Twelve Years A Slave

Pheonixops

Proud Liberal
Jan 27, 2012
On the tennis courts
The wife and I played hooky from work today and we were one of her favorite daytime shows; The View. The show had Jesse Ventura and then they had these two actors from a movie that is about to be release called "Twelve Years A Slave", it's based on a published narrative from Solomon Northrup, who was a free Black man living in New York and was kidnapped and sold into slavery.
I looked it up because the story sounded interesting, I think that he gave a balanced narrative on that condition. Here's a wiki reference to it if anyone is interested in reading it:
12 Years a Slave (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the actual memoirs, the docsouth link is a goldmine to find out and read memoirs, books, letters, etc. from that time period:
Solomon Northup. Twelve Years a Slave: Narrative ofSolomon Northup, a Citizen of New-York, Kidnapped in Washington City in1841, and Rescued in 1853.

I found this excerpt quite interesting, it's between a white caprpenter named Bass and the slave's master named Epps:

"But this question of Slavery; what right have you to your ******* when you come down to the point?"

"What right!" said Epps, laughing; "why, I bought 'em, and paid for 'em."

Of course you did; the law says you have the right to hold a ******, but begging the law's pardon, it lies. Yes, Epps, when the law says that it's a liar, and the truth is not in it. Is every thing right because the law allows it? Suppose they'd pass a law taking away your liberty and making you a slave?"

"Oh, that ain't a supposable case," said Epps, still laughing; "hope you don't compare me to a ******, Bass."

"Well," Bass answered gravely, "no, not exactly. But I have seen ******* before now as good as I am, and I have no acquaintance with any white man in these parts that I consider a whit better than myself. Now, in the sight of God, what is the difference, Epps, between a white man and a black one?"

"All the difference in the world," replied Epps. "You might as well ask what the difference is between
Page 267

a white man and a baboon. Now, I've seen one of them critters in Orleans that knowed just as much as any ****** I've got. You'd call them feller citizens, I s'pose?"—and Epps indulged in a loud laugh at his own wit.

"Look here, Epps," continued his companion; "you can't laugh me down in that way. Some men are witty, and some ain't so witty as they think they are. Now let me ask you a question. Are all men created free and equal as the Declaration of Independence holds they are?"

"Yes," responded Epps, "but all men, *******, and monkeys ain't;" and hereupon he broke forth into a more boisterous laugh than before.

"There are monkeys among white people as well as black, when you come to that," coolly remarked Bass. "I know some white men that use arguments no sensible monkey would. But let that pass. These ******* are human beings. If they don't know as much as their masters, whose fault is it? They are not allowed to know anything. You have books and papers, and can go where you please, and gather intelligence in a thousand ways. But your slaves have no privileges. You'd whip one of them if caught reading a book. They are held in bondage, generation after generation, deprived of mental improvement, and who can expect them to possess much knowledge? If they are not brought down to a level with the brute creation, you slaveholders will never be blamed for it. If they are baboons, or stand no
Page 268

higher in the scale of intelligence than such animals, you and men like you will have to answer for it.
There's a sin, a fearful sin, resting on this nation, that will not go unpunished forever. There will be a reckoning yet—yes, Epps, there's a day coming that will burn as an oven. It may be sooner or it may be later, but it's a coming as sure as the Lord is just."

"If you lived up among the Yankees in New-England," said Epps, "I expect you'd be one of them cursed fanatics that know more than the constitution, and go about peddling clocks and coaxing ******* to run away."

"If I was in New-England," returned Bass, "I would be just what I am here. I would say that Slavery was an iniquity, and ought to be abolished. I would say there was no reason nor justice in the law, or the constitution that allows one man to hold another man in bondage. It would be hard for you to lose your property, to be sure, but it wouldn't be half as hard as it would be to lose your liberty. You have no more right to your freedom, in exact justice, than Uncle Abram yonder. Talk about black skin, and black blood; why, how many slaves are there on this bayou as white as either of us? And what difference is there in the color of the soul? Pshaw! the whole system is as absurd as it is cruel. You may own ******* and behanged, but I wouldn't own one for the best plantation in Louisiana."

It's just a movie

It's actually a movie based on the 300+ page memoir I linked to under the link to the movie. It's a good read, I just finished reading it.

Correct. When my wife and I went to see "The Butler", we saw the previews of the movie and will be going to watch it. She read the book sometime ago and said then it would make a great movie.

The wife and I played hooky from work today and we were one of her favorite daytime shows; The View. The show had Jesse Ventura and then they had these two actors from a movie that is about to be release called "Twelve Years A Slave", it's based on a published narrative from Solomon Northrup, who was a free Black man living in New York and was kidnapped and sold into slavery.
I looked it up because the story sounded interesting, I think that he gave a balanced narrative on that condition. Here's a wiki reference to it if anyone is interested in reading it:
12 Years a Slave (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the actual memoirs, the docsouth link is a goldmine to find out and read memoirs, books, letters, etc. from that time period:
Solomon Northup. Twelve Years a Slave: Narrative ofSolomon Northup, a Citizen of New-York, Kidnapped in Washington City in1841, and Rescued in 1853.

I found this excerpt quite interesting, it's between a white caprpenter named Bass and the slave's master named Epps:

"But this question of Slavery; what right have you to your ******* when you come down to the point?"

"What right!" said Epps, laughing; "why, I bought 'em, and paid for 'em."

Of course you did; the law says you have the right to hold a ******, but begging the law's pardon, it lies. Yes, Epps, when the law says that it's a liar, and the truth is not in it. Is every thing right because the law allows it? Suppose they'd pass a law taking away your liberty and making you a slave?"

"Oh, that ain't a supposable case," said Epps, still laughing; "hope you don't compare me to a ******, Bass."

"Well," Bass answered gravely, "no, not exactly. But I have seen ******* before now as good as I am, and I have no acquaintance with any white man in these parts that I consider a whit better than myself. Now, in the sight of God, what is the difference, Epps, between a white man and a black one?"

"All the difference in the world," replied Epps. "You might as well ask what the difference is between
Page 267

a white man and a baboon. Now, I've seen one of them critters in Orleans that knowed just as much as any ****** I've got. You'd call them feller citizens, I s'pose?"—and Epps indulged in a loud laugh at his own wit.

"Look here, Epps," continued his companion; "you can't laugh me down in that way. Some men are witty, and some ain't so witty as they think they are. Now let me ask you a question. Are all men created free and equal as the Declaration of Independence holds they are?"

"Yes," responded Epps, "but all men, *******, and monkeys ain't;" and hereupon he broke forth into a more boisterous laugh than before.

"There are monkeys among white people as well as black, when you come to that," coolly remarked Bass. "I know some white men that use arguments no sensible monkey would. But let that pass. These ******* are human beings. If they don't know as much as their masters, whose fault is it? They are not allowed to know anything. You have books and papers, and can go where you please, and gather intelligence in a thousand ways. But your slaves have no privileges. You'd whip one of them if caught reading a book. They are held in bondage, generation after generation, deprived of mental improvement, and who can expect them to possess much knowledge? If they are not brought down to a level with the brute creation, you slaveholders will never be blamed for it. If they are baboons, or stand no
Page 268

higher in the scale of intelligence than such animals, you and men like you will have to answer for it.
There's a sin, a fearful sin, resting on this nation, that will not go unpunished forever. There will be a reckoning yet—yes, Epps, there's a day coming that will burn as an oven. It may be sooner or it may be later, but it's a coming as sure as the Lord is just."

"If you lived up among the Yankees in New-England," said Epps, "I expect you'd be one of them cursed fanatics that know more than the constitution, and go about peddling clocks and coaxing ******* to run away."

"If I was in New-England," returned Bass, "I would be just what I am here. I would say that Slavery was an iniquity, and ought to be abolished. I would say there was no reason nor justice in the law, or the constitution that allows one man to hold another man in bondage. It would be hard for you to lose your property, to be sure, but it wouldn't be half as hard as it would be to lose your liberty. You have no more right to your freedom, in exact justice, than Uncle Abram yonder. Talk about black skin, and black blood; why, how many slaves are there on this bayou as white as either of us? And what difference is there in the color of the soul? Pshaw! the whole system is as absurd as it is cruel. You may own ******* and behanged, but I wouldn't own one for the best plantation in Louisiana."

I've seen some clips from the movie. It looks good.

Another movie to keep the animosity going?

It is a movie based on a true narrative. No different than movies that are based on wars fought that were against other countries. Or historical events like The Holocaust, The Bible, or even the lives of gangsters who murdered each other during prohibition.

If you have animosity towards the movie being produced you have the option of not going to see it.

Well whatever the movie's about, it's worth, value, etc., I'm sure seeing what the geniuses on the View thought about it was a lot more important than showing up for your jobs.

Another movie to keep the animosity going?

LOL, if you read the memoirs you can see that many of the heroes were white. The memoirs caused such "animosity in me that I actually posted an excerpt of a White person who acted heroically toward Solomon Winthrop's condition, plight, and the institution of slavery itself.. :lol:

Well whatever the movie's about, it's worth, value, etc., I'm sure seeing what the geniuses on the View thought about it was a lot more important than showing up for your jobs.

I own my own business and my wife has a career where they allow sick days and personal days, so don't worry; your "tax dollars (if there are such coming from you) at all) are NOT supporting us. I am willing to bet that all of those "geniuses on the view" make more money than you do.................

If you notice the dialogue I posted, that ignorant bastard Epps made similar epithets and held similar theories about "the Blacks" then, that some of the racist and ignorant bastards make on his very forum today.

If you notice the dialogue I posted, that ignorant bastard Epps made similar epithets and held similar theories about "the Blacks" then, that some of the racist and ignorant bastards make on his very forum today.

Its all because of the theory invented to equate Blacks with animals so they could reconcile having slaves and also being christians. Once that commercial got going it has been on loop till this day.

Plop plop fizz fizz.........

If you can finish that line you see how powerful marketing is. That commercial was last played in the 70's. The marketing of Black inferiority did a head job on the general white population as well as Black people.

The disgust that I hold is that slavery still exists in nooks and crannies today. But a lot of THAT slavery ain't actually based on racism.. Shame that its not higher on the list of things to do.. To route it out and win that war..

But I sometimes wonder about the veracity of Southern slavery being so HEAVILY based on racism.. Because we know that slavery as an institution doesn't REQUIRE racism.. We tend to ignore all the WHITE indentured servants that preceded the plantations and were original Americans too..

Its all because of the theory invented to equate Blacks with animals so they could reconcile having slaves and also being christians. Once that commercial got going it has been on loop till this day.

If you can finish that line you see how powerful marketing is. That commercial was last played in the 70's. The marketing of Black inferiority did a head job on the general white population as well as Black people.
The angry black man.

The disgust that I hold is that slavery still exists in nooks and crannies today. But a lot of THAT slavery ain't actually based on racism.. Shame that its not higher on the list of things to do.. To route it out and win that war..

But I sometimes wonder about the veracity of Southern slavery being so HEAVILY based on racism.. Because we know that slavery as an institution doesn't REQUIRE racism.. We tend to ignore all the WHITE indentured servants that preceded the plantations and were original Americans too..

You can definitely bet it was based on economics then justified by racism. Just look at the amount of validation created for enslaving Black people by taking away their humanity. Being an indentured servant doesnt really compare because you at least have the hope that one day you will be free and its not just because of what ethnicity you are.

The angry black man.

Was that supposed to be an insult? :lol: If a person has no emotion about his ancestors, his current peers, and his descendants being programmed for perpetual slavery I would question his heart and his resolve to better his people.

You can definitely bet it was based on economics then justified by racism. Just look at the amount of validation created for enslaving Black people by taking away their humanity. Being an indentured servant doesnt really compare because you at least have the hope that one day you will be free and its not just because of what ethnicity you are.

It was a crazy mix of economics, racism, and denial.. But I don't see how a plantation slave owner could trust his very youngins to a bevvy of black women house staff every day believin' entirely in a "non-human" form of racism. Or promote a selected minority of their enslaved workers to positions of tremendous positions of responsibility in the biz..

Sometimes I think that the racism aspect was largely an external facade to maintain the evil franchise and a convienient excuse for an owner to act in rage and stupidity..

The angry black man.

Was that supposed to be an insult? :lol: If a person has no emotion about his ancestors, his current peers, and his descendants being programmed for perpetual slavery I would question his heart and his resolve to better his people.
Programmed for perpetual slavery? Kinda like the way the Democrats have been programming them for half a century now through welfare and government dependency?

It was a crazy mix of economics, racism, and denial.. But I don't see how a plantation slave owner could trust his very youngins to a bevvy of black women house staff every day believin' entirely in a "non-human" form of racism. Or promote a selected minority of their enslaved workers to positions of tremendous positions of responsibility in the biz..

Sometimes I think that the racism aspect was largely an external facade to maintain the evil franchise and a convienient excuse for an owner to act in rage and stupidity..

Racism was definitely used to excuse slavery. Whites left their children precisely because they so secure they were superior that they couldn't conceive of Black people being able to form a coherent thought to retaliate. Sort of how like people trust their dogs around their children. Blacks definitely fed into the dumb act to keep down the amount of fear among whites.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Forum List

Back