Two 1/2 hour gig song list for a cover band in 2021.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
If you were starting a cover/tribute band in these extremely uncertain times, is the best way I can describe it.....you've got the band, and now you need a popular song list to roll with.

Obviously , whenever the club scene opens back up which it will, there'll be different venues for different crowds - everything from country to R&B, rap, Pop, blues or jazz fusion, classic rock, heavy metal and any combination of those, but for myself I'm going with something like--- mostly classic rock, some blues, a little 'contemporary' jazz fusion ( but not too Marriott Hotel-sounding), some improv jamming and not too heavy metal songs. I'm not sure.

I have my own set in mind , but I want to hear yours. Serious answers please...in the meantime, I'm about to change strings on my new Ibanez (used) with the Floyd Rose floating double locking tremolo...it takes a lot of patience - you other guitar players know...I have it all the way down in drop D standard tuning right now.....messing with some Alice in Chains and stuff.

If you were starting a cover/tribute band in these extremely uncertain times, is the best way I can describe it.....you've got the band, and now you need a popular song list to roll with.

Obviously , whenever the club scene opens back up which it will, there'll be different venues for different crowds - everything from country to R&B, rap, Pop, blues or jazz fusion, classic rock, heavy metal and any combination of those, but for myself I'm going with something like--- mostly classic rock, some blues, a little 'contemporary' jazz fusion ( but not too Marriott Hotel-sounding), some improv jamming and not too heavy metal songs. I'm not sure.

I have my own set in mind , but I want to hear yours. Serious answers please...in the meantime, I'm about to change strings on my new Ibanez (used) with the Floyd Rose floating double locking tremolo...it takes a lot of patience - you other guitar players know...I have it all the way down in drop D standard tuning right now.....messing with some Alice in Chains and stuff.

I'm a little older school.

2 1/2 hours is a LONG set.

My standard set list is

Whiskey in the Jar
Rock and Roll
Black Dog
Faeries Wear Boots
Already Gone
Mississippi Queen
Samba Pa Ti
Life's Been Good
Shine on you Crazy Diamond
If my daughter in law is present, I throw in Landslide with her singing

4 piece dino rockers, base, drums, me on guitar, and vocalist

I play a 1986 Les Paul Custom with a Symour Duncan Jazz Master on the bridge and SH-4 on the neck. Bone nut, EB Cobolt 9's as strings

An Epiphone Riviera II with P-95's

Takamine TF series Koa body for the acoustic.

We've all gotten old and wear out after an hour and a half or so.

Last edited:

I'm a little older school.

2 1/2 hours is a LONG set.

My standard set list is

Whiskey in the Jar
Rock and Roll
Black Dog
Faeries Wear Boots
Already Gone
Mississippi Queen
Samba Pa Ti
Life's Been Good
Shine on you Crazy Diamond
If my daughter in law is present, I throw in Landslide with her singing

4 piece dino rockers, base, drums, me on guitar, and vocalist

I play a 1986 Les Paul Custom with a Symour Dunkan Jazz Master on the bridge and SH-4 on the neck. Bone nut, EB Cobolt 9's as strings

An Epiphone Riviera II with P-95's

Takamine TF series Koa body for the acoustic.

We've all gotten old and wear out after an hour and a half or so.
Cool. A few years ago there was a cover band down the road here called Electric Funeral that did a great Faeries wear boots cover.
Well , including requests, it's good to know as many as possible right ?

I play a 1986 Les Paul Custom with a Symour Dunkan Jazz Master on the bridge and SH-4 on the neck. Bone nut, EB Cobolt 9's as strings
I don't know what year this was made - got it used at a pawn shop....
( pics coming )
The previous owner installed a Seymour Duncan bridge pickup. And I have a question.. why do they have the bridge parts offset like this;
(the D bridge is farther back
20210222_031435.jpg

Last edited:
Cool. A few years ago there was a cover band down the road here called Electric Funeral that did a great Faeries wear boots cover.
Well , including requests, it's good to know as many as possible right ?

When I was a kid, that opening riff was just the coolest thing ever. Then when I learned it it was like "wait, that's just a G minor?" :)

Black Sabbath taught me how to really bend.

I don't know what year this was made - got it used at a pawn shop....
( pics coming )
The previous owner installed a Seymour Duncan bridge pickup.

Guitar Center several years ago threw in a set of Colbalts if you bought a case of strings.

Now I won't use anything else.

When I was a kid, that opening riff was just the coolest thing ever. Then when I learned it it was like "wait, that's just a G minor?" :)

Black Sabbath taught me how to really bend.
Back when I should have been learning Black Sabbath songs, unfortunately I was more into playing baseball. I haven't started taking it beyond the hobby stage until about the last 3 or 4 years. I have an autobiographical song called Late Bloomer in progress.

Just for fun I'm going to improvise something over a little backing track like this and post it later. Next month I'm getting a new boss multi-effects pedal so I can play over my own stuff.

Last edited:
Hmmm, 2.5 hours is indeed a long set. My list is a bit eclectic. But it hits a bunch of different artists and times.

1. Remedy

2. Disappear (INXS)

3. 6 Underground (Sneaker Pimps)

4. Oh Well Parts 1 & 2

5. Down in a Hole

6. Enter Sandman

7. YYZ

8. Bright Lights (Matchbox Twenty)

9. Can't Find my Way home

10. Crazy Train

11. Sugar (Maroon 5)

12. Burden in My Hand (Soundgarden)

13. Radioactive (Within Temptation arrangement)

14. Over the Hills and far Away

15. Under the Bridge

16. Hey Joe

17. Werewolves of London

18. Who are You

19. Sweet Home Alabama

20. Barracuda

21. Funk #49

22. Hotel California

23. Stay With Me (Faces)

24. Blue Collar Man

25. Stray Cat Strut