CDZ To Spank Or Not To Spank, That Is The Question

Do You Believe In Corporal Punishment?

• Total voters
To prevent repeated behavior that puts them or others at risk a few quick swats to the rear with an explanation of why is in order.

Male or female a father should be able to discipline his kids. a few quick swats doesn't affect a female any more than it does a male.

If you have a teenager who has become totally belligerent and hateful, perhaps cussing the mother, he may deserve to be slapped, open handed with removal of privileges and monetary allowance. And an explanation that if he does it again it will be harder the next time. In this case the mother should be the only one to administer this to a daughter. A follow up to a family counselor with his own family and kids or a minister may be in order if it reaches this point.

Same thing if your teenager is constantly sneaking out or drastically past curfew every single time they go out, particularly if they are drinking and have the car, you may want to press them firmly against the wall with an explanation that one more time and pow. followed by a trip to the family counselor who is raising his own kids. At this point you are trying to save not only his life and his future, but the lives of other people as well.

But no matter where you stand, if you set forth conditions, or say there are going to be certain consequences of any kind you MUST follow through. Otherwise, thee child will never believe another word you say and will never learn to respect the boundaries you set or that other people have for themselves.

We've all seen the Mother, or sometimes Dad at the store with a screaming misbehaving child, taking things from the shelves, sometimes worse. And over and over and over the parent screams and screams at them to stop, and then wham, the child looks right at mommy or dad, then rolls their eyes and hurls the candy bar across the store and absolutely nothing happens. In fact just as everyone is about to pull their hair out from the never ending commotion with mom screaming non stop as loud or louder than the child, mom buys the kid the candy or toy he wants and its all lovey Dovey. And mom baby talks the child all the way out to the car. And you know, lord help the poor teacher who is going to have to try to teach that kid how to read and write and how to respect the other kids and their belongings.

Someone said something about what they would do if a teacher spanked their child. In my small town so many decades ago, corporal punishment was allowed in the schools. It was always with two adults present and generally a teacher would ask another teacher to step out and and witness the act. we always knew when a knock at the door happened and a teacher quietly stuck their head in the door, our teacher would tell the class to read a page in one of our books, and a few minutes later they would step back in with a grim look on their face. Sometimes I think they were just bluffing to let us think a misbehaving kid just got spanked. If they were, it worked.

My own parents were very frank about it, they said if I ever received a spanking at school, I would get one when I got home. Because they were firm but fair and they always followed through with the stated discipline for breaking boundaries, I never got a spanking at school because I knew I would get exactly the same later.

It is truthful in my experience. I've never heard anyone talk like that who ever raised children themselves.

So, because you have never seen something, it does not exist. Uhh...yeah. You go with that.

I remember one dude, reminds me of you, at a job I had who would refuse to congratulate people who announced pregnancies or births because he thought the world was populated too much as it is.

OK. Some people are weird. Your point?

He asked me right after Elian Gonzalez was returned to the fascist Castro, if I had an opinion. I cited the 1864 repeal of the Fugitive Slave Act to say that the U.S. had no authority to return young Mr. Gonzalez to his imprisonment. He said that he "doesn't really consider Cubans to be slaves." I showed him the Cuban Constitution to prove that Castro disagreed with him. His response? It started with "Yeah, but . . . "

Yet again: are you attempting to stumble upon a POINT?

The response to being hit should be quite simple: slip up behind Pops, whip a wire loop over his head, and PULL!

And the child should, too. If the child tells you, say, "Raise a hand to me again and I will kill you," they should do so!

More likely, they were in a hurry...they wanted to rub one out after hurting a child.

How often did they run to the bedroom and lock the door for a while after torturing a child? Not enough abusers end up painfully and messily dead.
I think those were perhaps the most pathetic replies to any comments I have ever seen on this board. A slap to the buttocks of a four-year-old to keep them from darting out in front of a truck is not abuse or torture. You must be one of the new leftists who also wants to legalize PCP as a medical treatment for someone who already has mental problems. maybe you are smoking some now based on what you just wrote. You equate Murdering parents as revenge for good parenting. let me guess, you wear a T shirt that says Keep Portland Weird. And you hang dry it next to the washer and your bed in your moms basement.

I think those were perhaps the most pathetic replies to any comments I have ever seen on this board. A slap to the buttocks of a four-year-old to keep them from darting out in front of a truck is not abuse or torture. You must be one of the new leftists who also wants to legalize PCP as a medical treatment for someone who already has mental problems. maybe you are smoking some now based on what you just wrote. You equate Murdering parents as revenge for good parenting. let me guess, you wear a T shirt that says Keep Portland Weird. And you hang dry it next to the washer and your bed in your moms basement.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. I have no idea where you got any of your bizarre ideas.

if used, it cant be some prolonged thing. It's merely a tool to let a kid know you're serious and to get their entire attention IMO for that brief moment.

Oh no. I'd let my kid stew on the fact that he was about to get his butt whipped. And I'd make him explain to me what he did wrong before I gave it to him.
After he grew up, he said "waiting for it" was worse than getting it sometimes.

I've started this topic on other forums in the past because I keep looking for different opinions, but I was just wondering,.. do you guys believe in corporal punishment? Yes, or no? I believe in it but I also don't believe that it should be overused.

In general no. However my daughter, when she was 5 ignored my command to stop at a street corner, and was about to run into the street when I grabbed her.

A car was coming so she conceivably
could have been harmed so she got a single swat on her bottom.

That's the only time she has ever been struck

In general no. However my daughter, when she was 5 ignored my command to stop at a street corner, and was about to run into the street when I grabbed her.

A car was coming so she conceivably
could have been harmed so she got a single swat on her bottom.

That's the only time she has ever been struck
And that is good.

To prevent repeated behavior that puts them or others at risk a few quick swats to the rear with an explanation of why is in order.

Male or female a father should be able to discipline his kids. a few quick swats doesn't affect a female any more than it does a male.

If you have a teenager who has become totally belligerent and hateful, perhaps cussing the mother, he may deserve to be slapped, open handed with removal of privileges and monetary allowance. And an explanation that if he does it again it will be harder the next time. In this case the mother should be the only one to administer this to a daughter. A follow up to a family counselor with his own family and kids or a minister may be in order if it reaches this point.

Same thing if your teenager is constantly sneaking out or drastically past curfew every single time they go out, particularly if they are drinking and have the car, you may want to press them firmly against the wall with an explanation that one more time and pow. followed by a trip to the family counselor who is raising his own kids. At this point you are trying to save not only his life and his future, but the lives of other people as well.

But no matter where you stand, if you set forth conditions, or say there are going to be certain consequences of any kind you MUST follow through. Otherwise, thee child will never believe another word you say and will never learn to respect the boundaries you set or that other people have for themselves.

We've all seen the Mother, or sometimes Dad at the store with a screaming misbehaving child, taking things from the shelves, sometimes worse. And over and over and over the parent screams and screams at them to stop, and then wham, the child looks right at mommy or dad, then rolls their eyes and hurls the candy bar across the store and absolutely nothing happens. In fact just as everyone is about to pull their hair out from the never ending commotion with mom screaming non stop as loud or louder than the child, mom buys the kid the candy or toy he wants and its all lovey Dovey. And mom baby talks the child all the way out to the car. And you know, lord help the poor teacher who is going to have to try to teach that kid how to read and write and how to respect the other kids and their belongings.

Someone said something about what they would do if a teacher spanked their child. In my small town so many decades ago, corporal punishment was allowed in the schools. It was always with two adults present and generally a teacher would ask another teacher to step out and and witness the act. we always knew when a knock at the door happened and a teacher quietly stuck their head in the door, our teacher would tell the class to read a page in one of our books, and a few minutes later they would step back in with a grim look on their face. Sometimes I think they were just bluffing to let us think a misbehaving kid just got spanked. If they were, it worked.

My own parents were very frank about it, they said if I ever received a spanking at school, I would get one when I got home. Because they were firm but fair and they always followed through with the stated discipline for breaking boundaries, I never got a spanking at school because I knew I would get exactly the same later.

Since you brought up the topic of teenagers, (although I know that you didn't bring up this point specifically) when they get to a certain age then I think it's time to remove the spanking because they're too old for it and it obviously isn't working anymore and not only that,.. but they could start hitting you back even harder.

Oh no. I'd let my kid stew on the fact that he was about to get his butt whipped. And I'd make him explain to me what he did wrong before I gave it to him.
After he grew up, he said "waiting for it" was worse than getting it sometimes.
I worked with someone who did that. Right up until his daughter poured two gallons of boiling water over his head while he slept. It was a closed-casket funeral.

Since you brought up the topic of teenagers, (although I know that you didn't bring up this point specifically) when they get to a certain age then I think it's time to remove the spanking because they're too old for it and it obviously isn't working anymore and not only that,.. but they could start hitting you back even harder.
Or stick a knife in you. Or burn the house down. Or bury an axe in your skull.

If dad still doesn't have control of his teenager to where he is afraid his teenager then dad lost his son years earlier. And even then, though I think there is nothing wrong with corporal punishment I do think it should be rare and reserved for serious infractions. If your teenager is out all hours of the night and is involved with drinking and driving around with friends he is also being exposed to a lot of things and may be participating in other nefarious activities. At this point you are trying to stop him from destroying his life or the lives of others. So putting him against the wall firmly and telling him what will come next if it doesn't stop is certainly what a dad needs to do if talking has gotten nowhere. Otherwise, the next step may be visiting him at the morgue or at the jail cell after a DUI or crime against other people. Look at our streets today, permissiveness and excuse making has filled our streets with crime and violence and morgues with the bodies of young men and women.

I got paddled in school and it worked. You got a choice between getting paddled or suspension. Always took the paddle, been worse at home if I got suspended. That's what wrong with society today, no punishment for bad decisions.
If it works. I hated being spanked or slapped even just a little. One of my brothers, however, had what today would be called oppositional defiant disorder which didn't exist officially back the day. You could paddle him til he bled or slap him across the room and he never ever ever changed. If anything, it may him more resolved to keep doing the exact things that got him punished out of pure unadulterated spite. As adults I am about the only one in the family who can be around him for more than 30 minutes he burned so many bridges with his behavior growing up and I am the only one who will answer his calls. I figured out at an early age the one thing that did work was to ignore him completely. Act like he wasn't even there. "Whatever" if he said something. That was the only thing that seemed to make him try to at least reign in his horses. He starts his crap around me, the calls go unanswered and the door stays shut. He keeps his drama away from me, then the door gets opened and the calls get answered. It is that simple.

I got regular beatings from my mother then from a foster parent after she died.

All it did was make me more angry and rebellious.

Forum List

Back