Two Bits

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
While waiting for the haircut person to get started with me yesterday, an old geezer (like me) in the next cubicle, said, "Shave and a haircut - two bits." His stylist, a 40-ish woman looked at him with the expression of, "WTF are you talking about?"

My own person also looked perplexed, and I repeated, "Shave and a haircut - TWO BITS!"

Both stylists continued to look at us with the deer-in-the-headlights stare and I rendered the musical version, Bup bup bup bup bup - BUP BUP!

"What in the world are you talking about?"

Neither had ever heard the expression or its musical version. Neither had any idea what or how much "two bits" was, even when I repeated the old cheerleader thing, "Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar; everyone for our team, stand up and holler!"

Public schools. What a waste.

While waiting for the haircut person to get started with me yesterday, an old geezer (like me) in the next cubicle, said, "Shave and a haircut - two bits." His stylist, a 40-ish woman looked at him with the expression of, "WTF are you talking about?"

My own person also looked perplexed, and I repeated, "Shave and a haircut - TWO BITS!"

Both stylists continued to look at us with the deer-in-the-headlights stare and I rendered the musical version, Bup bup bup bup bup - BUP BUP!

Neither had ever heard the expression or its musical version. Neither had any idea what or how much "two bits" was, even when I repeated the old cheerleader thing, "Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar; everyone for our team, stand up and holler!"

I wonder how many song lyrics those 40 years could recite that you've never heard? We may think the songs we love will be around forever but that's not the way the world works. My kids don't really like the Beatles or the Stones or any of the classics from my day. Tough to get old gracefully.

They were right to inquire, because the phrase is SIX bits.

Still chuckling over the elementary school teacher who believed our then 9 year old son had an imaginary friend....

When he and she approached the classroom door he swept his arm low and said: "After you, Alphonse".

When I explained it to her (web-search "Alphonse and Gaston) she turned to calling him gender confused and her name was NOT "Alphonse".

I don't think that now,nearly 50 years later, she has ever figured it out.

Our history is dying.

Last edited:

Stylists?

Perhaps a several years ago when you were 13 it was SIX bits.
It originated as TWO bits because that was the price of a shave and a haircut when the phrase came into the vernacular.

These days, under the burden of liberal inflation, it's at least SIXTY BUCKS. And bits are only for drilling.

Still chuckling over the elementary school teacher who believed our then 9 year old son had an imaginary friend....

When he and she approached the classroom door he swept his arm low and said: "After you, Alphonse".

When I explained it to her (web-search "Alphonse and Gaston) she turned calling him gender confused and her name was NOT "Alphonse".

I don't think that now,nearly 50 years later, she has ever figured it out.

Our history is dying.
How much do you remember living in 1900?

I paid 240 bits for my last haircut, but that was including a 56 bit tip.

It originated as TWO bits because that was the price of a shave and a haircut when the phrase came into the vernacular.

These days, under the burden of liberal inflation, it's at least SIXTY BUCKS. And bits are only for drilling.

Number one there is no such thing as "liberal inflation" and number two ---------- Link?

You've given me a great idea. I've got a lot of redundant drill bits and my hair's gettin' shaggy.

However my hairdoer is like 35-40 years old so she wouldn't know the bit. But we're a small town so she only charges like 48 bits anyway.

How, however, is any of this in any way related to "public schools"?

screenshot_1260.png

You men always paid less than us girls who paid our stylists tips higher than your entire shave and a haircut. :poke::badgrin:

You men always paid less than us girls who paid our stylists tips higher than your entire shave and a haircut. :poke::badgrin:

Dat's cuz y'all are prettier than we are. Pretty costs money. :deal:

Last edited:
I go to a place called, "Great Clips," and they are not - at least in my case - "stylists." They have a formulaic thing where they use different attachment for the electric clippers, which determine how long the hair is cut. When I walk in, they look me up on the computer and ask, "Still Number 5?" to which I respond in the affirmative. It always comes out perfect. Makes no difference which person does it; always the same.

They charge $13 for a HC, with a two dollar reduction for old bastards and veterans (but no double dipping). I generally give them $16 in total. It takes about 6-8 minutes for the whole thing to play out.

I presume these haircut people are all public-school educated. Silly me.

Forum List

Back