Trump Prosecutions Backfiring?

Regardless of his guilt or innocence, how do you think it will play out politically? Do you think his supporters will reconsider? Do you think some independents might see the situation as political persecution and shift support to Trump for that reason?

He is the single most beloved person in the United States of America.

I don't really buy into the cult characterization. It's too easy and misses the point. The reason Trump supporters seem to support him despite his offensive persona isn't because they worship him. It's because he "fights back" against Democrats. They hate Democrats and as long as Trump is flipping them the bird, the details won't matter.

You aren't wrong

I don't think it is 'baked' into our elections. I thin it is baked into our nature. A very different think. Ranked choice voting will do literally nothing to change that or its use in elections. it just gives the voters and the officials more information about where they are politically and real information on how close a third party might be to actually reflecting the voters intent.

We need a different concept to deal with the nature and effectiveness of fear mongering in elections. I am not sure what that would look like to be honest but a simple change in how we cast ballots does not address that.
It does though - more than you might imagine. RCV includes a strong incentive for candidates to avoid alienating voters outside their base because second place votes matter. In a contest between two evenly matched candidates, the less offensive of the two will win. They'll win because they'll get more second place votes than a divisive candidate, who people will be more likely to rank dead last, rather than risk giving them their vote. ie a candidate who demonizes an opponent will be less likely to get second place votes from the opponent's supporters and less likely to win.

It won't change the zeitgeist of the nation overnight, but it's a step in the right direction. And I'm not seeing many of those steps on the horizon.

Last edited:
That's twice. Are you trying to get your ten punches on your cult card? Do you get a free vial of orange sweat, or something?
Haha. Ok champ. I get it anyone who doesn’t slurp the Dem cock like you must be a Trump cultist. Im sure it helps you justify being a drone.

It does though - more than you might imagine. RCV includes a strong incentive for candidates to avoid alienating voters outside their base because second place votes matter. In a contest between two evenly matched candidates, the less offensive of the two will win. They'll win because they'll get more second place votes than a divisive candidate, who people will be more likely to rank dead last, rather than risk giving them their vote. ie a candidate who demonizes an opponent will be less likely to get second place votes from the opponent's supporters and less likely to win.
Valid and interesting point. I may have to think about that a bit more as your example would have held true in the republican primaries in 2016.

Not that you have to sell me on RCV, I think it is obviously superior in every way to what we do atm.
It won't change the zeitgeist of the nation overnight, but it's a step in the right direction. And I'm not seeing many of those steps on the horizon.
Again, cant argue here. It would be really, really, really nice to see us take even a single step in the right direction with our political process. Just one.

Valid and interesting point. I may have to think about that a bit more as your example would have held true in the republican primaries in 2016.

Not that you have to sell me on RCV, I think it is obviously superior in every way to what we do atm.

Again, cant argue here. It would be really, really, really nice to see us take even a single step in the right direction with our political process. Just one.

2016, where a non establishment person won the Presidency, and was wildly successful was a huge positive step.

Oh course the establishments didn't think so.

2016, where a non establishment person won the Presidency, and was wildly successful was a huge positive step.
History will record what a colossal failure that was the Trump Presidency and how the civilized world breathed a collective sigh of relief, when Biden won. Historians will write history, not the Trump cult.

Lesser-of-two-evils is the hack that breaks democracy. It's the reason we're stuck with two corrupt, senile candidates. Short of a miracle happening, and voters learning to say "NO!", RCV is the only fix I see.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back