Tosin Oshinowo rebuilds a settlement for a community displaced by Boko Haram

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
In 2014, the small community of Ngarannam located in northeast Nigeria was left destroyed and deserted following attacks by insurgent group Boko Haram. Since then, the village in Borno state has been left mostly desolate, with many of its residents displaced in overflowing refugee camps miles away. But the Nigerian government, along with the support of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), have decided to rebuild. The new infrastructure is nearing completion this summer. It will provide 500 new housing units, a health clinic, a primary school and instructor quarters, a marketplace, and other services including road infrastructure.

The architect behind the plan, who has been dubbed Nigeria’s “beach house queen” for her impressive portfolio of beach houses in Nigeria showcased on Netflix’s Made by Design series. Indeed, the current project in a small Borno state village may seem like an outlier among the Nigerian architect’s notable works in the past, including Maryland Mall in Lagos and luxury chair brand Ilé-Ilà (which was featured in the glossy pages of Harper’s Bazaar Interiors and Elle Decor).

I did a search trying to find out what the inside of the buildings looked like because it seems like tiny buildings that are duplexes. The larger one looks more like an office or two. I say this knowing that knowing that I have a different view of space because I am American. I like the colors.

Forum List

Back