Two months ago my medical bill was $874 and I checked today and now its $65???

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
Wonder what happened? I kept throwing the bill in the trash because I dont have that kind of money. And then when i went to click on Bill details I dont see anything that was paid. I was thinking maybe my insurance paid but its nothing showing in the summary. So it looks like medical bills will eventually fall off and you dont have to pay

Wonder what happened? I kept throwing the bill in the trash because I dont have that kind of money. And then when i went to click on Bill details I dont see anything that was paid. I was thinking maybe my insurance paid but its nothing showing in the summary. So it looks like medical bills will eventually fall off and you dont have to pay
They get reimbursed by the government for a portion of the cost to serve indigents. The fact is, NO ONE can be turned away from an ER because of their inability to pay. It isn't a great system because the hospitals try to get funds by charging ridiculous prices to those who do have insurance BUT, even that system will be better than the one we are being pushed toward. "Single-payer" will create a multi-layered system where only the wealthy will get the treatment options that are available today. The rest of us will get service from the least educated and motivated.

They get reimbursed by the government for a portion of the cost to serve indigents. The fact is, NO ONE can be turned away from an ER because of their inability to pay. It isn't a great system because the hospitals try to get funds by charging ridiculous prices to those who do have insurance BUT, even that system will be better than the one we are being pushed toward. "Single-payer" will create a multi-layered system where only the wealthy will get the treatment options that are available today. The rest of us will get service from the least educated and motivated.
I had a test done last year and sent me a $8000 bill and I was like........."what am I supposed to do this? LOL

I had a test done last year and sent me a $8000 bill and I was like........."what am I supposed to do this? LOL

On the bright side, if bill collectors send you enough paper bills you could offset heating costs by burning them in the old fireplace.

If you have insurance, any RAW bill from the medical provider should SHOW the insurance reimbursements. And certainly $8000 would more than satisfy most any deductible.

Have you EVER gotten "claims summary" from your insurer?

If NOT issured -- THEY WILL WHEEL/DEAL. Because NOBODY (including the insurance companies) EVER pays the phony ORIGINAL price (the $8000 "rack rate" for example). I sympathize with the private doctors and hospitals because the insurance companies hold all the customer (90%) and therefore can negotiate them into oblivion.

On claims summaries I've seen, when the insurance "pay out" its like 20 to 35% of the phony rack rate. And then my GP charges FOUR OR FIVE TIMES the actual cost. And next year he'll get a letter allowing only 25% -- so he HIKES the rack rate. He MAKES much less than my veterinarian, but a veterinarian HAS to hold their rates down because most customers are UNinsured.

As uninsured or in an "insurance gap" you can negotiate payment plans that add up to maybe 35% of those phony bills.

Maybe the hospital wrote most of it off. I would not count on it routinely, if I were you.

If you have insurance, any RAW bill from the medical provider should SHOW the insurance reimbursements. And certainly $8000 would more than satisfy most any deductible.

Have you EVER gotten "claims summary" from your insurer?

If NOT issured -- THEY WILL WHEEL/DEAL. Because NOBODY (including the insurance companies) EVER pays the phony ORIGINAL price (the $8000 "rack rate" for example). I sympathize with the private doctors and hospitals because the insurance companies hold all the customer (90%) and therefore can negotiate them into oblivion.

On claims summaries I've seen, when the insurance "pay out" its like 20 to 35% of the phony rack rate. And then my GP charges FOUR OR FIVE TIMES the actual cost. And next year he'll get a letter allowing only 25% -- so he HIKES the rack rate. He MAKES much less than my veterinarian, but a veterinarian HAS to hold their rates down because most customers are UNinsured.

As uninsured or in an "insurance gap" you can negotiate payment plans that add up to maybe 35% of those phony bills.
The insurance only paid $7400

The insurance only paid $7400

Dont think the insurance actually PAID that much to the biller. That's probably $600 you owed after they NAGGED the biller down to $2000, paid $1400 -- and you owed the $600. Insurance companies RARELY PAY anywhere near what the biller is requesting. If I'm understanding the story.

Maybe the hospital wrote most of it off. I would not count on it routinely, if I were you.

They normally call and offer a payment plan at some discount before they write it off. I had a big bill for a family member awhile back, and I made MY OWN 4 month payment plan -- until they called and made an official one.

They normally call and offer a payment plan at some discount before they write it off. I had a big bill for a family member awhile back, and I made MY OWN 4 month payment plan -- until they called and made an official one.
My wife has simply written some large portions off, when they knew there was no way an indigent was ever going to be able to pay, and it indeed becomes a case of now you see, now you don't. How this happens probably varies from hospital to hospital, but I suspect it is done, a lot, but not done lightly.

In what country?

There is no payment plan for $8000 lol

Forum List

Back