Trump Administration detained American born scientist coming from South America

R

rdean

A US-born NASA scientist was detained at the border until he unlocked his phone

Bikkannavar says he was detained by US Customs and Border Patrol and pressured to give the CBP agents his phone and access PIN. Since the phone was issued by NASA, it may have contained sensitive material that wasn’t supposed to be shared. Bikkannavar’s phone was returned to him after it was searched by CBP, but he doesn’t know exactly what information officials might have taken from the device.

Seemingly, Bikkannavar’s reentry into the country should not have raised any flags. Not only is he a natural-born US citizen, but he’s also enrolled in Global Entry a program through CBP that allows individuals who have undergone background checks to have expedited entry into the country. He hasn’t visited the countries listed in the immigration ban and he has worked at JPL — a major center at a US federal agency — for 10 years. There, he works on “wavefront sensing and control,” a type of optics technology that will be used on the upcoming James Webb Space Telescope.

“I don’t know what to think about this,” Bikkannavar recently told The Verge in aphone call. “...I was caught a little off guard by the whole thing.”

--------------------------

Of course, we know what Republicans think about science and scientists so is this really any surprise?

sidd-bikkannavar-18-hrs-sorry-for-the-absence-on-my-13933040.png

Doesn't it ever occur to the radical left that the fact that immigration authorities detain people including NASA scientists is freaking proof that they are doing their jobs? My 91 year old (Irish) mother in law was detained at an airport when she was confused about the metal detector when it rang on her freaking artificial knee. We all laughed it off after she was released after being ushered into a private screening room. Everything is political to the radical left.

It seems this is becoming a police state. They had no right to detain him. They are not doing their jobs. The jobs they are doing has no place in any America I know. This is Trump's America.

Doesn't it ever occur to the radical left that the fact that immigration authorities detain people including NASA scientists is freaking proof that they are doing their jobs? My 91 year old (Irish) mother in law was detained at an airport when she was confused about the metal detector when it rang on her freaking artificial knee. We all laughed it off after she was released after being ushered into a private screening room. Everything is political to the radical left.
But he didn't set off metal detectors.

Bikkannavar says he was detained by US Customs and Border Patrol and pressured to give the CBP agents his phone and access PIN. Since the phone was issued by NASA, it may have contained sensitive material that wasn’t supposed to be shared. Bikkannavar’s phone was returned to him after it was searched by CBP, but he doesn’t know exactly what information officials might have taken from the device.

Seemingly, Bikkannavar’s reentry into the country should not have raised any flags. Not only is he a natural-born US citizen, but he’s also enrolled in Global Entry a program through CBP that allows individuals who have undergone background checks to have expedited entry into the country. He hasn’t visited the countries listed in the immigration ban and he has worked at JPL — a major center at a US federal agency — for 10 years. There, he works on “wavefront sensing and control,” a type of optics technology that will be used on the upcoming James Webb Space Telescope.

“I don’t know what to think about this,” Bikkannavar recently told The Verge in aphone call. “...I was caught a little off guard by the whole thing.”

Of course, we know what Republicans think about science and scientists so is this really any surprise?

Since the phone was issued by NASA, it may have contained sensitive material that wasn’t supposed to be shared.

NASA secrets that can't be shared? Where the crashed UFOs are stored?

That's awful!

DERP!

Trump ordered the CBP to detain scientists? You've actually gotten dumber in the last month. LOL!

The Left can't argue facts, so they play on emotions. "You can't deport them, you'll break up families."

It's shameful.

The Left doesn't care if their policies actually accomplish anything. They just care if it makes them "feel good."

Stupid and ridiculous.

Illegals (or their parents) made the choice to enter this country illegally. They must face the consequences of their actions. Period.

There is nothing in this story that shows he was detained because of the "Muslim ban". There isn't a Muslim ban to begin with, it doesn't even say this guy is Muslim, he is Indian. He also had a US passport, not one from one of the seven countries on the restricted list. The guy just tweeting he was held because of the "Muslim ban", he is making that up. People get pulled to the side and forced to undergo additional searches all the time. It's either because they had some other reason to, or just a random search. He's just another idiot trying to make headlines for himself by claiming he is a victim of 'racism'.....and surprise surprise...rdurp fell for it.

Yeah, sure, how many NASA scientists have invaded the US?

There is nothing in this story that shows he was detained because of the "Muslim ban". There isn't a Muslim ban to begin with, it doesn't even say this guy is Muslim, he is Indian. He also had a US passport, not one from one of the seven countries on the restricted list. The guy just tweeting he was held because of the "Muslim ban", he is making that up. People get pulled to the side and forced to undergo additional searches all the time. It's either because they had some other reason to, or just a random search. He's just another idiot trying to make headlines for himself by claiming he is a victim of 'racism'.....and surprise surprise...rdurp fell for it.

The issues here are A) does an American with a US passport and hasn't been convicted of a crime have the right to leave the country? The answer to that is yes.
and B) is, does a person have a right to privacy? Yes they do.
C) does leaving the country give the US govt the right to take away your privacy, does it give them the power to go through all your private data? No, it doesn't. So what they did was ILLEGAL.

The issues here are A) does an American with a US passport and hasn't been convicted of a crime have the right to leave the country? The answer to that is yes.
C) does leaving the country give the US govt the right to take away your privacy, does it give them the power to go through all your private data? No, it doesn't. So what they did was ILLEGAL.

According to the article it is legal for them to search. I agree searching a phone like that is a breach of privacy, but the it would seem the law allows CBP to do the searches.

The Left can't argue facts, so they play on emotions. "You can't deport them, you'll break up families."

It's shameful.

The Left doesn't care if their policies actually accomplish anything. They just care if it makes them "feel good."

Stupid and ridiculous.

Illegals (or their parents) made the choice to enter this country illegally. They must face the consequences of their actions. Period.
What does that have to do with this thread? The guy was born here, has a high security clearance and works at NASA.

According to the article it is legal for them to search. I agree searching a phone like that is a breach of privacy, but the it would seem the law allows CBP to do the searches.

Wouldn't it be the law that they have to get a warrant? I mean, they can't prevent a US citizen from entering their own country, and they can't say they have to give up their privacy in order to enter. If he simply refused to give over the pin number, then they shouldn't be able to prevent any US citizen from entering. Basically it's big brother getting way too big for his boots.

NO surprise that you post more garbage.

I noted that no reason at all was given for the detaining.

Wouldn't it be the law that they have to get a warrant? I mean, they can't prevent a US citizen from entering their own country, and they can't say they have to give up their privacy in order to enter. If he simply refused to give over the pin number, then they shouldn't be able to prevent any US citizen from entering. Basically it's big brother getting way too big for his boots.

I agree. They didn't prevent him from coming in. If it's not required to give them access to your phone they shouldn't even be asking a US citizen.
Completely separate issue though, he is claiming this happened to him because of a non-existent "Muslim ban".

Who cares. Dude likely got it more easy then say,,, a little old lady trying to fly from LA to New York would.

I agree. They didn't prevent him from coming in. If it's not required to give them access to your phone they shouldn't even be asking a US citizen.
Completely separate issue though, he is claiming this happened to him because of a non-existent "Muslim ban".

Well, it's hardly surprising. I mean you'd think people on a forum like this would have knowledge about such things, and be interested in politics, and half the people here can't even string a few sentences together and their knowledge seems to be whatever some partisan hack told them a few hours before. How can you expect people who have proper jobs and probably don't care too much to actually understand such things? And yet these people all vote.

Yeah, sure, how many NASA scientists have invaded the US?

Including this guy....at least 1.

Forum List

Back