Trump Voters Driven by Fear of Losing Status, Not Economic Anxiety, Study Finds

I found this to affirm my personal observations....A lot of Trump voters feel that they are being replaced and disenfranchised in America--after all, isn't that what MAGA really means?

Many believe it is/was about economics--This article makes the case that it's about social displacement and a fear of being moved from the top of the pecking order:

"Ever since Donald J. Trump began his improbable political rise, many pundits have credited his appeal among white, Christian and male voters to “economic anxiety.” Hobbled by unemployment and locked out of the recovery, those voters turned out in force to send Mr. Trump, and a message, to Washington.

Or so that narrative goes.

A study published on Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences questions that explanation, the latest to suggest that Trump voters weren’t driven by anger over the past, but rather fear of what may come. White, Christian and male voters, the study suggests, turned to Mr. Trump because they felt their status was at risk.

“It’s much more of a symbolic threat that people feel,’’ said Diana C. Mutz, the author of the study and a political science and communications professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where she directs the Institute for the Study of Citizens and Politics. “It’s not a threat to their own economic well-being; it’s a threat to their group’s dominance in our country over all.”"

Her survey also assessed “social dominance orientation,” a common psychological measure of a person’s belief in hierarchy as necessary and inherent to a society. People who exhibited a growing belief in such group dominance were also more likely to move toward Mr. Trump, Dr. Mutz found, reflecting their hope that the status quo be protected.

“It used to be a pretty good deal to be a white, Christian male in America, but things have changed and I think they do feel threatened,” Dr. Mutz said.

The other surveys supported the cultural anxiety explanation, too.

For example, Trump support was linked to a belief that high-status groups, such as whites, Christians or men, faced more discrimination than low-status groups, like minorities, Muslims or women, according to Dr. Mutz’s analysis of the University of Chicago study.

Traditionally the Democratic Party has been based on class hatred, religious bigotry and racial politics.
The Democrats regard mainstream middle class Americans as their enemy.
Hillary really exposed this fact with her comment about "deplorable" voters.
The Democrat Politicians are despicable demagogues and they exploit the dumb Democrat Voter hatred.
I'm not a Hillary fan...and would have never voted for her...But it is clear that your attempt to conflate 'mainstream middle class Americans' with her deplorable comment is a fail.
It was clear that she meant low-information, racist, 'trailor-trash' people--who are NOT middle-class America by any stretch of imagination.

As far as your comment on 'racial politics'---I got quite the laugh. Trump's campaign was a masterful illustration of racial politics...and many fell for it--Hell, many had been waiting for something like it for a long time!

GOP gained ground in middle-class communities in 2016

“It was clear that she meant low-information, racist, 'trailor-trash' people--who are NOT middle-class America by any stretch of imagination.”

I can remember when the Democrats thought that these same working class Americans were noble and salt of the earth. Guess what, people will not vote for candidates who hate them.
Again, you seem unable to make the distinction between who Hillary meant when she made that remark..and the spin that the Republicans put on it. Has the spin became the truth? Or..have you always believed this was what. and who, she meant?

I think we all know who she meant:

iu

I found this to affirm my personal observations....A lot of Trump voters feel that they are being replaced and disenfranchised in America--after all, isn't that what MAGA really means?

Many believe it is/was about economics--This article makes the case that it's about social displacement and a fear of being moved from the top of the pecking order:

"Ever since Donald J. Trump began his improbable political rise, many pundits have credited his appeal among white, Christian and male voters to “economic anxiety.” Hobbled by unemployment and locked out of the recovery, those voters turned out in force to send Mr. Trump, and a message, to Washington.

A study published on Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences questions that explanation, the latest to suggest that Trump voters weren’t driven by anger over the past, but rather fear of what may come. White, Christian and male voters, the study suggests, turned to Mr. Trump because they felt their status was at risk.

“It’s much more of a symbolic threat that people feel,’’ said Diana C. Mutz, the author of the study and a political science and communications professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where she directs the Institute for the Study of Citizens and Politics. “It’s not a threat to their own economic well-being; it’s a threat to their group’s dominance in our country over all.”"

Her survey also assessed “social dominance orientation,” a common psychological measure of a person’s belief in hierarchy as necessary and inherent to a society. People who exhibited a growing belief in such group dominance were also more likely to move toward Mr. Trump, Dr. Mutz found, reflecting their hope that the status quo be protected.

“It used to be a pretty good deal to be a white, Christian male in America, but things have changed and I think they do feel threatened,” Dr. Mutz said.

For example, Trump support was linked to a belief that high-status groups, such as whites, Christians or men, faced more discrimination than low-status groups, like minorities, Muslims or women, according to Dr. Mutz’s analysis of the University of Chicago study.

Traditionally the Democratic Party has been based on class hatred, religious bigotry and racial politics.
The Democrats regard mainstream middle class Americans as their enemy.
Hillary really exposed this fact with her comment about "deplorable" voters.
The Democrat Politicians are despicable demagogues and they exploit the dumb Democrat Voter hatred.
I'm not a Hillary fan...and would have never voted for her...But it is clear that your attempt to conflate 'mainstream middle class Americans' with her deplorable comment is a fail.
It was clear that she meant low-information, racist, 'trailor-trash' people--who are NOT middle-class America by any stretch of imagination.

As far as your comment on 'racial politics'---I got quite the laugh. Trump's campaign was a masterful illustration of racial politics...and many fell for it--Hell, many had been waiting for something like it for a long time!

“It was clear that she meant low-information, racist, 'trailor-trash' people--who are NOT middle-class America by any stretch of imagination.”

I can remember when the Democrats thought that these same working class Americans were noble and salt of the earth. Guess what, people will not vote for candidates who hate them.
Again, you seem unable to make the distinction between who Hillary meant when she made that remark..and the spin that the Republicans put on it. Has the spin became the truth? Or..have you always believed this was what. and who, she meant?

I think we all know who she meant:

iu

Guess that you didn't read the link, or understand that Hillary insulted millions of Voters and it backfired big time.
Guess what, people will not vote for candidates who hate them.

Nice opinion piece that fits your narrative, lol. You know what they say about opinions, don't you, lolol.......phony baloney-)

Nice opinion piece that fits your narrative, lol. You know what they say about opinions, don't you, lolol.......phony baloney-)
Sure sure..inasmuch as I have a narrative...this fits.

But for sure...opinions are worth what you pay for them..if you're lucky.

Sure sure..inasmuch as I have a narrative...this fits.

But for sure...opinions are worth what you pay for them..if you're lucky.

So then you must subscribe to their newsfeed, lol. Good deal

Snowflake propaganda. It's not science. It's VooDoo.

This is nothing new, of course.

For well over 100 years conservatives have been frightened by immigration, change, diversity, and an inclusive society.

In other words, Trump supporters are whiny little bitches.

First of all, Shlomo, that's what EVERYBODY is afraid of, and, second of all, yeah, just like you yids are afraid of losing Israel to the Palestinians out-fucking you.
Easy to say when you know it ain't going to happen, and, in fact, Israel moving the opposite direction. And more power to them. Just would be a gesture of human decency if they extended the same right to everyone (anyone) else.

So where the fuck did this insane hatred of whites and Christians come from?
Huh! I don't see any 'insane hatred' so I guess one of us is deluded. But...just to speculate...if my family had been on the bottom in this country..for 200 years...I can see some resentment and, yes, even hatred..of the class that I thought was responsible. I'm not saying it should be that way..but human nature being what it is.....

Christians?? I don't see any hate at all...in my little world, religious choice is personal....and unchallenged.

I think that many on the extreme Right have an investment in being seen as victims--especially some of the young White males. I also see a lot of identity politics from both sides--and many weak-minded people..of both sides...buy into them.
":Christians?? I don't see any hate at all...in my little world, religious choice is personal....and unchallenged."

Among the many reasons to hate you, Shlomo, is, I think, you sheer dishonesty.

Two great men, Luther and Hitler, both dealt with extensively.
LoL...perhaps you are wrong...and I'm right? Bigotry is a choice...I've seldom succumbed to it..and was always ashamed when I did. In a real world setting..I've seldom seen Americans challenge a person's religious choice--Those that do--are usually so lost..that all they really need is someone to talk them through their idiocy..and examine the core values that make up a good human being.

Good Christians are inclusive..bad ones exclusive.
"Jew" isn't a religion. It is a race. Judaism is a religion. Primitive, yes, but a bona fide religion.

Trumptootians have been losing status ever since the day after Filthy Donald's elections.

Wait, people didn't know this already? Lol.

The Trump/MAGA movement is roughly 75% about rural white peoples' fear and resentment. And I don't blame them, to be honest; human beings are both vindictive and irrational. We are truly a disgusting, filthy species, and I fully expect violent retribution against whites in the future, both internationally and at home. Whether they are guilty of anything or not.

Wait, people didn't know this already? Lol.

The Trump/MAGA movement is roughly 75% about rural white peoples' fear and resentment. And I don't blame them, to be honest; human beings are both vindictive and irrational. We are truly a disgusting, filthy species, and I fully expect violent retribution against whites in the future, both internationally and at home. Whether they are guilty of anything or not.
Let’s try again. Which of Trumps policies to make America great again do you disagree with and why?

Which points out that most of conservative angst is about the emotions about their dwindling status. They are scared of change where they don't get to tell other races and groups what to do. Check on the number of cities, states and counties that get a majority of cons in control, they set about installing 'In God We Trust' in their city halls or on monuments wherever they can get away with it.

Nothing wrong with them trusting in god, it is the forcing of their religion on the rest of the population in these areas. But they don't give a shit, they want dominance over other groups. It makes them feel good about themselves.

Forum List

Back