U. of Rhode Island to Remove WWII Murals Due to Lack of Diversity

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
I wonder if these students who complained about the mural's lack of diversity ever listen to the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Who, Led Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd, all of whom are composed entirely of white males.

By Tom Ciccotta

September 9, 2020

The University of Rhode Island recently announced plans to remove two murals depicting the events of World War II due to their lack of diversity. The decision was prompted after students complained that the mural was not compatible with the university’s values of inclusivity. According to the school’s Vice President of Student Affairs, “Some of our students have even shared with us they didn’t feel comfortable sitting in that space.”

According to a local news report, the University of Rhode Island plans to remove two 70-year-old murals that depict World War II over concerns that they do not feature enough diversity.

The murals were painted to pay respect to the memories of those that lost their lives in World War II. The murals feature various scenes including veterans returning to the United States and a University of Rhode Island class reunion.

Kathy Collins, the University of Rhode Island’s Vice President of Student Affairs, said that she has received numerous complaints from students about the murals’ lack of diversity.

“I have received complaints about the murals that portray a very homogeneous population predominately the persons painted and depicted on the wall are predominantly white and that does not represent who our institution is today,” Collins said. “Some of our students have even shared with us they didn’t feel comfortable sitting in that space.”

The murals were painted by Art Sherman, who is now a 95-year-old veteran and a member of the University of Rhode Island’s class of 1950. “Oh, I loved painting that, yeah,” Sherman told a reporter this week. “I never had any formal education in painting by the way I just used to cartoon.”

“Well, it depicted that era,” Sherman continued. “A lot of students, friends of mine, would come by and say why don’t you do this, why don’t you do that so that’s what I did so everybody chipped in.”

Breitbart News reported in June 2019 that George Washington High School in San Francisco decided that they would erase an “offensive” mural of George Washington.

Well, one hates to say it, but if monuments and murals are going to reflect the greatest accomplishments they are going to be almost exclusively of European-stock males. And in fact, when such accolades have been created in recent years, they are often dedicated to those whose merit is barely middling, but they are women, people of color, and people of irregular sexuality.

So what is it going to be? Celebrate excellence or not?

I have received complaints about the murals that portray a very homogeneous population predominately the persons painted and depicted on the wall are predominantly white and that does not represent who our institution is today,”
Translation: Ignorant liberals want to depict history the way they wish it to be rather than how it really was

1599824872690.png

If we destroy the whole white culture, this nation may go back to the horse and buggy era.

I'm not sure what's worse, the students/activists bitching about the Mural, or the weasel-y non response-response by URI

University statement on Memorial Union mural

As we move forward, we want to assure our students and our alumni that we will work together to find a way to acknowledge our past and point toward our future. We are a community that values equity and diversity, and we will work to ensure that our students, alumni and community members of all backgrounds feel welcome and included.

In no way was the decision to change the images in the space connected to any disregard for our veterans. Our Office of Veterans Affairs and Military Programs and our Student Veteran Organization see this artwork as a depiction of a specific period of time and not reflective of campus and military culture today.

Everything is about altering history to make it more appealing to the emotionally disabled.
Candy ass panderings from government

I have received complaints about the murals that portray a very homogeneous population predominately the persons painted and depicted on the wall are predominantly white and that does not represent who our institution is today,”
Translation: Ignorant liberals want to depict history the way they wish it to be rather than how it really was
And how they wish things were is THE crux of their fallacious contentions snd actions

So U.R.I. is offended by the reality of the lack of diversity in that 1 sliver of time captured and depicted in art...?

Forum List

Back