Trump has really blown up the budget

More accurately, China is to blame.

The administration's final accounting of the 2020 budget year shows that revenues fell by 1.2% to $3.42 trillion, while government spending surged 47.3% to $6.55 trillion. That spending reflects all of the relief programs Congress passed in the spring to shore up the economy as millions of Americans were losing their jobs.

More accurately, China is to blame.

The administration's final accounting of the 2020 budget year shows that revenues fell by 1.2% to $3.42 trillion, while government spending surged 47.3% to $6.55 trillion. That spending reflects all of the relief programs Congress passed in the spring to shore up the economy as millions of Americans were losing their jobs.

I agree on the spending, but the loss of revenue is due to the 2017 tax cuts.

...the actual amount of revenue collected in FY2018 was significantly lower than the Congressional Budget Office’s (CBO) projection of FY2018 revenue made in January 2017—before the tax cuts were signed into law in December 2017. The shortfall was $275 billion, or 7.6% of revenues that were expected before the tax cuts took place.

Trump doesn't have control of the budget or federal spending, the house does you idiot.
RGi4jCf.gif

2013-2016, a Democratic President with a Republican House. It's why I see that combination as our only hope regarding fiscal responsibility. Likewise during Clinton years.

1602876918561.png

Last edited:
2013-2016, a Democratic President with a Republican House. It's why I see that combination as our only hope regarding fiscal responsibility.

View attachment 402521

I always counted on Republicans to check spending. They've done little of that during the entire Trump administration.

2013-2016, a Democratic President with a Republican House. It's why I see that combination as our only hope regarding fiscal responsibility.

View attachment 402521

I always counted on Republicans to check spending. They've done little of that during the entire Trump administration.

Well, at least they didn't pass the $3.4 trillion Relief Bill that the House Dems passed. I haven't checked, but how much deeper would we be in debt if the democrats had their way the last 2 years?

That said, spending in Washington is ridiculous and it's out of control. It will not be long before the interest on the debt will be the single highest budget item, higher than defense, Medicare, SSA, or anything else. And it's heading higher. And who's going to have to deal with that? Future generations.

I believe it's that power corrupts natural sort of thing. Look back to the numbers after Reagan and GHW Bush and GW Bush. It may take the Democrats holding the presidency, but I give the GOP credit for at least this half assed approach to fiscal responsibility. With the Democrats in the House and a Republican president the Democrats are more than willing to go along to get along as long as they feel they're getting a fair share. Which only worsens things.

Trump doesn't have control of the budget or federal spending, the house does you idiot.

So the Republicans are responsible for the massive deficits during the Bush and Obama years? They controlled the House 12 out of the 16 years. They also controlled the House the first two years of Trump's only term.

Pelosi is still holding up covid relief until she gets another TWO TRILLION and the budget is all Trumps fault :disbelief:

The Republicans haven't cared about spending since the Gingrich Congress. Since then they've only paid lip service to their constituency.

The Republicans haven't cared about spending since the Gingrich Congress. Since then they've only paid lip service to their constituency.
Well...they've still done better than the Democrats.

Forum List

Back