To draft or not to draft

Again, refer to what Freeandfun1 wrote.

Free expressed that the military can show/teach people about other people that they would not of necessarily been exposed to otherwise. I agreed. But I also stated that it is up to the individual. Me for one has been exposed to diversity because of where I grew up so I feel that that reason would not be enough for me to join the military. Now, if it was someone's goal to be introduced to diversity through the military, that is fine, but it is their choice.

I believe that you are purposefully trying to find something in what I post to be argumentive or at the very least, sarcastic about.

Maybe you are having a bad day or maybe you don't like me, but either way I leave you to find something in this post, you are wasting my time if you continue on this way.

Originally posted by dilloduck
The individuals in the military give you the freedom to do all the things you listed above. You are lucky as shit that people have volunteered to sacrifice FOR YOU. Good thing our countries' security isn't up to you because you wouldn't do it !

Hey don't make it sound like I'm not grateful for the people who do join the military or have joined the military. I understand that thanks to them, I do not have to be apart of the military and I appreciate that.

I believe that you can be supportive/appreciative of something without physically being involved. Are you, dillo, a firefighter or garbage collector or mail carrier or vetrinarian? Do you have to be in order to be grateful for what they do? A simple thank you will work for the most part. I know my father is grateful that I am not in the middle east for more than one reason because of all the people who willingly volunteered to join the military. My father understands what it is like to be drafted to be in a war that one does not want to be apart of.

How about you dillo?

Originally posted by brneyedgrl80
Hey don't make it sound like I'm not grateful for the people who do join the military or have joined the military. I understand that thanks to them, I do not have to be apart of the military and I appreciate that.

I believe that you can be supportive/appreciative of something without physically being involved. Are you, dillo, a firefighter or garbage collector or mail carrier or vetrinarian? Do you have to be in order to be grateful for what they do? A simple thank you will work for the most part. I know my father is grateful that I am not in the middle east for more than one reason because of all the people who willingly volunteered to join the military. My father understands what it is like to be drafted to be in a war that one does not want to be apart of.

How about you dillo?

Hey browneyes, you were the one to bring up the draft. Not Dillo. Get over it and ask the questions for those it pertains to, not Dillo or myself, but you and my own kids.

I'm sorry, did I start this topic? Let me check.... oh wait... it says NYCflasher started this topic. Hmmm... I guess that wouldn't be me.

So let me get this right kathianne, it's okay for me to be questioned on my opinions/beliefs/views, but I cannot question in turn? How strange how that works....

So how about you get over it?

I'm just curious what your personal military history is kathianne? Please indulge me.

How about you dillo?

God forbid that we should have any kind of physical involvement here ! A simple thank you doesn't satisfy the people who work in the careers you mentioned ! They get a damn paycheck MUCH larger than a GI !!! How many veterinarians were killed in the line of duty last year?? Garbagemen??

How about me? I worked in Camp Kue Army Hospital on Okinawa during Viet Nam . The wounded troops that ended up there were in the most part draftees and I felt sorry for them. I was glad I wasn't one of them . I don't want war anywhere !
I would have felt the same way if they were volunteers !

You are just grateful that some one else protects you so YOUR close ones don't have to risk a damn thing !

I'm sorry, did I start this topic? Let me check.... oh wait... it says NYCflasher started this topic. Hmmm... I guess that wouldn't be me.

So let me get this right kathianne, it's okay for me to be questioned on my opinions/beliefs/views, but I cannot question in turn? How strange how that works....

So how about you get over it?

I'm just curious what your personal military history is kathianne? Please indulge me.

first post of brown eyed: I just had a question. I noticed that no one has mentioned anything about school. If people are in college whether it be part time or full time, would they be exempt from the draft?

Personally, I came 'of age in early 70's, not a time for females in military and I was not so inclined, I'll admit it. I hated Nixon with a vengence that cause riffs for a time with my mother.

Now fast forward post 9/11. I'm single mom and have been for years. Have 3 kids. Today ages 18, 21, 22. Youngest two males, only ones for conscription without changes to laws. Unlike you, I'm not asking for differences because they are bright and mine, I'd back them as they put their all on the line for the likes of you and your kitty cats, one who would equate them with my children. damn you.

Oooo... sounds like I've hit a nerve.

If I can ask another question, what do you do for the soldiers that are currently over in the middle east?

Just remember the beauty of a free nation, no one has to join the military if they do not want to.

while a good catfight can be entertaining from time to time, I'd like to go back to enjoying the more intelligent debates instead of the flamefest that is about to start. Thank you. :)

this message brought to you by the concerned liberal moderators of the USMB. You may now go back to the originally posted debate.

Oooo... sounds like I've hit a nerve.

If I can ask another question, what do you do for the soldiers that are currently over in the middle east?

Just remember the beauty of a free nation, no one has to join the military if they do not want to.

Not sure what you mean about hitting a nerve, since not a problem of sacrifice today. However, what I do today? I give money to USO. I with my classes have adopted a platoon, what the hell have you done but criticize the sacrifices of the soldiers, what you see as the inemptitude of the administrationl, and the giving of the public?

God forbid that we should have any kind of physical involvement here ! A simple thank you doesn't satisfy the people who work in the careers you mentioned ! They get a damn paycheck MUCH larger than a GI !!! How many veterinarians were killed in the line of duty last year?? Garbagemen??

How about me? I worked in Camp Kue Army Hospital on Okinawa during Viet Nam . The wounded troops that ended up there were in the most part draftees and I felt sorry for them. I was glad I wasn't one of them . I don't want war anywhere !
I would have felt the same way if they were volunteers !

You are just grateful that some one else protects you so YOUR close ones don't have to risk a damn thing !

Yes I am, is that wrong? Like I said, you can show your support and appreciation without having to be there.

My father was in Vietnam because he wanted to be there, but he knew a lot of people who were drafted. He was a grunt out there and after two years of grunt work he worked on hueys *spelling* where he served out the rest of his time. Yet, even though he willingly volunteered he is the first one out there that will tell you that a draft is a bad idea. He said a lot of the people who were drafted were the first to die besides minorities and the under educated for a few reasons. One, because they didn't believe in the cause. Foolish, perhaps, but you can't change how a person feels. Two, they were not cut out for the military, people know what they are cut out for and some are not cut out for the military. Three, not enough training for some of the draftees.

Originally posted by NewGuy
Constitutionally a militia is voluntary.

A draft goes counter.

During Civil War both sides had conscription. Your point?

Originally posted by Kathianne
Not sure what you mean about hitting a nerve, since not a problem of sacrifice today. However, what I do today? I give money to USO. I with my classes have adopted a platoon, what the hell have you done but criticize the sacrifices of the soldiers, what you see as the inemptitude of the administrationl, and the giving of the public?

Please tell me when I have criticized the sacrifices of the soldiers. Please quote me where I have said that. If anything, I have said that I appreciate what they have done. I've also said that you can be supportive and appreciative without physically joining the military.

I applaud you on what you have done for our soldiers. Unlike many who trumpet for the military but yet show no support.

Currently, considering I am in no position to teach yet, I am a pen pal to 5 different soldiers who do not recieve letters from family or friends as well as I donate books, DVDs, VHS and video games to a program call books for soldiers. It's a very good organization and has a website, which is where you can also get address to write to soldiers. So, like I said, you can show your support/appreciation without having to be there.

Remember, just because I don't believe in a draft does not mean that I do not appreciate the troops out there serving our country. This is a non-issue.

Please tell me when I have criticized the sacrifices of the soldiers. Please quote me where I have said that. If anything, I have said that I appreciate what they have done. I've also said that you can be supportive and appreciative without physically joining the military.

I applaud you on what you have done for our soldiers. Unlike many who trumpet for the military but yet show no support.

Currently, considering I am in no position to teach yet, I am a pen pal to 5 different soldiers who do not recieve letters from family or friends as well as I donate books, DVDs, VHS and video games to a program call books for soldiers. It's a very good organization and has a website, which is where you can also get address to write to soldiers. So, like I said, you can show your support/appreciation without having to be there.

Remember, just because I don't believe in a draft does not mean that I do not appreciate the troops out there serving our country.

Perhaps we do not disagree as much as it appears. I thought you brought up the draft. I merely was saying that IF it became a reality, then one must abide by it, inconvenience and all. Other than that, I support the volunteer military, which I believe is superior to all and best for the country. IF a draft were to become necessary, then there should be NO exceptions for college or advanced studies.

Originally posted by Kathianne
IF a draft were to become necessary, then there should be NO exceptions for college or advanced studies.

Even though a said draft goes counter to the Constitution?

Draft everyone that comes of age. Let em choose miltary or public sevice. The military can then further weed out the ones that they don't want. People have died for this cause---maybe a little token giving to ones' country will make people appreciate it and get em outta thier little shells and see what the world is really like.

Here was my original post on this idea----would you object having people drafted into public service ?

:D

So you agree with that? Volunteer, but if mandatory, then no exceptions, except physical, mental, and conscientious objector status?

Forum List

Back