Twitter sued by feminist blogger blocked over 'men aren't women' tweet: lawsuit

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
It's starting, folks. Twitter is being sued by its users for its biased enforcement policy. It can't come soon enough. It will be driven into bankruptcy by the flood of lawsuits that's coming.

Social media giant Twitter is being sued by a Canadian blogger who says she was permanently banned from the platform last year for her tweets about transgender people, a lawsuit said Monday.

Meghan Murphy, the founder of the blog Feminist Current, was locked out of her account last year when the company asked her to delete a tweet that said, “Men aren’t women,” CNET reported, citing the lawsuit. A second tweet said, “How are transwomen not men?” according to the suit.

She had violated the social media site’s rules against hateful conduct when she referenced a transgender woman as “him,” resulting in her ban, the Mercury News reported.

Why aren't most social media sites sued out of business are just closed by the govt over fraud .Everyone knows bits abound o .them yet they are allowed to include them in advert pricing......it's called fraud

It’s also a waste of the court’s time. You don’t have a right to be hosted by any social media platform. It would be like suing this forum b/c you felt your ban was unfair. After the laughter dies down in the courtroom it will get promptly dismissed.

Fraud is never a waste of courts time. Not sueing for access but to put it out if it's misery

Twitter is not an essential utility. You can be fired for saying something on Twitter that your boss doesn't like, but nobody seems to care about that.

It's starting, folks. Twitter is being sued by its users for its biased enforcement policy. It can't come soon enough. It will be driven into bankruptcy by the flood of lawsuits that's coming.

Social media giant Twitter is being sued by a Canadian blogger who says she was permanently banned from the platform last year for her tweets about transgender people, a lawsuit said Monday.

Meghan Murphy, the founder of the blog Feminist Current, was locked out of her account last year when the company asked her to delete a tweet that said, “Men aren’t women,” CNET reported, citing the lawsuit. A second tweet said, “How are transwomen not men?” according to the suit.

She had violated the social media site’s rules against hateful conduct when she referenced a transgender woman as “him,” resulting in her ban, the Mercury News reported.

Twatter is a cancer on society.

Conservatives love the free market and limited government......

Until you don't.........

Why do so many people think Twitter owes them a platform?
because that's what they went into business to do? they're making money off my "free account" by advertising and selling my data. ergo, in a sense i am a paying customer.

Until you don't.........
should i now bring up a list of sites that the left has demanded get shut down by the gov, or stupid protests?

bet mine is bigger. :)

Why do so many people think Twitter owes them a platform?
It doesn't. But if it's going to claim it's just a carrier, then it had better not show bias. Otherwise, it can be sued.

Why shouldn't they be able to show bias?

Because they claim that their content isn't theirs, that they are not a publisher of said content. They claim to be an open platform, and the users provide the content.

Thus they can't be sued for the content, as they are protected via law.

There is also their own claims to being "open" platforms, and they do not have political biases as part of the terms of conditions.

I don’t have to serve you a wedding cake b/c reasons, but you have to host me on your social media b/c I am special. It’s amazing how many people switch their positions when it’s their ox being gored.

Until you don't.........

They want to be protected from legal responsibility of their content by saying they are not a "publisher", and then they compound that by claiming to be an open forum that does not included conservative political views as a violation of the terms of service. That they get them to be using other violations (threats, harrassment, etc) but only do so to one side of the spectrum is seen as an end around.

I don’t have to serve you a wedding cake b/c reasons, but you have to host me on your social media b/c I am special. It’s amazing how many people switch their positions when it’s their ox being gored.

Not at all. Twitter and other platforms, if they claim their content is not created by them, are a form of digital commons.

Hell, all they would have to do to make me happy is be honest about not wanting to host non-progressive content. My issue is their lying about it.

The baker doesn't claim the cake isn't his content, just the opposite.

It’s also a waste of the court’s time. You don’t have a right to be hosted by any social media platform. It would be like suing this forum b/c you felt your ban was unfair. After the laughter dies down in the courtroom it will get promptly dismissed.

Did you bother to find out the specifics of her lawsuit, or did you just make assumptions as to what it was about and run with them?

That's a rhetorical question, since I can see your post and how it doesn't relate to the basis of her suit.

Forum List

Back