"Trump is a classic GASLIGHTER in an abusive relationship with America" (USA Today)

centerleftFL

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2018
I did NOT know what gaslighting was till 10 minutes ago. I've heard it. Had you asked 10 minutes ago, I would have said it was 'bullshitting'. I've never used it. (How the hell did I get this old and not KNOW?) Anyway, here's the definition, it's origin and an article about how TRUMP is gaslighting the country.

adjective

1. gaslit(def 2).

verb (used with object), gas·light·ed or gas·lit, gas·light·ing.

1. to cause (a person) to doubt his or her sanity through the use of psychological manipulation: How do you know if your partner is gaslighting you?

Origin of gaslight
Reference to the 1944 movie Gaslight, in which an abusive husband secretly and repeatedly dims and brightens the gaslights in the house while accusing his wife of imagining the flickering

Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
______________________________________________________________________________________

Remember this was written almost 4 weeks ago. Before a caravan of 'rapists, MS13 members carrying small pox and leprosy' were even known to be on the move, WE were gaslighted into believing they were INVADERS. And before WE were gaslighted into accepting that 3000, 5000, 15,000 (pick a #) of US troops were needed to repel the invaders. Before a Saudi Prince gaslighted Trump into believing a dead dismembered WAPO reporter wasn't and if he was, Saudi Arabia had nothing to do with it. Before 14 bombs were sent to Democrats and their supporters and WE were gaslighted into thinking it didn't matter because the bombs didn't go off (or gaslighted to believe it was a 'false flag' operation) and that it had nothing to do with TRUMP hatred, even though the bomber drove a moving altar to Trump. Before 11 Jews in their synagogue were shot to death and Trump tried to gaslight US into believing it had nothing to do with HIS ratcheted up hate-filled rhetoric even though the shooter posted anti-semitic remarks as he said he was "going in".

Donald Trump is a classic gaslighter in an abusive relationship with America

Stephanie Sarkis, Opinion contributor - USA TODAY

Published 5:00 a.m. ET Oct. 3, 2018 | Updated 12:31 p.m. ET Oct. 3, 2018

Gaslighting is outrageous behavior from anyone, let alone a U.S. president. Don't get confused, don't get exhausted, and don't stop fighting back.

The United States is in an abusive relationship with the president. As a therapist in clinical practice, I’m trained to spot the signs and offer strategies to help people cope. Abusive relationships are extremely dangerous, and this is no exception. Donald Trump’s gaslighting has led the country into a spiral of doubt, anger and despair.

Gaslighting behavior has always been present in history, to a degree. It is par for the course whenever a person or entity wants to exert as much control as possible over others. But we haven’t seen this level of gaslighting since the Axis powers of World War II.

Consider Trump’s : “What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not happening.” Or this from Rudy Giuliani, Trump’s attorney. This is a classic gaslighting technique — telling victims that others are crazy and lying, and that the gaslighter is the only source for “true” information. It makes victims question their reality, becoming even more dependent on the gaslighter for “truth.”

Republicans who enable Trump are complicit

“If he says he’s going to turn the moon purple I believe him,” said Trump superfan Gene Huber at a rally this summer. And in fact, there is widespread denial among Trump supporters about facts that are perceived as undermining his authority.

On Aug. 21, Trump’s former lawyer pleaded guilty to tax evasion, bank fraud and campaign-finance violations while Trump’s former campaign chairman was convicted on eight counts of bank and tax fraud. At Trump’s rally that evening, the crowd chanted, “Lock her up” — in reference to Hillary Clinton.

Just this week, Trump deployed a classic gaslighting technique when asked whether Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh would be disqualified if he had lied about or mischaracterized his history with alcohol. Rather than answering the question, Trump said, "There are bad reports on everybody" and launched into accusatory remarks about Democratic Sens. Richard Blumenthal, Cory Booker and Dianne Feinstein.

This is not normal behavior from anyone, let alone the president of the United States. But Trump’s behavior is so continually outrageous that it has been normalized — and mainstream Republicans who fail to call him out for fear of retribution are complicit in constructing this alternate reality.

Dictators and would-be dictators use these same tactics to gain power and control over their constituents. The more gaslighting continues, the more off-kilter and confused the population becomes, until people are too tired to fight back.

What do we do? When we are told something that we obviously know to be untrue, we experience cognitive dissonance. This is when things just don’t “sit right” with us. What we are experiencing is vastly different to our values and what we hold to be true. Pay attention to that feeling — and don’t be afraid to make your voice heard. Contact your representatives. Speak with your vote. Fight voter suppression. Remember, protesting is your constitutional right.

Find the courage to call out gaslighters....

(I wanted to post the entire ARTICLE and I promise USA Today would NOT come to our little corner of the net and yell at us but I'm following the rules)Last edited by Centerleftfl; Today at 05:46 PM.

Naw, he’s just in an abusive relationship with the regressive left. He keeps beating you down and you keep coming back for more.

Two enemies of the state collude over fresh lies. The OP is total hogwash.

I did NOT know what gaslighting was till 10 minutes ago. I've heard it. Had you asked 10 minutes ago, I would have said it was 'bullshitting'. I've never used it. (How the hell did I get this old and not KNOW?) Anyway, here's the definition, it's origin and an article about how TRUMP is gaslighting the country.

adjective

1. gaslit(def 2).

1. to cause (a person) to doubt his or her sanity through the use of psychological manipulation: How do you know if your partner is gaslighting you?

Origin of gaslight
Reference to the 1944 movie Gaslight, in which an abusive husband secretly and repeatedly dims and brightens the gaslights in the house while accusing his wife of imagining the flickering

Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
______________________________________________________________________________________

Remember this was written almost 4 weeks ago. Before a caravan of 'rapists, MS13 members carrying small pox and leprosy' were even known to be on the move, WE were gaslighted into believing they were INVADERS. And before WE were gaslighted into accepting that 3000, 5000, 15,000 (pick a #) of US troops were needed to repel the invaders. Before a Saudi Prince gaslighted Trump into believing a dead dismembered WAPO reporter wasn't and if he was, Saudi Arabia had nothing to do with it. Before 14 bombs were sent to Democrats and their supporters and WE were gaslighted into thinking it didn't matter because the bombs didn't go off (or gaslighted to believe it was a 'false flag' operation) and that it had nothing to do with TRUMP hatred, even though the bomber drove a moving altar to Trump. Before 11 Jews in their synagogue were shot to death and Trump tried to gaslight US into believing it had nothing to do with HIS ratcheted up hate-filled rhetoric even though the shooter posted anti-semitic remarks as he said he was "going in".

Gaslighting is outrageous behavior from anyone, let alone a U.S. president. Don't get confused, don't get exhausted, and don't stop fighting back.

The United States is in an abusive relationship with the president. As a therapist in clinical practice, I’m trained to spot the signs and offer strategies to help people cope. Abusive relationships are extremely dangerous, and this is no exception. Donald Trump’s gaslighting has led the country into a spiral of doubt, anger and despair.

Gaslighting behavior has always been present in history, to a degree. It is par for the course whenever a person or entity wants to exert as much control as possible over others. But we haven’t seen this level of gaslighting since the Axis powers of World War II.

Consider Trump’s : “What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not happening.” Or this from Rudy Giuliani, Trump’s attorney. This is a classic gaslighting technique — telling victims that others are crazy and lying, and that the gaslighter is the only source for “true” information. It makes victims question their reality, becoming even more dependent on the gaslighter for “truth.”

“If he says he’s going to turn the moon purple I believe him,” said Trump superfan Gene Huber at a rally this summer. And in fact, there is widespread denial among Trump supporters about facts that are perceived as undermining his authority.

On Aug. 21, Trump’s former lawyer pleaded guilty to tax evasion, bank fraud and campaign-finance violations while Trump’s former campaign chairman was convicted on eight counts of bank and tax fraud. At Trump’s rally that evening, the crowd chanted, “Lock her up” — in reference to Hillary Clinton.

Just this week, Trump deployed a classic gaslighting technique when asked whether Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh would be disqualified if he had lied about or mischaracterized his history with alcohol. Rather than answering the question, Trump said, "There are bad reports on everybody" and launched into accusatory remarks about Democratic Sens. Richard Blumenthal, Cory Booker and Dianne Feinstein.

This is not normal behavior from anyone, let alone the president of the United States. But Trump’s behavior is so continually outrageous that it has been normalized — and mainstream Republicans who fail to call him out for fear of retribution are complicit in constructing this alternate reality.

Dictators and would-be dictators use these same tactics to gain power and control over their constituents. The more gaslighting continues, the more off-kilter and confused the population becomes, until people are too tired to fight back.

What do we do? When we are told something that we obviously know to be untrue, we experience cognitive dissonance. This is when things just don’t “sit right” with us. What we are experiencing is vastly different to our values and what we hold to be true. Pay attention to that feeling — and don’t be afraid to make your voice heard. Contact your representatives. Speak with your vote. Fight voter suppression. Remember, protesting is your constitutional right.

(I wanted to post the entire ARTICLE and I promise USA Today would NOT come to our little corner of the net and yell at us but I'm following the rules)Last edited by Centerleftfl; Today at 05:46 PM.

I'm afraid your observations are spot on & sadly true.

This is what America has come to.

Hitler followed a very similar play book in Germany in the 1930s.

SHAME on those that feel for Trump's manipulation of the masses & that voted for Trump.

You ARE ALL complicit.

adjective

1. gaslit(def 2).

Origin of gaslight

I'm afraid your observations are spot on & sadly true.

This is what America has come to.

Hitler followed a very similar play book in Germany in the 1930s.

SHAME on those that feel for Trump's manipulation of the masses & that voted for Trump.

You ARE ALL complicit.

Ryan and McConnell are the bosses and the neighbors and the relatives and the cops WHO STOOD BY AND DID NOTHING while women were beaten with impunity and allowed the men to do it! Grown men, the GOP power structure who stood by and KNOWINGLY allowed themselves to be gaslighted by TRUMP.

FUCKING COWARDS!!

stkr. trump, how low.PNG

Last edited:

Forum List

Back