Trump Pardons Hammond's

eagle1462010

Diamond Member
May 17, 2013
Trump has pardoned the Hammond's ...............And it's long past time. The BLM was out of control driving the cattle ranchers out of business.

Welcome home Hammond's................And thanks President Trump.
Trump pardons Oregon ranchers whose case sparked Bundy takeover of refuge

President Donald Trump on Tuesday pardoned two eastern Oregon ranchers serving time in federal prison for setting fire to public land in a case that inflamed their supporters and gave rise to the armed takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

Dwight Hammond Jr., 76, and son Steven Hammond, 49, walked out of a federal prison in California about 6 1/2 hours later. They were convicted in 2012 of arson on Harney County land where they had grazing rights for their cattle. They were ordered back to prison in early 2016 to serve out five-year sentences.

"The Hammonds are devoted family men, respected contributors to their local community and have widespread support from their neighbors, local law enforcement and farmers and ranchers across the West,'' the White House said in a statement. "Justice is overdue for Dwight and Steven Hammond, both of whom are entirely deserving of these Grants of Executive Clemency.''

Susie Hammond, Dwight's wife and Steven's mother, said she was sound asleep when a call from U.S. Rep. Greg Walden awakened her Tuesday morning. "He said it's a done deal, the papers were signed,'' she said. "We've been waiting a long time. I think it's wonderful.''

Though Susie Hammond believed her husband and son had a strong case for clemency, she was reluctant to get her hopes up.

"I've just been sitting here, on the phone since,'' she said. "I still can't believe it. I won't believe it until I see them.''

Walden said he looks forward to welcoming the Hammonds back to Oregon.

"Today is a win for justice and an acknowledgement of our unique way of life in the high desert, rural West,'' he said. "I applaud President Trump for thoroughly reviewing the facts of this case, rightly determining the Hammonds were treated unfairly and taking action to correct this injustice.''

Statement from the Press Secretary Regarding Executive Clemency for Dwight and Steven Hammond

Today, President Donald J. Trump signed Executive Grants of Clemency (Full Pardons) for Dwight Lincoln Hammond, Jr., and his son, Steven Hammond. The Hammonds are multi-generation cattle ranchers in Oregon imprisoned in connection with a fire that leaked onto a small portion of neighboring public grazing land. The evidence at trial regarding the Hammonds’ responsibility for the fire was conflicting, and the jury acquitted them on most of the charges.

At the Hammonds’ original sentencing, the judge noted that they are respected in the community and that imposing the mandatory minimum, 5-year prison sentence would “shock the conscience” and be “grossly disproportionate to the severity” of their conduct. As a result, the judge imposed significantly lesser sentences. The previous administration, however, filed an overzealous appeal that resulted in the Hammonds being sentenced to five years in prison. This was unjust.

obama_vs_cowboy-766x407.jpg

Trump has pardoned the Hammond's ...............And it's long past time. The BLM was out of control driving the cattle ranchers out of business.

President Donald Trump on Tuesday pardoned two eastern Oregon ranchers serving time in federal prison for setting fire to public land in a case that inflamed their supporters and gave rise to the armed takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

Dwight Hammond Jr., 76, and son Steven Hammond, 49, walked out of a federal prison in California about 6 1/2 hours later. They were convicted in 2012 of arson on Harney County land where they had grazing rights for their cattle. They were ordered back to prison in early 2016 to serve out five-year sentences.

"The Hammonds are devoted family men, respected contributors to their local community and have widespread support from their neighbors, local law enforcement and farmers and ranchers across the West,'' the White House said in a statement. "Justice is overdue for Dwight and Steven Hammond, both of whom are entirely deserving of these Grants of Executive Clemency.''

Susie Hammond, Dwight's wife and Steven's mother, said she was sound asleep when a call from U.S. Rep. Greg Walden awakened her Tuesday morning. "He said it's a done deal, the papers were signed,'' she said. "We've been waiting a long time. I think it's wonderful.''

Though Susie Hammond believed her husband and son had a strong case for clemency, she was reluctant to get her hopes up.

"I've just been sitting here, on the phone since,'' she said. "I still can't believe it. I won't believe it until I see them.''

"Today is a win for justice and an acknowledgement of our unique way of life in the high desert, rural West,'' he said. "I applaud President Trump for thoroughly reviewing the facts of this case, rightly determining the Hammonds were treated unfairly and taking action to correct this injustice.''
Arsonists for trump!

Day 67 Trump killed the regulation that gave too much power to the Federal Gov't....and took it away from the states.

House Resolution 44

bye bye Obama's legacy!

there's almost no coverage of this in the media
Of course not. It's another example of Gov't abuse of power, and Federal Land Grabs at the expense of the people who lived there.

Glad to see the Hammond's out. Charged with the same crime twice. And it was just them burning Sage trying to do fire breaks.

The same thing the BLM did all the time and burned cows alive and private citizens farms............didn't see them go to jail.

What are you morons babbling about now? The Hammonds were convicted of arson. Has nothing to do with cattle. And I see no good reason why they should have been pardoned. There was never any controversy over their convictions, only over their subsequent re-sentencing. I can see commuting their sentence. But this is a shameless abuse of power by Donald. Then again, it's Wednesday so that's to be expected anymore.

What are you morons babbling about now? The Hammonds were convicted of arson. Has nothing to do with cattle. And I see no good reason why they should have been pardoned. There was never any controversy over their convictions, only over their subsequent re-sentencing. I can see commuting their sentence. But this is a shameless abuse of power by Donald. Then again, it's Wednesday so that's to be expected anymore.
I'm going to say this without a shadow of doubt................UP YOURS...............Federal Gov't drove out all the ranchers after they did a land grab in the abuse of power. One refused to go...............and that is how this happened.

And the Hammond had already served time for that SO CALLED CRIME.............But the Feds wanted more and tried them again.

I can show the BLM lighting fires right next to cows again............but people like you would never listen. We charge people for animal abuse for a pet........but the BLM can burn Cattle alive and no one prosecutes them.

I'm going to say this without a shadow of doubt................UP YOURS...............Federal Gov't drove out all the ranchers after they did a land grab in the abuse of power. One refused to go...............and that is how this happened.

And the Hammond had already served time for that SO CALLED CRIME.............But the Feds wanted more and tried them again.

I can show the BLM lighting fires right next to cows again............but people like you would never listen. We charge people for animal abuse for a pet........but the BLM can burn Cattle alive and no one prosecutes them.

Yeah, um, you're combining about 20 different unrelated things.

Yeah, um, you're combining about 20 different unrelated things.
BS Watch the dang video with BLM lighting fires burning private property. Burning private property houses down, fences and lighting fires right next to a cow and a corral. Same dang thing they charged the Hammond's for ......they were doing fire breaks.

Arsonists for trump!
Lol

You poor thing. You are simply beside yourself with angst & frustration.

It is delightful to witness first hand.

Exercising his constitutional authority is an abuse of power?

Arsonists for trump!
Ya a fire threatened the Hammond farm so they started a back fire, that burned a 139 acres
So many of your ilk call us fly over country, unless it suits your purpose

Forum List

Back