Trump Says He Wants To Punish Flag Burning With A Year In Prison

When you are down in the polls, didn't sell out your first rally in a deep red state... and also feel like you gotta prove to people you can drink water with one hand -- some times you need something to cheer you up...and what better way to do that than to bring up the tired old flag burning debate again?

"We ought to come up with legislation that if you burn the American flag, you go to jail for one year. One year,” Trump said, claiming that he’s “a big believer in freedom of speech,” but calling flag burning “desecration -- earlier this month Trump asked the Supreme Court to reconsider its Texas v. Johnson ruling, saying “We have a different court and I think that it's time that we review that again. Because when I see flags being burned — they wanted to crawl up flag poles in Washington and try and burn flags but we stopped them."

I wonder what does he think one should get for burning the Confederate flag...the death penalty??
View attachment 354056

People have received as many as 16 years for burning the Homosexual Flag. Why is 1 year for burning a straight flag so beyond the pale?

Would you wish the same when someone burned the Pride Flag or the Stars and Bars Flag?

Absolutely.

Wouldn't you?

This flag burning shit is intended to provoke.
It's simply inciting to riot.

But if that's what you want, try setting fire to your Pride Flag while it's flying from your porch. Show a little sincerity, man (or whatever)

Would you wish the same when someone burned the Pride Flag or the Stars and Bars Flag?

Absolutely.

Wouldn't you?

This flag burning shit is intended to provoke.
It's simply inciting to riot.

But if that's what you want, try setting fire to your Pride Flag while it's flying from your porch. Show a little sincerity, man (or whatever)

I don't own a Homosexual Flag.

I do own a Normative Flag

Settled hash. I do believe the SCOTUS already filed on flag burning.

On June 21, 1989, a deeply divided United States Supreme Court upheld the rights of protesters to burn the American flag in a landmark First Amendment decision. I can't copy the link. New phone, but copy and past article and search and it will take you right there.

In the controversial Texas v. Johnson case, the Court voted 5-4 in favor of Gregory Lee Johnson, the protester who had burned the flag. Johnson’s actions, the majority argued, were symbolic speech, political in nature, and could be expressed even at the expense of our national symbol and to the affront of those who disagreed with him.

Justice William Brennan wrote the majority decision, with Justices Anthony Kennedy, Thurgood Marshall, Harry Blackmun and Antonin Scalia joining the majority. “Johnson was convicted for engaging in expressive conduct. The State’s interest in preventing breaches of the peace does not support his conviction because Johnson’s conduct did not threaten to disturb the peace,” said Brennan. “Nor does the State’s interest in preserving the flag as a symbol of nationhood and national unity justify his criminal conviction for engaging in political expression
Yea, he wants the SC to reconsider that decision...because Murica!!

This is what I do t like about Trump. He knows it will never happen. It's just like his wall, and immegration reform. He knew he would never do anything to raise water for the under $100 thousand a year workers, and there was never going to be a wall. This flag this g was nothing but red meat for the base.
!
Don't look now but the wall is going up.

On June 21, 1989, a deeply divided United States Supreme Court upheld the rights of protesters to burn the American flag in a landmark First Amendment decision. I can't copy the link. New phone, but copy and past article and search and it will take you right there.

In the controversial Texas v. Johnson case, the Court voted 5-4 in favor of Gregory Lee Johnson, the protester who had burned the flag. Johnson’s actions, the majority argued, were symbolic speech, political in nature, and could be expressed even at the expense of our national symbol and to the affront of those who disagreed with him.

Justice William Brennan wrote the majority decision, with Justices Anthony Kennedy, Thurgood Marshall, Harry Blackmun and Antonin Scalia joining the majority. “Johnson was convicted for engaging in expressive conduct. The State’s interest in preventing breaches of the peace does not support his conviction because Johnson’s conduct did not threaten to disturb the peace,” said Brennan. “Nor does the State’s interest in preserving the flag as a symbol of nationhood and national unity justify his criminal conviction for engaging in political expression

This is what I do t like about Trump. He knows it will never happen. It's just like his wall, and immegration reform. He knew he would never do anything to raise water for the under $100 thousand a year workers, and there was never going to be a wall. This flag this g was nothing but red meat for the base.
!

Yeah it's a mighty wall. Yes sure..

!
Yep, 200 miles completed.

Defacing a monument to a veteran is a ten year sentence. Start identifying and prosecuting. Oh that includes Confederate veterans.

!

Those are jobs that are 100, and above. It does nothing for the lake who work on production floors is or in the plants making gas that drives the economy. Not impressed. Trump has only made gestures and platitudes on illegal immegration. He still has yet to show anything real.
Lol, only in your imagination.
Refute what Crixus said

You know this is another feckless attempt by Trump to throw red meat to his base over a dead issue -- but since it is impossible for sycophants like you to tell the truth about your cult leader -- you instead purposely look stupid....but saying you are looking stupid on purpose may be too generous on my part....
Talking about dead issues, how about those murdered blacks by blacks the city of Chicago. Bet that makes you want to go out and burn the flag right?

Trump is burning the Constitution

The Constitution is about equal rights for Homosexuals and Normative people.

Some character got 16 years for burning a gay flag- why shouldn't someone get the same for burning the Straight Flag?
The Constitution is about equal protection under the law.

Trump needs to read it some time, if he knows how to read

Constitution?
We don't need no steenking constitution.

And MAGAt really really hates himself some First Amendment. Sadly, the right doesn't want it either and will not fight for First Amendment rights. They need to be careful what they wish for.

When you are down in the polls, didn't sell out your first rally in a deep red state... and also feel like you gotta prove to people you can drink water with one hand -- some times you need something to cheer you up...and what better way to do that than to bring up the tired old flag burning debate again?

"We ought to come up with legislation that if you burn the American flag, you go to jail for one year. One year,” Trump said, claiming that he’s “a big believer in freedom of speech,” but calling flag burning “desecration -- earlier this month Trump asked the Supreme Court to reconsider its Texas v. Johnson ruling, saying “We have a different court and I think that it's time that we review that again. Because when I see flags being burned — they wanted to crawl up flag poles in Washington and try and burn flags but we stopped them."

I wonder what does he think one should get for burning the Confederate flag...the death penalty??
View attachment 354056
I like the idea that if you want to burn your flag, go pay the costs for that flag and burn it, it is your waste of money. Now if you are a welfare puke and buy a flag with my money then i get to kick your fucking ass for wasting my money and you dont get anymore of my money. If i am flying my flag and you dare try to burn, my flag, then i get to spend about $1.00 worth of ammo and put you six feet under, and i will bury you with my flag.. That is fair...
You sound like you’ll be heading to prison very soon

Forum List

Back