Too high college tuition in the USA

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Your Cuddly Choco Bear
Can you afford to go to college? I think you guys in the USA have to pay a shit load of money to go to college. In Austria I pay 150 € a semester now that I study. I applied for a university in california and they said I need 30.000 $ a semester. That is incredible, no way I could ever afford that.

I paid every last dime of my boy's college education, aside from his scholarship money.

Can you afford to go to college? I think you guys in the USA have to pay a shit load of money to go to college. In Austria I pay 150 € a semester now that I study. I applied for a university in california and they said I need 30.000 $ a semester. That is incredible, no way I could ever afford that.

Different colleges have different tuitions. Not every school in America is that expensive.

But US professors make a lot of money

The amount you state should be for a whole year.

Yes. I guess so. Still that is 15.000 $ a semester vs 150 $ in Austria. 1 € = approx. 1 $
It's much cheaper to be brain washed in Austria........Cali is over rated.......now class........RAISE YOUR FIST and repeat after me.

I HATE THE POLICE........

Do you really want to subject yourself to the mental retardation of California..............

I will share my college application with you.

Hello Svetozar,
I responded to your inquiry into the program before I noticed that you had applied to both the MDiv and the MTS programs. I need to make it clear that we only accept Franciscan seminarians or seminarians from our local San Diego diocese, so you can not expect to be admitted as a seminarian. If this is alright with you then your next step is to take the TOEFL exam and have the results sent directly to me. It is our policy that all foreign applicants must take the English proficiency examination prior to having their application reviewed. In addition, you will need to have your transcript evaluated by the World Education Service at www.wes.org. Please get the course-by-course evaluation and have it translated into English if necessary.

Once you have completed these steps you will need to complete the financial declaration form I sent you in the preceding email. All international students must prove they have the financial ability to fund their first year in the USA without assistance from any financial aid. The amount is noted on the form, but I believe it is approximately $38,000.

Lastly, I would like to ask you to revise your statement of purpose to ensure that it is "FOREWARD THINKING" and doesn't give so much personal background. Your application will be reviewed by an academic committee and the information you disclosed in your application is much too personal for their purposes. They want to know what you are doing now, what you want to do in the future, and how the Franciscan School of Theology can help you get there. In short, why do you want an MDiv and MTS degree from FST and what do you plan to do with it?

I am very happy to assist you as you embark upon this application process. Please let me know what questions you have.

Peace and every good,

Christine

I want to become a Priest and I want to evangelize, to preach the Gospel, to change people, to baptise people, to councell people. That is my purpose. But I think I would not be admitted because I dont have $38.000 because I live off from a pension I receive, a disability pension because I was diagnosed with Shizophrenia. But If I study in the USA I wouldnt receive it anymore and I would have 0$, I dont know if it is possible that I work in the USA while studying this would be the only way to be able to provide for myself without fiancial aid? I will see where I can get TOEFL scores here in Austria, I didnt heard of this before and then I will pass the exam. Im sure I will pass it.
Regards, Svetozar Plemic

Hello Christine,
I will revise my statement of purpose. I wanted to point out how I became a Christian, what is my story. And why I want to be priest. Maybe it is not so clear though. I dont mention any theological theory but I mention my personal life what lead me to Jesus Christ. Why I want to be priest or do ministry.

Hello Svetozar,
I applaud your zeal for our good and gracious God. If God is calling you to serve Holy Mother Church as a Catholic priest then I believe He will open the way for you.

Based on what you have shared with me regarding your financial situation it would be imprudent for me to encourage you to continue with the application process as you would not be eligible to receive the necessary form I-20 from FST.

I have included the US regulations below for your review.
US Immigration and Customs Enforcement requires documented assurance that international students have sufficient financial resources to meet the costs of study in the United Staes. The funds listed on this form must equal or exceed estimated expenses at the Franciscan School of Theology. Limited tuition aid may be available to international students.

Estimated Fees for Academic Year 2020-2021 Tuition and Fees $ 18,180 US Dollars
Room and Board $ 12,375 US Dollars
Books and Supplies $ 1,000 US Dollars
Medical Insurance $ 1,988 US Dollars
Personal Expenses $ 3,875 US Dollars
TOTAL $ 37,418 US Dollars

As an alternative to relocating to the USA, I would suggest you research universities offering theology degrees online. That way you would be able to pursue your studies at home and continue receiving your current income.

Peace and every good,

Christine

My statement of purpose: Do you think it was any good?

Praise be to God
I was born 1983 in Serbia. At the age of 5 I was baptised in Novi Becej in the Serbian Orthodox Church . In 1990 I moved to Austria as immigrant. I started school in Austria. In school I took part in Catholic religious education classes. I was prepared for First Communion and received it . At my First Communion I received as gift a childrens Bible with lots of pictures. It deeply inspired me, I read it many times. I always was interested in Theology and Philosophy as well even as child.
I went to high school later also in Austria. During that time, I was influenced by other teenagers to start smoking, drinking and taking drugs, some told me in a entertaining way about ghosts, demons and I bought a Satanic Bible. For me it was all fun and I didnt realised the severity behind it. I prayed to Satan and Demons to help me become who I want to be.
Once another teenager in Vöcklabruck told me to take a drug, it was actually a toxic material because I remember it said not for humans. He said though he does it too and I will feel good. I took alot of it and went back to Schwanenstadt where I lived and still live. I was trying to sell a bag of marihuana to some guys, and suddenly I fall down consciousless. I had a Vision of Hell. It was a feeling of emptiness, darkness, and I was very scared. But then I became concsious again, I went home and in the morning my mother came into my room and told me that my Grandmother died that night. I regreted that I prayed to Satan, and I throw away the Satanic Bible and prayed to God to help me and forgive me.
I was in Serbia and talked with the Orthodox Priest from the town I lived in as small child. I asked for permission to become Priest. But then nothing happened in that regard and I started studying law in law school in Linz. I noticed a mental change at the second semester, and that something is not right. I went to the psychiatry and was diagnosed with Shizophrenia. I still take the therapy and lots of meds. But Im convinced it is not Shizophrenia but the Spirit and God's doing because eatch Christmas or eatch Easter, it reoccurs regulary despite the Meds. I again seek the Church, I again seek God. I increase prayers, I increase evangelisation on social media, I start preaching and witnessing. It reoccurs despite medication. Now I finally realised that Im healed and confident that I should worship God.
Since Orthodoxy and Catholicism are theologically very close, I decided I like Catholicism better for a few reasons. Because the Catholic Church is not fragmented it is one unity, just like Christ said "We are many but one Body of Christ". Also Jesus said "You are Peter and on this rock I will build my church" and he said "The gates of Hell wont overcome you".
I could study in Austria as well or another country, but I prefer to study in the USA, I want to live and study in the USA and I chose your University because it is racially diverse. Im myself an other a Gypsy or Roma.

again, you people compare apples to oranges
....there are a lot of affordable colleges
..$150 a semester????!!!!

looks like they are just as expensive:

We have manufactured a fake demand for a college education.

That is what is responsible for the ridiculous tuition costs in the US

Just tell them you are an illegal alien........they will kiss your ass....make you a citizen....and pay for your school.

It's how they roll in Mexifornification anyways..........want more money on the sex part of the application.....put unknown........they will have an orgasm to help you out.....and even build you a bathroom.

Just tell them you are an illegal alien........they will kiss your ass....make you a citizen....and pay for your school.

It's how they roll in Mexifornification anyways..........want more money on the sex part of the application.....put unknown........they will have an orgasm to help you out.....and even build you a bathroom.
...they give illegals in state tuition!!!!!

You were born into the wrong family. In the US you can get the best education daddy can buy you....it's really a shit education but that piece of paper will take you places. Look at the clown show we have for a govt. Georgetown, Yale, Harvard......all assholes.

again, you people compare apples to oranges
....there are a lot of affordable colleges
..$150 a semester????!!!!

looks like they are just as expensive:

Tuition fees at public universities
  • For EU/EEA students: free of charge
  • For non-EU/EEA students: 1,452 EUR/academic year

I was told tuition fee is around 18.000 $ a year. That is 16.000 € at that american university I applied to. How is it just as expensive?

Guaranteed student loans are what pushed college tuition so high.

I suggest you not go to college in the US.

Guaranteed student loans are what pushed college tuition so high.
Plus a GW/Obama economy where many professions were assumed by Business Visas.

Forum List

Back