Trump's Pants on Fire claim that CNN ratings are 'way down' | PolitiFact

Your article and the Politfact statements can both be true, because compared to CNN's ratings in past years, its viewership is way up. If your article is correct, NickAtNight has always had more viewers. So what? We have a lot of kids watching tv during primetime? CNN's viewership is up.
The President makes shit up. End of story.
if both can be true, why is taking 1 side valid and the other side "making shit up"? that's what i don't get.

i found several articles today that said CNN has gone from 6th to 13th. now i'm not going to go into splitting hairs cause i just don't care at that point but i don't understand how if you take emotions out that one side is making stuff up and the other is accurate when we have valid stories for both sides at the very minimum.
Maybe you need to go back and read both articles? Because my point was that the two articles are comparing different things. Compared to past viewer counts of CNN, CNN is gaining viewership and has been for the past few years. The other article compares CNN's viewership to other channels. They aren't comparing the same things. So there's no reason to necessarily contradict either one.

CNN's ratings aren't way down compared to past years. They are improving. So the President's statement is inaccurate.
not gonna go back and read much of anything to be honest. i query on CNN RATINGS in google and headline after headline say DOWN.

CNN begins to reap what they sow as their ratings nose-dive to embarrassing levels

CNN Now Losing To Nick-At-Nite In Prime Time Ratings War

The Shows That Are Beating CNN in Primetime Ratings Spell Embarrassment for the Network

Scoreboard: Thursday, July 6

Death Spiral: Along With Its Credibility, CNN Ratings Collapse

CNN's ratings plummet to 10th in primetime

CNN's Ratings Collapse As Primetime Shows Draw Less Viewers Than Re-Runs Of "Yogi Bear" | Zero Hedge

in fact, the only one saying they're doing well on page 1 of that google search is - CNN.

go figure. the zerohedge is pretty unbiased and all i see are down arrows for CNN.

so if trump said their ratings are down and cites any of these sources, how he is lying?
The graphics box didn't copy right, so you might want to actually view it in the link. However, it is the same facts I set forth in my earlier posts. Your articles are talking about CNN's performance in comparison to other stations. Since CNN's viewership is increasing, I can assume so is everyone else's, which is fine. If Trump had said CNN is getting a lot less viewers than Fox, that would have been true, according to your articles. I'm not arguing that. Do you see, yet?

Trump’s claim that CNN’s ratings are down raises the question: compared to what?

Because his tweet made no mention of other cable news networks, we assume Trump is comparing CNN’s current ratings to past ratings.

Television experts we spoke to about how to gauge CNN’s trajectory suggested we compare CNN’s numbers from one year to the next, based on data from the second quarter (in 2017, second quarter ratings went from March 27 through June 25).

To get a comprehensive view, we were told to look at ratings across several benchmark metrics, broken down by audience demographics and viewing times.

Bottom line: CNN is at a five-year high in each of the categories we looked at, according to data provided by the Nielsen Company.

CNN

Ratings

Primetime,

Total Viewers

Primetime, 25-54

Total Day,

Total Viewers

Total Day,

25-54

2017 Q2

2016 Q2

2015 Q2

2014 Q2

2013 Q2

So when it comes to comparing CNN’s current ratings to past ratings, the verdict is clear: They’ve moved up in several major categories compared to recent years.

For its part, CNN called its second-quarter figures a "ratings milestone," with the cable news network tallying a record number of total viewers, and its best second quarter since 2003 in terms of total day viewership among 25-54-year olds.
Trump is wrong. CNN's ratings are up.

Last edited:
Your article and the Politfact statements can both be true, because compared to CNN's ratings in past years, its viewership is way up. If your article is correct, NickAtNight has always had more viewers. So what? We have a lot of kids watching tv during primetime? CNN's viewership is up.
if both can be true, why is taking 1 side valid and the other side "making shit up"? that's what i don't get.

i found several articles today that said CNN has gone from 6th to 13th. now i'm not going to go into splitting hairs cause i just don't care at that point but i don't understand how if you take emotions out that one side is making stuff up and the other is accurate when we have valid stories for both sides at the very minimum.
Maybe you need to go back and read both articles? Because my point was that the two articles are comparing different things. Compared to past viewer counts of CNN, CNN is gaining viewership and has been for the past few years. The other article compares CNN's viewership to other channels. They aren't comparing the same things. So there's no reason to necessarily contradict either one.

CNN's ratings aren't way down compared to past years. They are improving. So the President's statement is inaccurate.
not gonna go back and read much of anything to be honest. i query on CNN RATINGS in google and headline after headline say DOWN.

CNN begins to reap what they sow as their ratings nose-dive to embarrassing levels

The Shows That Are Beating CNN in Primetime Ratings Spell Embarrassment for the Network

CNN's Ratings Collapse As Primetime Shows Draw Less Viewers Than Re-Runs Of "Yogi Bear" | Zero Hedge

in fact, the only one saying they're doing well on page 1 of that google search is - CNN.

go figure. the zerohedge is pretty unbiased and all i see are down arrows for CNN.

so if trump said their ratings are down and cites any of these sources, how he is lying?
The graphics box didn't copy right, so you might want to actually view it in the link. However, it is the same facts I set forth in my earlier posts. Your articles are talking about CNN's performance in comparison to other stations. Since CNN's viewership is increasing, I can assume so is everyone else's, which is fine. If Trump had said CNN is getting a lot less viewers than Fox, that would have been true, according to your articles. I'm not arguing that. Do you see, yet?

Trump’s claim that CNN’s ratings are down raises the question: compared to what?

Because his tweet made no mention of other cable news networks, we assume Trump is comparing CNN’s current ratings to past ratings.

Television experts we spoke to about how to gauge CNN’s trajectory suggested we compare CNN’s numbers from one year to the next, based on data from the second quarter (in 2017, second quarter ratings went from March 27 through June 25).

To get a comprehensive view, we were told to look at ratings across several benchmark metrics, broken down by audience demographics and viewing times.

Bottom line: CNN is at a five-year high in each of the categories we looked at, according to data provided by the Nielsen Company.

CNN

Ratings

Primetime,

Total Viewers

Primetime, 25-54

Total Day,

Total Viewers

Total Day,

25-54

2017 Q2

2016 Q2

2015 Q2

2014 Q2

2013 Q2

So when it comes to comparing CNN’s current ratings to past ratings, the verdict is clear: They’ve moved up in several major categories compared to recent years.

For its part, CNN called its second-quarter figures a "ratings milestone," with the cable news network tallying a record number of total viewers, and its best second quarter since 2003 in terms of total day viewership among 25-54-year olds.

then nothing has changed - it depends on how you wish to view it.

when i see 80% of the threads on the first 3 pages of a google search all saying down, i tend to run with it. when i see 10+ sites saying this to only CNN contradicting on the first page anyway, i tend to wonder what's up. when i see zerohedge say down, i tend to believe it. now if we can find 5 ways where they're at all times highs, great. but that doesn't diminish the ways they are not doing so well.

or are all these other outlets trying to take down CNN with a "festival of lies"?

CNN

Ratings

Primetime,

Total Viewers

Primetime, 25-54

Total Day,

Total Viewers

Total Day,

25-54

2017 Q2

2016 Q2

2015 Q2

2014 Q2

2013 Q2

when i see 80% of the threads on the first 3 pages of a google search all saying down, i tend to run with it. when i see 10+ sites saying this to only CNN contradicting on the first page anyway, i tend to wonder what's up. when i see zerohedge say down, i tend to believe it. now if we can find 5 ways where they're at all times highs, great. but that doesn't diminish the ways they are not doing so well.

or are all these other outlets trying to take down CNN with a "festival of lies"?
I'm not arguing with you. I don't know who you're arguing with.

CNN

Ratings

Primetime,

Total Viewers

Primetime, 25-54

Total Day,

Total Viewers

Total Day,

25-54

2017 Q2

2016 Q2

2015 Q2

2014 Q2

2013 Q2

aw hell. i'm still trying to figure out what "the lie" is. if ratings are down, enough people are saying it in the media to give him cred for saying it - i would think.

the saddest part of all this is long before trump we were headed down this road of not being able to trust the media. with trump being elected, CNN and a few others have lost all pretenses of objectivity and as a "journalist" at heart, i hate that.

you can only sell your credibility. you can't ever buy it back. to me CNN is toast as they've made "news" personal.

CNN

Ratings

Primetime,

Total Viewers

Primetime, 25-54

Total Day,

Total Viewers

Total Day,

25-54

2017 Q2

2016 Q2

2015 Q2

2014 Q2

2013 Q2

aw hell. i'm still trying to figure out what "the lie" is. if ratings are down, enough people are saying it in the media to give him cred for saying it - i would think.

the saddest part of all this is long before trump we were headed down this road of not being able to trust the media. with trump being elected, CNN and a few others have lost all pretenses of objectivity and as a "journalist" at heart, i hate that.

you can only sell your credibility. you can't ever buy it back. to me CNN is toast as they've made "news" personal.
I stopped getting CNN and Fox a few months ago. I don't miss them. Both are very biased. That said, their bias is 99% of the time deciding what to cover in depth and the opinions of the commentators they invite onto the shows. If you listen for the facts, CNN reports them. They simply don't emphasize what they don't "like." Fox is very, very much guilty of the same thing, btw.
If CNN is on its way out, that's fine by me. I have no skin in this game. The fact that so many read this as some kind of "victory" for the right is pathetic, imo. But remember, their viewership is up. That's not a lie, either.

Trump is the best thing to happen for CNNs ratings

CNN

Ratings

Primetime,

Total Viewers

Primetime, 25-54

Total Day,

Total Viewers

Total Day,

25-54

2017 Q2

2016 Q2

2015 Q2

2014 Q2

2013 Q2

I stopped getting CNN and Fox a few months ago. I don't miss them. Both are very biased. That said, their bias is 99% of the time deciding what to cover in depth and the opinions of the commentators they invite onto the shows. If you listen for the facts, CNN reports them. They simply don't emphasize what they don't "like." Fox is very, very much guilty of the same thing, btw.
If CNN is on its way out, that's fine by me. I have no skin in this game. The fact that so many read this as some kind of "victory" for the right is pathetic, imo. But remember, their viewership is up. That's not a lie, either.
i don't view it as a victory for either side. i view it as massively pathetic our overall media is like this and getting worse. when i watch CNN it's more like watching Mystery Science News because much like the old tv show commenting on the movie, CNN anchors comment the hell out of the story. they "see" something and then tell me what we have all seen even though that part has not been determined or questioned to ensure it's correct.

i hate most opinion talk shows cause it's just "bring on the biggest idiot for a given side and we'll pretend this is "normal" for that side. tucker is HORRIBLE at this. CNN is HORRIBLE at seeing a video and telling me how to feel about it. if fox also does it i don't notice cause i don't watch fox much. the only reason i watch CNN is where i eat lunch they have it on.

looks like from what i can tell - and i'm pretty much done putting "math" to this -

rankings for CNN are down while viewers are up. just means, it would seem, while more and more are watching news channels, CNN didn't pick up as many as others, so their "ranking" falls even with viewership up.

CNN

Ratings

Primetime,

Total Viewers

Primetime, 25-54

Total Day,

Total Viewers

Total Day,

25-54

2017 Q2

2016 Q2

2015 Q2

2014 Q2

2013 Q2

i don't view it as a victory for either side. i view it as massively pathetic our overall media is like this and getting worse. when i watch CNN it's more like watching Mystery Science News because much like the old tv show commenting on the movie, CNN anchors comment the hell out of the story. they "see" something and then tell me what we have all seen even though that part has not been determined or questioned to ensure it's correct.

i hate most opinion talk shows cause it's just "bring on the biggest idiot for a given side and we'll pretend this is "normal" for that side. tucker is HORRIBLE at this. CNN is HORRIBLE at seeing a video and telling me how to feel about it. if fox also does it i don't notice cause i don't watch fox much. the only reason i watch CNN is where i eat lunch they have it on.

looks like from what i can tell - and i'm pretty much done putting "math" to this -

rankings for CNN are down while viewers are up. just means, it would seem, while more and more are watching news channels, CNN didn't pick up as many as others, so their "ranking" falls even with viewership up.
I KNEW you'd figure out my point eventually. Thank you.

I KNEW you'd figure out my point eventually. Thank you.
:)

however, this doesn't make trump a liar. it doesn't tell the whole story but that's news today. tell what helps your side, hurts the other and hide the rest.

sad state for us all to be in.

The most embarrassing thing is not just to be proven wrong, but to be proven to have said the exact opposite of the truth. In short, Donald Trump said that CNN's ratings are "way down" lately," when in fact they are "way up", according to the independent fact-checking website Politifact.com:

tom-pantsonfire.gif

man alive - people are reaching in this storm for any salvation they can.

CNN's ratings plummet
Chuck Ross reports that CNN fell this week to #13 in the cable TV rankings. He cites weekly numbers posted on Thursday by TV Newser.

It wasn’t just CNN’s news competitors that beat the network out. According to The Federalist, more Americans tuned in to watch re-runs of “Yogi Bear,” “Full House,” and “Friends” on Nick At Nite than to watch Anderson Cooper and Don Lemon’s shows on CNN.

CNN has fallen from sixth to thirteenth in the ratings over the past month, which shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. The network has had a terrible time lately.

While Fox News and MSNBC continue to dominate cable news ratings, CNN last week dropped to 13th in the overall cable ratings competition, according to TVNewser. The ratings were average primetime ratings captured between June 26 and July 2.

Fox News dominated with an average of more than 1.8 million viewers, while MSNBC trailed with 1.34 million viewers. CNN, on the other hand, only averaged a mere 711,000 viewers.

that's enough.

but i will repeat this one little fact:

FOX NEWS - 1.8 million views.
CNN - 711,000

from 6th to 13th.

that is in fact DOWN, son. put your panties away.

leftards dont see it that way

they believe in winning by losing

you see it all the time

after they lose an election (which is pretty common these days 1034 seats since 2010) --LOL

they claim that is a success for the leftists --LOL

moving from 6 to 13th not only is a bigger number

but further down the winning by losing list

--LOL

"Winning by losing".

Maybe this will be the slogan of the next democratic leader.

I just did a Google search myself and found different results. Some were similar (like The Blaze, Federalist, and Daily Wire), but there were non-CNN stories that contradicted you (Politifact, Variety, Adweek) that never appeared on your list. Weird.

But how can we tell if one story is better than any other? Let's check some sources!

Politifact lists Nielsen ratings, a senior television reporter, a political science professor, director of a Syracuse University television center, CNN's press release (which is sourced by Nielsen ratings), and WaPo. That's 5 sources (since CNN's press release is really rehashing Nielsen data).

The Blaze? One source: A Scribd document showing one week of ratings.

The Federalist? The same Scribd doc.

Free Beacon? Same.

TV Newser? A TV Newser document, but just for one day: July 6.

Daily Wire? The same TV Newser document and another saying Rachel Maddow beat CNN in Q2 2017.

One News Now? The Federalist story based on that one Scribd doc.

Zerohedge? The same tired old Scribd document. But this includes a chart showing a downward trend in ratings — but only over 7 days for only one demographic.

Because your sources are suspect at best, utter bullshit at worst. (And no, Zero Hedge is *not* anywhere near unbiased.) They're based mostly on one source, and in many cases, on just one week of ratings. Even the CNN press release has stronger data than any of the ones you listed above.

I just did a Google search myself and found different results. Some were similar (like The Blaze, Federalist, and Daily Wire), but there were non-CNN stories that contradicted you (Politifact, Variety, Adweek) that never appeared on your list. Weird.

But how can we tell if one story is better than any other? Let's check some sources!

Politifact lists Nielsen ratings, a senior television reporter, a political science professor, director of a Syracuse University television center, CNN's press release (which is sourced by Nielsen ratings), and WaPo. That's 5 sources (since CNN's press release is really rehashing Nielsen data).

Free Beacon? Same.

Daily Wire? The same TV Newser document and another saying Rachel Maddow beat CNN in Q2 2017.

Zerohedge? The same tired old Scribd document. But this includes a chart showing a downward trend in ratings — but only over 7 days for only one demographic.

Because your sources are suspect at best, utter bullshit at worst. (And no, Zero Hedge is *not* anywhere near unbiased.) They're based mostly on one source, and in many cases, on just one week of ratings. Even the CNN press release has stronger data than any of the ones you listed above.
keep up son. oldlady and i have already talked about the differences we were seeing in the #'s.

you wanna prance around in some jacked up victory dance, have fun but leave me out.

Free Beacon? Same.

keep up son. oldlady and i have already talked about the differences we were seeing in the #'s.

you wanna prance around in some jacked up victory dance, have fun but leave me out.
Your last word from that exchange:

however, this doesn't make trump a liar. it doesn't tell the whole story but that's news today. tell what helps your side, hurts the other and hide the rest.

You act like there's still a question about the ratings. It's only "how you wish to view it" if you are looking at bullshit. It's not even a "festival of lies" as you put it. It's simply entertainment. At least in this case, the sites you linked to are bullshit. They say what you want to hear, and then you act like this proves there's something wrong with the Politifact ruling.

You need to take another gaslighting class, as you're not doing it right. :)

aw hell. i'm still trying to figure out what "the lie" is.
It's not hard to suss out. Trump said "Ratings way down!" They are not. Therefore, Trump lied. You can spin this so your Trump underoos don't get skid marks by calling the lie a misunderstanding or not intentional truth, but it's still a lie. He wanted to bash CNN (as he often does to any media not always friendly to him) so he lied about the ratings to make it look like CNN is failing.

Man, this ain't hard.

Free Beacon? Same.

You act like there's still a question about the ratings. It's only "how you wish to view it" if you are looking at bullshit. It's not even a "festival of lies" as you put it. It's simply entertainment. At least in this case, the sites you linked to are bullshit. They say what you want to hear, and then you act like this proves there's something wrong with the Politifact ruling.

It's not hard to suss out. Trump said "Ratings way down!" They are not. Therefore, Trump lied. You can spin this so your Trump underoos don't get skid marks by calling the lie a misunderstanding or not intentional truth, but it's still a lie. He wanted to bash CNN (as he often does to any media not always friendly to him) so he lied about the ratings to make it look like CNN is failing.

Man, this ain't hard.
Thanks. Thanks. Thanks.

The most embarrassing thing is not just to be proven wrong, but to be proven to have said the exact opposite of the truth. In short, Donald Trump said that CNN's ratings are "way down" lately," when in fact they are "way up", according to the independent fact-checking website Politifact.com:

tom-pantsonfire.gif

man alive - people are reaching in this storm for any salvation they can.

CNN's ratings plummet
Chuck Ross reports that CNN fell this week to #13 in the cable TV rankings. He cites weekly numbers posted on Thursday by TV Newser.

It wasn’t just CNN’s news competitors that beat the network out. According to The Federalist, more Americans tuned in to watch re-runs of “Yogi Bear,” “Full House,” and “Friends” on Nick At Nite than to watch Anderson Cooper and Don Lemon’s shows on CNN.

CNN has fallen from sixth to thirteenth in the ratings over the past month, which shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. The network has had a terrible time lately.

While Fox News and MSNBC continue to dominate cable news ratings, CNN last week dropped to 13th in the overall cable ratings competition, according to TVNewser. The ratings were average primetime ratings captured between June 26 and July 2.

Fox News dominated with an average of more than 1.8 million viewers, while MSNBC trailed with 1.34 million viewers. CNN, on the other hand, only averaged a mere 711,000 viewers.

that's enough.

but i will repeat this one little fact:

FOX NEWS - 1.8 million views.
CNN - 711,000

from 6th to 13th.

that is in fact DOWN, son. put your panties away.

leftards dont see it that way

they believe in winning by losing

you see it all the time

after they lose an election (which is pretty common these days 1034 seats since 2010) --LOL

they claim that is a success for the leftists --LOL

moving from 6 to 13th not only is a bigger number

but further down the winning by losing list

--LOL

"Winning by losing".

Maybe this will be the slogan of the next democratic leader.

so far their slogan is

I Mean, Have You Seen the Other Guys?

what a bunch of tards

--LOL

--LOL

real inspiring

--LOL

DD_fW2eXsAAFIqP.jpg

well actually yes i have

they are doing much better then the you

--LOL

Trump lies about everything. It is proof of his mental illness. He can not be honest. He must lie all the time to satisfy his illness. He must feel that he is getting over on everyone all the time. That is his identity.
Obama lied about where he was conceived. Yes Obama couldn't tell the truth no matter what. Next question? Oh and Nickelodeon's ratings are better than CNN 's.
On behalf of the International Liberal Conspiracy, I'd like to personally thank you for 1) trying to change the subject and 2) avoiding anything resembling a counter-argument to the OP's post. It warms my bleeding heart to see you fail.

Unfortunately, Trump diehards don't care if he lies or not. I've found a few typical responses when you show how Trump has literally lied about something:
1) Bring up Obama or Hillary. ("Obama was born in Kenya, so how about that lie?")
2) Outright denial. ("Trump is actually the most honest politician we've had in our lifetime!")
3) Change the subject. ("You want to talk about lying? How about Seth Rich or Vince Foster???")
4) Claim media bias. ("ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, USA TODAY, NY Times, Wash Post, Chicago Tribute, Miami Herald, Forbes, and Wall Street Journal are all liberal and print lies about Trump!")

I think it's important to keep track of Trump's lies because there are plenty of folks either unsure about Trump or starting to regret their vote. But for most Trump fans, lying doesn't matter. What does matter? Winning. Politics is just a game to these people, and all they want to do is win elections.
He is keeping his campaign promises, better than others.

Free Beacon? Same.

Man, this ain't hard.
did their rank drop?

yes. / no

and we will go from there.

was it a stupid thing to say? yes. but the entire situation is bullshit.

you also think i care. nope.not into the sideshow bob on either side.

tom-pantsonfire.gif
Politifacts is not independent but ran by reporters and editors of the Tampa Bay Times

this why cnn is not taken seriously

and the ratings have gone through the floor

"What if North Korea is not crazy?" -Fareed Zakaria

Look at the world from North Korea’s perspective. The regime saw the collapse of the Soviet empire and an even more unsettling transformation in China, which went from being a fiery ideological soul mate to a pragmatic trading state that has eagerly integrated into world markets. These days, Beijing seems to view Pyongyang as a nuisance, and China now oftenvotes to condemn and place sanctions against North Korea at the United Nations.

And the world’s most powerful country has made clear that North Korea is destined for the ash heap of history. After 9/11, when the United States was attacked by Islamist terrorists emanating from the Middle East, President George W. Bush announced that the United States would no longer tolerate an “axis of evil” comprising Iraq, Iran — and North Korea. It invaded Iraq. Current U.S. policy toward Iran, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson recently said, is to “work toward support of those elements inside of Iran that would lead to a peaceful transition of that government.” And regarding North Korea, President Trump wants China to “end this nonsense once and for all,” which again can only mean getting rid of the Kim government in some way.

So, the North Korean regime has tried to buy insurance. And in the realm of international affairs, the best insurance is having a nuclear capacity. Pyongyang knows that it has a large-enough army and the Korean theater of war is so small and dense that a conventional war would be unthinkable, producing hundreds of thousands of casualties and millions of refugees pouring into China and South Korea. North Korea has accurately calculated that China and South Korea are more terrified of the chaos that would follow its collapse than of its nuclear arsenal.

Perhaps the right way to look at North Korea is as a smart, rational, calculating government that is functioning shrewdly given its priority of regime survival. More pressure only strengthens its resolve to buy even more insurance. How to handle it under these circumstances?”

Opinion | We think North Korea is crazy. What if we’re wrong?

what a dip shit

Forum List

Back