To Remove Lead Water Pipes, First You Must Find Them

So...........is the public being taken for a ride then?
1618166249336.png

*****SMILE*****

:)

Safe drinking water for everyone in America is an important goal, and Joe Biden’s American Jobs Plan makes a $111 billion investment toward that. While the majority of the funding goes to modernizing water treatment and delivery systems and remediating potentially harmful chemicals like PFAS, what’s gotten the most attention is a $45 billion initiative to “replace 100 percent of the nation’s lead pipes and service lines.”

If we could manage to do this, it would make a huge difference. Lead exposure has been credibly linked to stunted child development, kidney disease, auditory problems, brain damage, behavioral challenges, and more provocatively, crime. We eliminated leaded gasoline and paint in the 1970s and yet it still lingers as a persistent problem. And part of that comes through water tainted as it flows through lead pipes.

But if you want to replace all the lead water pipes in America, the first thing you have to do is find all the lead water pipes in America.

This sounds like it has the makings of a chaotic nightmare. I don't have a problem with it as long as homeowners are not having to come up with money to replace them.
>But if you want to replace all the lead water pipes in America, the first thing you have to do is find all the lead water pipes in America.

I suppose the logical way to go about it is to test homes, and if the lead content is high, then test the water being supplied to the home to determine if the source is the home, the supply, or both.

If the lead content is not high, no need to replace the pipe, even if is does have lead content or solder.

In some cases, it might make more sense to simply run new lines, instead of removing the old ones at possible extra cost.

Last edited:
Yes Americans, lead has been used for pressure water piping.
And yes, it can withstand pressure required in a water supply system.

Pb. as in plumbing!

This is another one that can stand alongside the American bullshit of the Covid vaccines killing people.

America can't possibly compete with China if this sort of demonstration of ignorance is not stopped!

Pb. as in plumbing!

This is another one that can stand alongside the American bullshit of the Covid vaccines killing people.

America can't possibly compete with China if this sort of demonstration of ignorance is not stopped!
you didnt give an accurate rant,,

they are iron and lead combos,,, not just lead,,

Safe drinking water for everyone in America is an important goal, and Joe Biden’s American Jobs Plan makes a $111 billion investment toward that. While the majority of the funding goes to modernizing water treatment and delivery systems and remediating potentially harmful chemicals like PFAS, what’s gotten the most attention is a $45 billion initiative to “replace 100 percent of the nation’s lead pipes and service lines.”

If we could manage to do this, it would make a huge difference. Lead exposure has been credibly linked to stunted child development, kidney disease, auditory problems, brain damage, behavioral challenges, and more provocatively, crime. We eliminated leaded gasoline and paint in the 1970s and yet it still lingers as a persistent problem. And part of that comes through water tainted as it flows through lead pipes.

But if you want to replace all the lead water pipes in America, the first thing you have to do is find all the lead water pipes in America.

This sounds like it has the makings of a chaotic nightmare. I don't have a problem with it as long as homeowners are not having to come up with money to replace them.
in all my 45 yrs of working on old houses I have never seen a single lead water pipe,, they are used fro drain pipes but not water pipes because they cant handle the pressure,,
In really old houses water mains are cast iron with lead solder.
The solder never touches the water. First they pound some paper into the joint. Then the solder over it.

Pb. as in plumbing!

Prove it, asshole.

How were the flint residents poisoned by lead in their water? Was it river water that was poisoned and pumped in to them?

What about other neighborhoods reporting lead poisoning from their water....????? :dunno:
What neighborhoods have reported lead poisoning from their water?

Really not necessary....Lead pipes have enough calcium scale in them to make the threat of lead contamination negligible.

Biden is trying to rescue America from the growing threat of fascism.

If he fails then it could be America's last chance.

The threat has become very real in America, because of the hurting of the ordinary working class. Desperate people can be turned to fascism as their rescue from the system that has abused them for so long.
That doesn't have anything to do with the topic. You're free to go start your own thread on this but keep it off mine. Please and thank you.

Pb. as in plumbing!

If you look at a map showing which areas of Flynt MI has leas pipes, the number of homes involved is minute:

PJ2HGUUDYNC7ROZIRF5V7IFI2E.png

Really not necessary....Lead pipes have enough calcium scale in them to make the threat of lead contamination negligible.
What happened in Flynt is that a new water source they used was acidic and it dissolved the scale.

Pb. as in plumbing!

Prove it, asshole.
I would rather just let it go and accept that lead is no threat and that you're right after all.
or
If you weren't right to begin with then fascism can make anything right!

Pb. as in plumbing!

Prove it, asshole.
I would rather just let it go and accept that lead is no threat and that you're right after all.
or
How dare anyone question any legislation?
That's why you are here, amiright?

Stay on topic, man.

What happened in Flynt is that a new water source they used was acidic and it dissolved the scale.
Partially right, but not completely right.
Work on your theory or just forget it, it's just American libruls after all.

What would China do?
Or ask me what Canada would do?

Stay on topic, man.
I'm here on this topic mostly to show that Americans are choosing self-destructive policies for political purposes, while they should be coming together to choose science and progress in order to compete with the world's leading democracies. (and China)

That's why I suggested that this ridiculous discussion on lead water pipes can be stood right alongside of the ignorant nonsense of rejecting Covid vaccines.

You get the rational side of a discussion from non-Americans, whether you like and appreciate it or not!

Pb. as in plumbing!

Prove it, asshole.
or
There certainly isn't an justification for spending 111 billion on it.

Biden is the fascist, and you voted for him.

Stay on topic, man.
I'm here on this topic mostly to show that Americans are choosing self-destructive policies for political purposes, while they should be coming together to choose science and progress in order to compete with the world's leading democracies. (and China)

That's why I suggested that this ridiculous discussion on lead water pipes can be stood right alongside of the ignorant nonsense of rejecting Covid vaccines.

You get the rational side of a discussion from non-Americans, whether you like and appreciate it or not!
It's off topic. Take it to another thread. You are in no position to decide what is rational and what is not.

There certainly isn't an justification for spending 111 billion on it.

It could be a ruse to enable Biden to throw a lot of money at a non-existing problem, and then spend the money on one of the real problems.

As a Canadian, and speaking from a position that works for social spending, I would suggest Biden get all the money he can get, real causes or not, and then spend it as quickly as he can.

The American people are desperate for a way out of the poverty that's been forced on them by the very wealthy and they've already risen up against government on Jan. 6th. Albeit in a mostly comical way as revolution standards go. There will be a next time if Biden or Trump doesn't fix things soon.

Forum List

Back