Trump's Rookie Mistake

Some time ago, Donald Trump declared that he could kill somebody and his supporters wouldn’t care. He might want to rethink that arrogant certainty. If the results of the Wisconsin primary are any indication, Trump really can’t just do anything at all and count on lots of people voting for him.

Last week, Trump was asked if abortion was illegal, what should happen to women who have abortions? Trump answered, the woman should be punished. It was a logical response: something is illegal, you get punished for doing something illegal. Trouble is, logic is not the right answer. Trump muffed a gotcha question. You might call it a rookie mistake. He’s not a seasoned politician, he doesn’t have ready answers to gotcha questions. We might even cut him some slack. Except that, a rookie is supposed to learn from his mistakes, not ignore them, not compound the mistake.

Yesterday, Priests for Life held a discussion session. Various media reported that Donald Trump had promised to participate by calling in. Trump did not call in, nor did he let the organization know he was reneging on his commitment. What really happened? According to the Priests for Life website, Trump blowing them off is untrue.

Meanwhile, the position of Priests for Life regarding women who have had abortions is that they are already being punished by guilt and regret. They need support, not more punishment. Priests for Life is open to speaking to Donald Trump and all candidates about abortion.
Donald Trump and the Pro-life Movement: It's an Open Door

So, what is Donald Trump’s stance on abortion? He needs to clarify it. It appears that some in the media are building on Trump’s goof-up on that illegal abortion question. They aren’t going to just let it go. Is Trump into punishing women? Is he Pro Choice? Pro Life? Pro Whichever way the wind’s Blowing? As of this morning, his official website does not mention abortion at all. Shouldn’t he put this fire out already?

That he hasn’t, makes you wonder. Could the talk that Trump really doesn’t want to be president and this whole thing has been an ego stroking lark, possibly be true? Could it be that Trump has discovered that running for president is rather hard work, is tired of it all, and is willing to scuttle his own campaign by inaction?

If Trump does want to be president, is it possible that his self-esteem is so enormous that he really thinks he can get away with saying anything and even not saying anything and still get elected?

We may never know what motivates Donald Trump. Many of his supporters are more concerned with immigration, national defense and the economy than they are about abortion. Even so, following his embarrassing bungle on the abortion question, surely his supporters, and potential supporters, would like to know what he really believes about abortion.

Trump needs to up his game if he plans to play to the finish.

USMB is such a fucking piece of crap Liberal Board these days.

Who the fuck would promote outright lies as Op-Ed?

Fucking morons

Trump has been more than clear on his stance on abortion. He's pro-life with exceptions (life of the mother, rape, incest)
Really? In which interview and in what year?
Everywhere he's been in 2016-- MSNBC, Fox, CNN, CBS, NBC, debates, Rallies, phone in's. It's no secret unless you get your news from headlines and pundits
I've followed Donald for ages. Couldn't help it. He insists on grabbing the spotlight and mic.
If indeed Donald had a position, it is confusing how he could have messed up such a simple question about should women be punished for having an abortion. GW Bush had a position/slogan he used for years before he was elected "Uniter not a Divider' We all know how that worked out. Obama, had hope and change. Donald Trump has stumbled badly on an emotional issue for people on all sides. His positions before the question was asked are irrelevant. He said he thought there should be some punishment for women. During teh interview he was asked to clarify his statement -- and again he said yes

Trump has been more than clear on his stance on abortion. He's pro-life with exceptions (life of the mother, rape, incest)
Really? In which interview and in what year?
Everywhere he's been in 2016-- MSNBC, Fox, CNN, CBS, NBC, debates, Rallies, phone in's. It's no secret unless you get your news from headlines and pundits
I've followed Donald for ages. Couldn't help it. He insists on grabbing the spotlight and mic.
If indeed Donald had a position, it is confusing how he could have messed up such a simple question about should women be punished for having an abortion. GW Bush had a position/slogan he used for years before he was elected "Uniter not a Divider' We all know how that worked out. Obama, had hope and change. Donald Trump has stumbled badly on an emotional issue for people on all sides. His positions before the question was asked are irrelevant. He said he thought there should be some punishment for women. During teh interview he was asked to clarify his statement -- and again he said yes

He didn't mess it up, That fag Mathews asked if abortion was ILLEGAL, and he answered it as such. Anyone that breaks the law,should be prosecuted, that includes the mother KILLING her unborn child....BUT unfortunately, with the SCOTUS fucking up again, and making abortion legal while letting stand the 2004 unborn victims of violence act, which let's abortion be the only EXCEPTION to MURDER, nothing will happen until we get 5 ETHICAL and MORAL judges on the court!

It was a hypothetical Martin Eden Mercury about abortion being illegal (which he never should have answered) Rookie mistake.

He clarified those statements that same day and said the doctor or whoever did the abortion would be responsible/punished. Still, he messed up and he had to deal with it. Welcome to Politricks

It was a hypothetical Martin Eden Mercury about abortion being illegal (which he never should have answered) Rookie mistake.

He clarified those statements that same day and said the doctor or whoever did the abortion would be responsible/punished. Still, he messed up and he had to deal with it. Welcome to Politricks
Islamics,illegals and economics should be center stage. Abortion does nothing either way to effect terrorists or budget. We need to have money BEFORE we talk about how to spend money.

Trump later called it a hypothetical. There was nothing hypothetical about it. He has won most over if framing it that way, but the facts are:
Trump was asked if women should be punished for having abortions. He was not asked it in a hypothetical way.

MATTHEWS: Do you believe in punishment for abortion, yes or no as a principle?

TRUMP: The answer is that there has to be some form of punishment.

MATTHEWS: For the woman.

TRUMP: Yeah, there has to be some form.

Play the video: Donald Trump: Abortion is a very serious problem - CNN Video

Trump later called it a hypothetical. There was nothing hypothetical about it. He has won most over if framing it that way, but the facts are:
Trump was asked if women should be punished for having abortions. He was not asked it in a hypothetical way.

You need to watch the entire interview. It was a hypothetical question. Even prior to that question, Trump talks abortions going back into the "dark alleys" and "basements" if it were illegal. Context MEM. It was in fact a hypothetical and Trump wasn't the one saying that. Anyone who watched it recognized that. Took a full day for the pundits to finally add that important piece of info in there (probably on purpose) but they eventually added context.

Watch the entire UNEDITED interview and you'll see for yourself it was a hypothetical.

You need to watch the entire interview. It was a hypothetical question. Even prior to that question, Trump talks abortions going back into the "dark alleys" and "basements" if it were illegal. Context MEM. It was in fact a hypothetical and Trump wasn't the one saying that. Anyone who watched it recognized that. Took a full day for the pundits to finally add that important piece of info in there (probably on purpose) but they eventually added context.

Watch the entire UNEDITED interview and you'll see for yourself it was a hypothetical.
cereal_killer, It's a futile effort to attempt logical discussion with MEM. I pegged him right in my first evaluation of his attempts to be a profound, intelligent op ed author. He's little more than a liberal shill...and an adolescent one at that. Don't waste too much of your time trying to convince him of the truth with logic and reason.

In Context: Transcript of Donald Trump on punishing women for abortion

During the town meeting, a young woman from the audience asked Trump a question. Then Trump and Chris Matthews of MSNBC, who was moderating the event, got into a lengthy exchange that saw Trump try to turn the tables and press Matthews on how his own views jibe with teachings of the Catholic Church.

Here is the exchange and the seemingly straight-forward question that prompted it. The following text is based on a transcript and our viewing of the video. We’ll note there was quite a bit of crosstalk, making it difficult to hear some words.

QUESTION: Hello. I am (inaudible) and have a question on, what is your stance on women’s rights and their right to choose in their own reproductive health?

TRUMP: OK, well look, I mean, as you know, I’m pro-life. Right, I think you know that, and I -- with exceptions, with the three exceptions. But pretty much, that’s my stance. Is that OK? You understand?

MATTHEWS: What should the law be on abortion?

TRUMP: Well, I have been pro-life.

MATTHEWS: I know, what should the law -- I know your principle, that’s a good value. But what should be the law?

TRUMP: Well, you know, they’ve set the law and frankly the judges -- I mean, you’re going to have a very big election coming up for that reason, because you have judges where it’s a real tipping point.
Using this as an excuse to say it was ONLY a hypothetical, Bernie Sanders saying he will make College tuition free, is only a hypothetical

During the town meeting, a young woman from the audience asked Trump a question. Then Trump and Chris Matthews of MSNBC, who was moderating the event, got into a lengthy exchange that saw Trump try to turn the tables and press Matthews on how his own views jibe with teachings of the Catholic Church.

Here is the exchange and the seemingly straight-forward question that prompted it. The following text is based on a transcript and our viewing of the video. We’ll note there was quite a bit of crosstalk, making it difficult to hear some words.

QUESTION: Hello. I am (inaudible) and have a question on, what is your stance on women’s rights and their right to choose in their own reproductive health?

TRUMP: OK, well look, I mean, as you know, I’m pro-life. Right, I think you know that, and I -- with exceptions, with the three exceptions. But pretty much, that’s my stance. Is that OK? You understand?

MATTHEWS: I know, what should the law -- I know your principle, that’s a good value. But what should be the law?

TRUMP: Well, you know, they’ve set the law and frankly the judges -- I mean, you’re going to have a very big election coming up for that reason, because you have judges where it’s a real tipping point.
Using this as an excuse to say it was ONLY a hypothetical, Bernie Sanders saying he will make College tuition free, is only a hypothetical
You just don't listen well, do you. I don't have the unedited version of the interview or the transcript of the unedited interview, but Chris set up the hypothetical by supposing that abortion is made to be illegal and THEN asked Trump whether there should be punishment for breaking the law.

Well.....DUH!!! just fuckin' DUH!! If any law is broken there should be punishment! So Trump's answer was quite logically a YES.

Should the woman be punished? DOUBLE DUH! Only women have abortions! (Therein was Chris' slick trick!)

I explained this shit to you in another thread and you still don't get the picture. Why don't you take a breather and become educated before resuming posting? You're making a fool of yourself.

You just don't listen well, do you. I don't have the unedited version of the interview or the transcript of the unedited interview, but Chris set up the hypothetical by supposing that abortion is made to be illegal and THEN asked Trump whether there should be punishment for breaking the law.

Well.....DUH!!! just fuckin' DUH!! If any law is broken there should be punishment! So Trump's answer was quite logically a YES.

Should the woman be punished? DOUBLE DUH! Only women have abortions! (Therein was Chris' slick trick!)

I explained this shit to you in another thread and you still don't get the picture. Why don't you take a breather and become educated before resuming posting? You're making a fool of yourself.
"The following text is based on a transcript and our viewing of the video. We’ll note there was quite a bit of crosstalk, making it difficult to hear some words." -- If you watch the video and read along

And in all actuality, it was a woman in the audience who asked a question on abortion of Trump.

Trump said he was pro-life and then -- then MATTHEWS asked "What should the law be on abortion?" Such trickery! Partisan attacks! Image Asking somebody who thinks abortion is murder, to say what they think the laws should be.

It's almost as bad as when people ask Bernie Sanders if he thinks college should be free! Damn media!

"The following text is based on a transcript and our viewing of the video. We’ll note there was quite a bit of crosstalk, making it difficult to hear some words." -- If you watch the video and read along

And in all actuality, it was a woman in the audience who asked a question on abortion of Trump.

Trump said he was pro-life and then -- then MATTHEWS asked "What should the law be on abortion?" Such trickery! Partisan attacks! Image Asking somebody who thinks abortion is murder, to say what they think the laws should be.

It's almost as bad as when people ask Bernie Sanders if he thinks college should be free! Damn media!
Get this:

Abortion is NOT illegal at this time.

Chris said:

MATTHEWS: If you say abortion is a crime or abortion is murder, you have to deal with it under law. Should abortion be punished?

Chris knows damn well it is NOT A CRIME AT THIS TIME. He sets up a HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION to which the only logical answer is YES, THERE SHOULD BE SOME PUNISHMENT FOR BREAKING A LAW!

God, you are dense!

asaratis Wow! Trick questions

I repeat my earlier conviction....you are dense.
It is patently obvious to intelligent people here that Chris was questioning Trump on the hypothetical condition wherein abortion is made illegal.

You disingenuously left out part of the conversation.

Donald Trump advocates punishment for abortion

Listen at 1:12 where Chris qualifies his scenario with "If you say that abortion is a crime..."

(Pay careful attention here: THIS IMPLIES THAT ABORTION IS AGAINST THE LAW. A crime is something that is against the law. If something is defined as a crime, it is AGAINST THE LAW.)

Currently, abortion is NOT AGAINST THE LAW. It is legal.

It should be obvious to a glazed doughnut that Chris set the hypothetical with that "if" clause.)

You are a typical liberal. You don't hesitate at all to alter the context of conversation to mislead readers into thinking your argument has merit.

You also have the typical liberal trait of having been proved wrong in one thread, you print the same old shit in another thread. This is not the first time I have rebutted your bullshit on this topic.

Get a job.

Last edited:

SO ?

I would agree. If abortion were illegal, then women who go get one (without any good reason) SHOULD be punished for doing that. They would be taking a innocent healthy life, just to casually suit their temporary convenience.

SO ?

I would agree. If abortion were illegal, then women who go get one (without any good reason) SHOULD be punished for doing that. They would be taking a innocent healthy life, just to casually suit their temporary convenience.
Too bad that for many RW Pro-Lifers the concern for human life seems to dissipate after the chid is born and the mom has to go on welfare.

SO ?

Too bad that for many RW Pro-Lifers the concern for human life seems to dissipate after the child is born and the mom has to go on welfare.
You have the parties mixed up. It's the liberals that care only for the votes they get from welfare SINGLE MOMS who keep on having babies just to increase increase the amount of their monthly checks. Liberals perpetuate poverty in exchange for votes.

Forum List

Back