Trying something new.

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
I know hobbyists of all kinds who make all kinds of things. I've been a builder and carpenter but never really delved into finer types of woodworking until recently. but that's not the point of this topic.

Most people I know , me included, when they want to make something will look up how to make it before they start then they just make what someone else already made exactly the way someone else made it.

I tried something new yesterday. I had an idea in mind for a small bench to use for meditation and instead of looking up how to make one I went into the shop with no preconceived ideas on the process. I thought it would be cool to make the bench with no screws or nails, just pure wood joinery. I could have looked up all kinds of ways to do that but I wanted to figure it all out on my own.

Before I knew it hours had flown by as I experimented with different cuts , angles and routing. I didn't finish yet but yesterday was one of the most enjoyable afternoons I have ever spent in the wood shop

I think it was because instead of just making something I was creating it

I know hobbyists of all kinds who make all kinds of things. I've been a builder and carpenter but never really delved into finer types of woodworking until recently. but that's not the point of this topic.

Most people I know , me included, when they want to make something will look up how to make it before they start then they just make what someone else already made exactly the way someone else made it.

I tried something new yesterday. I had an idea in mind for a small bench to use for meditation and instead of looking up how to make one I went into the shop with no preconceived ideas on the process. I thought it would be cool to make the bench with no screws or nails, just pure wood joinery. I could have looked up all kinds of ways to do that but I wanted to figure it all out on my own.

Before I knew it hours had flown by as I experimented with different cuts , angles and routing. I didn't finish yet but yesterday was one of the most enjoyable afternoons I have ever spent in the wood shop

That is more or less my philosophy when it comes to landscaping. I just buy whatever I get on a whim and put it wherever I think it will live without any planning or forethought.

That is more or less my philosophy when it comes to landscaping. I just buy whatever I get on a whim and put it wherever I think it will live without any planning or forethought.

Yeah I love gardening

The only thing I try to do is use as many native plants as possible but anything goes really.

LOL....You must be rich given the price of furniture lumber these days!

I had a 8' X 18" X 1" piece of old black walnut that I got $150.00 for last year from a local artisans shop!

Nah I'm using scraps for this small bench

I have some really nice old oak I reclaimed and some maple pieces hanging around

I'm doing the mock up with scrap pine and poplar though

Nah I'm using scraps for this small bench

I have some really nice old oak I reclaimed and some maple pieces hanging around

I'm doing the mock up with scrap pine and poplar though
I made my mantle out of a old 4" thick Chestnut "hog board" they would use to butcher on.

I suspect that it was near 3' wide before I had it ripped/planed/routed.

I think I would have researched the different types of joints you can make before embarking on such an endeavor.

I think I would have researched the different types of joints you can make before embarking on such an endeavor.

I have a basic understanding of joinery even though I haven't spent a lot of time on it.

Yeah I love gardening

The only thing I try to do is use as many native plants as possible but anything goes really.
I am more the king of clearance plants. I seldom pay full price for plants so I am at the mercy of the sales. LOL. The last time I paid full price was maybe 3 years ago when I had to make a decision about some odd hollies that came with the property. They were just poorly positioned and too big to dig out. After I tried to murder them and they returned, I said to hell with it and made a proper hedge by buying a bunch more and creating a proper line of them.

There are DIYers and Makers and Craftsmen. (Dismissing those who throw up their hands at the thought of getting their hands dirty)

You just graduated from one level to the next. I think that you know where you fit....but the next level sneaks up and you end up there without even realizing it.

IMO creativity is an important element of happiness.

I told this dude to make me a bench and he did this ....

FB_IMG_1705435369543.jpg

Ruined my cedar wood.

Forum List

Back