it's a quality read.

You've only made vague hints as to why we are in Afghanistan. You are going to have to spell it out a little better than that.

For starters: "Ghost Wars" which won the pulitzer prize. It might not be the quality you are looking for, but it's a quality read.

You've only made vague hints as to why we are in Afghanistan. You are going to have to spell it out a little better than that.

He probably joined the Army to pay for college, eh?

GW is pretty narrow in relation to the broader international economic struggles.

What do you think keeps US currency on the world stage?

But WE won't steal them.

If anything, we'll just PAY for them to be stolen so that the Masters can benefit.

GW is pretty narrow in relation to the broader international economic struggles.

Then, since my pulitzer prize winning book isn't sufficient, why don't you recommend one of yours? Please something legitimate and not some crackpot thing.

Also, feel free to spell out your logic on this matter. I don't have time to play guessing games.

Then, since my pulitzer prize winning book isn't sufficient, why don't you recommend one of yours? Please something legitimate and not some crackpot thing.

Also, feel free to spell out your logic on this matter. I don't have time to play guessing games.

Lol.......you could present a "pulitzer prize" book on cooking. The fact it is a PP winning book is irrelevent. What matters is the focus and GW does a great job of revealing a little known history of our actions in Afghanistan but it doesn't do much for explaining our current occupation.

When I asked if you knew what keeps US currency on the world stage it wasn't to play any guessing game. I was trying to find out what you knew to avoid redundancy in pointing out the petrodollar is the only thing keeping America's economy from joining some mud adobes in the poorest sections of Mexico.

Afghanistan is no less of an illegal war than Iraq. The problem is too many people have been suckered by 9E heartstrings and the claim we went on "self-defense" is bullshit on several levels, including violating international laws and our own. Why do it? This is a decent link for starters:

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/documents/7552683/download?commit=Download+Now&secret_password=

Here's a more detailed link on who knew what and when about afghanistan's resources. The info was known at least 15 years before we invaded in 2001.
Mining

I guess "newly discovered" is American for "We own it whereever it is so fuck off."

Lol.......you could present a "pulitzer prize" book on cooking. The fact it is a PP winning book is irrelevent.

Except it wasn't on cooking, it was on Afghanistan. And a PP is not irrelevant. It means it wasn't some crack-pot diatribe some guy punched out in his basement on a 40 year old type writer. It means the book was researched and reviewed.

What matters is the focus and GW does a great job of revealing a little known history of our actions in Afghanistan but it doesn't do much for explaining our current occupation.

When I asked if you knew what keeps US currency on the world stage it wasn't to play any guessing game. I was trying to find out what you knew to avoid redundancy in pointing out the petrodollar is the only thing keeping America's economy from joining some mud adobes in the poorest sections of Mexico.

Afghanistan is no less of an illegal war than Iraq. The problem is too many people have been suckered by 9E heartstrings and the claim we went on "self-defense" is bullshit on several levels, including violating international laws and our own. Why do it? This is a decent link for starters:

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/documents/7552683/download?commit=Download+Now&secret_password=

That link would tend to fall under the "guy in the basement with the typewriter" heading, IMO. In fairness, I don't have a ton of time right now so I just skimmed it. It appears to be more of a 20 page pamphlet. I did a search on "Afghansitan" and found it in one paragraph on page 12. As I predicted, it was about the unocal pipeline deal and basically just asserted (with scant proof) that we went in to secure the pipeline deal.

That still doesn't outline how the Afghani invasion was all about Oil. At best, Chevron would benefit from the oil deal and it's doubtful that the money they got out of the deal would even begin to cover our costs.

I mean, I've been hearing about the pipeline deal since we went into A-stan, but it never has seemed to be an impressive argument to me. I am not trying to just dismiss your claims, but you aren't giving me a lot.

After Monday, if the thread is still alive, I'll read through the entire document. I certainly didn't see anything in there that was a "slam dunk" for oil as the cause of our invasion.

Furthermore, no matter how you slice it, you can't get around 9-11.

Here's a more detailed link on who knew what and when about afghanistan's resources. The info was known at least 15 years before we invaded in 2001.
Mining

I guess "newly discovered" is American for "We own it whereever it is so fuck off."

Again, one trillion dollars in minerals is a fraction of our costs there. Bush might have sucked at business, but I think he could subtract 4 and 1 and even work with negative integers.

Mining

:cuckoo:

Yep, Curvey, our Brilliant Government started 15 years ago plotting so the Taliban would support Al Queda, and Al Queda would terrorise the nation into justifying an invasion so that we could mine in a country without a railroad.

Moron.
:lol::lol::lol:

Mining

Yep, Curvey, our Brilliant Government started 15 years ago plotting so the Taliban would support Al Queda, and Al Queda would terrorise the nation into justifying an invasion so that we could mine in a country without a railroad.

Moron.

You suck at even strawmen. Give it up dumbass.

Mining

Moron.

Mining

Again, one trillion dollars in minerals is a fraction of our costs there. Bush might have sucked at business, but I think he could subtract 4 and 1 and even work with negative integers.

I'm not pointing out the monetary value. I'm pointing out the claim it is "newly discovered" is pure bullshit. With such obvious evidence all of these minerals were discovered long ago why would our government claim they are "newly discovered?"

Lol.......you could present a "pulitzer prize" book on cooking. The fact it is a PP winning book is irrelevent.

Except it wasn't on cooking, it was on Afghanistan. And a PP is not irrelevant. It means it wasn't some crack-pot diatribe some guy punched out in his basement on a 40 year old type writer. It means the book was researched and reviewed.

What matters is the focus and GW does a great job of revealing a little known history of our actions in Afghanistan but it doesn't do much for explaining our current occupation.

That link would tend to fall under the "guy in the basement with the typewriter" heading, IMO. In fairness, I don't have a ton of time right now so I just skimmed it. It appears to be more of a 20 page pamphlet. I did a search on "Afghansitan" and found it in one paragraph on page 12. As I predicted, it was about the unocal pipeline deal and basically just asserted (with scant proof) that we went in to secure the pipeline deal.

That still doesn't outline how the Afghani invasion was all about Oil. At best, Chevron would benefit from the oil deal and it's doubtful that the money they got out of the deal would even begin to cover our costs.

I mean, I've been hearing about the pipeline deal since we went into A-stan, but it never has seemed to be an impressive argument to me. I am not trying to just dismiss your claims, but you aren't giving me a lot.

After Monday, if the thread is still alive, I'll read through the entire document. I certainly didn't see anything in there that was a "slam dunk" for oil as the cause of our invasion.

Furthermore, no matter how you slice it, you can't get around 9-11.

Holy shit man. I'm getting worn out really fast on re-stating my position because you keep throwing up strawmen. I didn't say we went for the oil, the gas, the minerals, or the drugs. How many times do I have to re-state such basics?

The fact GW won a PP does nothing to address the fact it does not even attempt to explain the reasons why we are occupying Afghanistan. I've already stated that. Hell, I'm spending more time re-writing what I've already posted because you keep ignoring it.

I posted the scrib link because it helps explain the impact of the petrodollar.....I stated that but you ignored it and did a word search for "afghanistan."

It's quite fucking simple: the US economy survives solely on the petrodollar. Occupying iraq and afghanistan gives us logistical advantages to using our military to make sure the petrodollar stays in place because if the petroeuro takes over the US will collapse. Are you not aware we changed iraq's oil trading right after we invaded? Do you think that is a coincidence?

As for 9E.....I'm not "trying to get around it." I'm pointing out it did not justify invading afghanistan which is why the UN never approved the invasion and why it is illegal. The tally never protected bin laden nor provided material assistance. If you've really researched afghanistan you know we have done far far far more to finance and support bin laden than the tally ever dreamed of. Like it or not, you got pimped out like the rest of us who joined and served in the last 30 years because we haven't been defending America. We've been getting used to engage in Imperialism. The sooner you admit it the quicker you'll be able to analyze the issues without constantly trying to tell yourself it was all legit.

(On a side note....Bush himself is a fucking idiot. He was never the acting President. He did whatever cheney + crew told him to do)

I'm not pointing out the monetary value. I'm pointing out the claim it is "newly discovered" is pure bullshit. With such obvious evidence all of these minerals were discovered long ago why would our government claim they are "newly discovered?"

The source in the OP is the NY Times.

And you're surprised they'd get something wrong....or, half wrong?

The United States has discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, far beyond any previously known reserves and enough to fundamentally alter the Afghan economy and perhaps the Afghan war itself, according to senior American government officials.

The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big....

The poorly constructed sentence says;

1. Mineral Deposites had ALREADY been discovered
BUT
2. The Deposites have been "Discovered" to be much larger than previously believed.

Finally, there is no justification for your idiotic leap in "logic:"

"I guess "newly discovered" is American for "We own it whereever it is so fuck off."

The United States has discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, far beyond any previously known reserves and enough to fundamentally alter the Afghan economy and perhaps the Afghan war itself, according to senior American government officials.

The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big....

BUT
2. The Deposites have been "Discovered" to be much larger than previously believed.

"I guess "newly discovered" is American for "We own it whereever it is so fuck off."

What part of "give it up dumbass" was confusing for you? The NYT is quoting the pentagon you fucking moron. Hence, it is our government claiming it is a new discovery. Even the amounts are not a new discovery but don't let facts stumble your hurling idiocy.

BUT

What part of "give it up dumbass" was confusing for you? The NYT is quoting the pentagon you fucking moron. Hence, it is our government claiming it is a new discovery. Even the amounts are not a new discovery but don't let facts stumble your hurling idiocy.

You've at least proven something:

Since you had no Cerebrum to begin with, your Lobotomy has been useless.

You're linky doesn't mention amounts, so you've no fucking clue that your weak backtrack, "Even the amounts are not a new discovery," is only another of your own frothy hallucinations.

Forum List

Back