Top 30 songs from 1967

The line "na na na na na na na na na na" is the same line Lennon sings coming out of the midsection of A Day in the Life.

2:48 here:

Joe South just sped it up but it's the same line, note for note. I mean I recognized it back then the first time I heard it.

Seriously can the line ""na na na na na na na na na na" " there has to be words to actually be called a line?

Seriously can the line ""na na na na na na na na na na" " there has to be words to actually be called a line?

NOT the words. The MUSIC. Neither song has words in that line.
That's why I said "note for note"

We can't link to other message boards here but if we could we might find some poster on one of those boards saying:

>> Joe South (who wrote "Hush") was a great songwriter, but often stole melodic fragments and chord progressions, carefully stopping just short of outright plagiarism. Nicking that bit from "A Day in the Life" is just one example. The chorus of the song was based on a traditional spiritual ("Hush,hush, I heard somebody callin' my name and I know,oh Lord, my time ain't long"), much like South's "All My Hard Times" (heavily based on "All My Trials" which is in the public domain). One of South's early singles, "Masquerade", took the chord progressions and structure directly from "Spanish Harlem", but gave it different words and a different enough melody to avoid a lawsuit. "I Knew You When" was obviously influenced by the progressions in Bacharach-David's "Anyone Who Had a Heart." "Pollyanna" (written by Joe South and recorded by Billy Joe Royal) used the progressions from the Beach Boys' "Don't Worry,Baby." "Don't You Be Ashamed" used the structure and lyrical idea (but not the exact words or melody) of "River Deep, Mountain High." "Bittersweet" has the same progressions as Wayne Newton's "Danke Schoen." Lucky for the gifted but crafty Joe South, you can't copyright a chord progression. However, the lick he took from "A Day in the Life" used the same melody as well as the same progression. I'm guessing that there was no plagiarism suit because it was just a fragment. <<​
I don't know most of those references but someone apparently did.

Last edited:
Number 27

For what it is worth....Buffalo Springfield.

Great song.
Along with CCRs Favorite Son, one of the best Vietnam War songs

Buffalo Springfield along with the Hollies provided Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

Looking at BillBoard's Top 100 for 1967, you fined much better songs below the Top 30. Bad year for The Beatles and their Boy Band lovers, just three of their worst ever made it. The Rolling Stones single had decent songs on both sides.

Member of the Boomer Master Race here.

1967 was a fun year. 1968 was even funner.

Looking at BillBoard's Top 100 for 1967, you fined much better songs below the Top 30. Bad year for The Beatles and their Boy Band lovers, just three of their worst ever made it. The Rolling Stones single had decent songs on both sides.

"Bad year for the Beatles"??
shakehead.gif

Soooo turning the entire concept of recording on its head with your tour de force LP after which nothing will ever be the same is a "bad year"? Dafuck is a "good year"?

Holy SHIT.

I think it may have been based on record sales.

With all those great songs, no WAY was “To Sir, With Love” the best song of 1967
See, I have no problem with it being number 1 but that's because I wouldn't have a problem with any song they picked [Plus I really love that song] back then I was a big beatles fan but I listened to Motown a lot more than british rock...67 was also a boom time for Sidney Poitier with the movies "to sir with love" and "guess who's coming to dinner?" the year before and probably gave lulu an edge.

lol @ 'Tour de force' ....Sgt.Pepper???? Really? That's some hilarious stuff right there.

The kewl kidz were listening to Dylan, Johnny Cash, and the like by '67. Nobody cool would be caught dead listening to the Beatles. As already mentioned Motown was putting out better stuff than pop.

As for Lulu, as I said earlier the market for rock and pop was screaming adolescent girls, same as now, and To Sir With Love is as good as that genre gets. The market is the same demographics today, except it's much more dance and video oriented, and as I also said earlier, the overall quality of female vocalists is much better, with few exceptions. And, the kewl kidz still don't listen to it much.

Another one or two that came to mind --- technically this was a 1967 release and technically a B-side but it got all the airplay

lol @ 'Tour de force' ....Sgt.Pepper???? Really? That's some hilarious stuff right there.

The kewl kidz were listening to Dylan, Johnny Cash, and the like by '67. Nobody cool would be caught dead listening to the Beatles. As already mentioned Motown was putting out better stuff than pop.

As for Lulu, as I said earlier the market for rock and pop was screaming adolescent girls, same as now, and To Sir With Love is as good as that genre gets. The market is the same demographics today, except it's much more dance and video oriented, and as I also said earlier, the overall quality of female vocalists is much better, with few exceptions. And, the kewl kidz still don't listen to it much.

Yes, without any question whatsoever. Pepper innovated stuff from the music to the song structure to the album art that simply had never been thought of before, much if not all of which was immediately incorporated by everybody else. That doesn't preclude the Dylans, Cashes, Motowns etc at all. It simply broke new ground and set new standards.

For obvious examples, full lyrics on the cover, completely original orchestral score on A Day in the Life, and for a less obvious example ---- no rills.

Sgt Pepper was a groundbreaking record by all accords

Dylan was garbled nonsense.

There was a time when I thought that about Dylan.

Eventually I got that I was listening too directly. It's more right brain than left.
Reminds me of Springsteen, don’t understand half of what he is singing.
But at least Springsteen has a great band behind him.

Sgt Pepper was a groundbreaking record by all accords

Dylan was garbled nonsense.

There was a time when I thought that about Dylan.

Eventually I got that I was listening too directly. It's more right brain than left.
Reminds me of Springsteen, don’t understand half of what he is singing.
But at least Springsteen has a great band behind him.

Unfortunately not enough of a band to drown out that voice that always sounds like it's in mid-puke.

I dunno I just think that if you're hearing Dylan looking for melodies and sonorous on-key singing, you're missing the point. He's a raconteur. You don't hear it so much as feel it, and yet, it leaves you thinking. As opposed to your basic dance machine rhythmic music that leaves you feeling dopamine.

God I'm so thankful I grew up with this stuff stuck to my ear. RIP Brian. Who knows how good they would had been if you lived. The brilliance of him will be noticed. He could play anything.

Forum List

Back