U.S.A. Men's Curling

BradVesp

Dec 16, 2017
Chicago
How about that curling event, A? Our guy (Was it John Shuster that took the last shot?) put the stone right down the middle for a win, and a gold meddle match.
Right - down - the - middle.

h1362C2EF

To quote a fellow coworker; "The look like alcoholics". Go Team USA.

I looked up the team so I could find John Schuster's name. All the guys are from Minnesota or Northern Wisconsin. So, yeah, it's highly probable that they are, have been, or will be raging alcoholics.

I have issues with alcohol, and other people's alcohol abuse. I'm very skeptical that one can perform well while being regularly intoxicated. I imagine they can't drink too much and still be Olympians. I know it's curling, but it still requires good hand-eye coordination and precise muscular control. I wonder if these guys drink, really. I'm sure they joke about it.

I'll bet it would be hard to do curling with a cat though. It would keep trying to attack the brooms things (whatever those things are). It would definitely make it more interesting though! :lol:

I'm very skeptical that one can perform well while being regularly intoxicated.

View attachment 178388

When was this? How regularly was he intoxicated? it was a 160 game season. Half a dozen bad days when you're drunk would go unnoticed, but you could talk and talk about that drunkenness all 160. I just don't know what's true.
Dude...that's Babe Ruth. He personified over indulgence. You should read up on him. Read up on Mickey Mantle as well. Both of them were famous drunks.

View attachment 178388

When was this? How regularly was he intoxicated? it was a 160 game season. Half a dozen bad days when you're drunk would go unnoticed, but you could talk and talk about that drunkenness all 160. I just don't know what's true.
Dude...that's Babe Ruth. He personified over indulgence. You should read up on him. Read up on Mickey Mantle as well. Both of them were famous drunks.

Yes, I know who that is. I also know they played in NYC and the media has a tendency to blow things out from their real proportion. It is possible, if maybe conspiricy-theory-ish, that they had half a dozen drunken photo-ops that cemented an identity as drunks and that they were stone cold sober for months at a time.

I mean Kyle Farnsworth did not pan out. The Wrigley Field area bars churned up and destroyed some promising careers in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

View attachment 178388

Yes, I know who that is. I also know they played in NYC and the media has a tendency to blow things out from their real proportion. It is possible, if maybe conspiricy-theory-ish, that they had half a dozen drunken photo-ops that cemented an identity as drunks and that they were stone cold sober for months at a time.

I mean Kyle Farnsworth did not pan out. The Wrigley Field area bars churned up and destroyed some promising careers in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.
Mickey Mantle got a liver transplant if that is any indication.

“Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, ‘It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.’”

-B. Ruth

View attachment 178388

“Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, ‘It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.’”

-B. Ruth

I mean, sure, that's nice.

A cursory perusing on wikipedia suggests that while Ruth was a drunk the Yankees lost, when he was in shape they won. Look at the 1925 season. That's enough drama to cement his status a a drunk for an entire career; none the wiser.

This was supposed to be about curling. lol.

-B. Ruth

I mean, sure, that's nice.

A cursory perusing on wikipedia suggests that while Ruth was a drunk the Yankees lost, when he was in shape they won. Look at the 1925 season. That's enough drama to cement his status a a drunk for an entire career; none the wiser.

This was supposed to be about curling. lol.
You think hitting a >90mph baseball takes LESS hand eye coordination? No...these guys were incredible sauce hounds and were two of the best to ever play. Can everyone do this? Hell no...but there are people out there man.

The US team looks like Bill Swerski's Chicago Bears Curling League and the Swedish team looks like the Alpine Skier/ Apple Software engineers team. "So, if the match were between the entire nation of Sweden and one unnamed head coach who we'll refer to as 'Ditka', who would win?"

"I think that's a tough match Bill, Ditka would have to throw the stone and run down and broom in front of it. I'd give it to Ditka 23-2."

That replay was cool to watch.
I'm still not really sure what's going one, but I think I get the brooms, now; then can speed up the stones by creating a ramp in the ice.

Any idea how long these contests take? I watched the replay for close to 1.5 hours, and they only covered 3 or 4 innings. Seems like they're sliding stones for as long as a baseball game.

Forum List

Back