U.S. hikes duty on Canadian softwood lumber to 17.9% — twice the old rate

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Well, this is a way to force change in a human right abusing nation like Canada. Maybe if we treated citizens like myself with dignity and basic premises of fairness, we'd rise to our potential and it would allow us to advocate on behalf of Canada rather than rot away while low performers milk the system.

I'm sure we will continue to send generational government patsies whose family have been in government for decades and to which they would be even worse to the U.S if the tables were turned. Everyone can see through this country. Even the cops in America can trust our Security Industrial Complex, can they?

Officials from various Canadian governments and the lumber industry are expressing disappointment that the U.S. has decided to go ahead with a plan to double the amount of duty it imposes on softwood lumber that comes from Canada.

On Wednesday, the U.S. Department of Commerce said it will proceed to impose duties of 17.9 per cent, on average on softwood lumber imported from Canada. That's twice the previous 8.99 per cent rate.

In May, the U.S. government said it planned to hike the rate to 18.32 per cent, but after further analysis over the summer the agency decided to ratchet down that plan, but still double the levy.

The U.S. says Canadian lumber producers dump their product into the U.S. at a lower price than American lumber companies can because they are subsidized. So the U.S. puts a tariff on all softwood lumber from Canada to raise its price at the retail level, which encourages consumers to buy American wood.

Canada has long rejected those allegations, and various trade tribunals on the matter have found in Canada's favour.

Well, this is a way to force change in a human right abusing nation like Canada. Maybe if we treated citizens like myself with dignity and basic premises of fairness, we'd rise to our potential and it would allow us to advocate on behalf of Canada rather than rot away while low performers milk the system.

I'm sure we will continue to send generational government patsies whose family have been in government for decades and to which they would be even worse to the U.S if the tables were turned. Everyone can see through this country. Even the cops in America can trust our Security Industrial Complex, can they?

Officials from various Canadian governments and the lumber industry are expressing disappointment that the U.S. has decided to go ahead with a plan to double the amount of duty it imposes on softwood lumber that comes from Canada.

On Wednesday, the U.S. Department of Commerce said it will proceed to impose duties of 17.9 per cent, on average on softwood lumber imported from Canada. That's twice the previous 8.99 per cent rate.

In May, the U.S. government said it planned to hike the rate to 18.32 per cent, but after further analysis over the summer the agency decided to ratchet down that plan, but still double the levy.

The U.S. says Canadian lumber producers dump their product into the U.S. at a lower price than American lumber companies can because they are subsidized. So the U.S. puts a tariff on all softwood lumber from Canada to raise its price at the retail level, which encourages consumers to buy American wood.

Canada has long rejected those allegations, and various trade tribunals on the matter have found in Canada's favour.
The left is in power here. They steal from everyone. It's just how they roll. I don't know if it's fair price or not. But it will restrict supply and cost more for us as well.

LETS GO BRANDON.

Where is the msm uproar. If Trump had done this, they'd be out for blood.

Trump did do it, silly one! The tariff policy has been going on for a decade, that means during Trump as well.... Yet y'all didn't do your whining then.... :rolleyes:
Shortages right now. In everything. Not a time to deny products.

Trump did do it, silly one! The tariff policy has been going on for a decade, that means during Trump as well.... Yet y'all didn't do your whining then.... :rolleyes:
ok but the point being made isn’t that Trump didnt impose tariffs (or if it was right to do so or not) but that the media treated that usage differently then vs now.

Call it the "human right tariff".

Biden could hit Ontario steel and aluminum with a similar tariff, that could help this province "see the light".

Last edited:
You didn't pay attention when many of us expressed dissent when Trump put tariffs on Canadian imports.

It was still better than having potato puppet perverts entirely shutting down pipelines for fuel and if there is a funny part, the only inflation of construction material prices was because of the covid dempanic leftist media apparatchiks promoted. The rest of us could have gotten along just fine with some mean tweets and a nasty cold that took out old fat diabetics that get in the way on their scooters while we shopped at Home Depot.

Did I post that?

You fucking bet I did.

God might give me diabetes but it was worth it.

You didn't pay attention when many of us expressed dissent when Trump put tariffs on Canadian imports.

It was still better than having potato puppet perverts entirely shutting down pipelines for fuel and if there is a funny part, the only inflation of construction material prices was because of the covid dempanic leftist media apparatchiks promoted. The rest of us could have gotten along just fine with some mean tweets and a nasty cold that took out old fat diabetics that get in the way on their scooters while we shopped at Home Depot.

Did I post that?

You fucking bet I did.

God might give me diabetes but it was worth it.

So you believe Canada should be able to dump their cheap lumber due to these Canadian lumber companies being subsidized by the Canadian government... in to the USA and that is ok and fair to USA Lumber Companies? Really?

So you believe Canada should be able to dump their cheap lumber due to these Canadian lumber companies being subsidized by the Canadian government... in to the USA and that is ok and fair to USA Lumber Companies? Really?
Not at all, I just expect the same treatment of the current resident by the media as the last POTUS got. Apparently you and the msm figured that China should be able to manipulate the market with impunity when Trump imposed those tariffs. I am surprised that you are blind to the hypocrisy.

Wasn't the Left bitching about Trump's tariffs?

Not at all, I just expect the same treatment of the current resident by the media as the last POTUS got. Apparently you and the msm figured that China should be able to manipulate the market with impunity when Trump imposed those tariffs. I am surprised that you are blind to the hypocrisy.
When China was dumping their Steel in to the USA, dirt cheap, didn't the USA finally do something about it?

Forum List

Back