tNVS and Language Learning

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011

So, it seems that new technology has revisited a not-so-new idea about stimulating language learning, even in older folks who have bought into the old notion that they 'can't' learn new languages after a certain age. Never as true as people generally believe, the idea may become outdated if this new, non-invasive device that stimulates the transcutaneous vagus nerve develops the way it might. In fact, if it proves effective, it might have applications in many areas of cognitive development or decline.

If some enterprising scientist were to develop a commercial application, they would stand to make some $$$$$.

After having taught myself a new language well enough to navigate in a new (to me) culture, I happened to read a book that explained, essentially, that at my age at the time, I couldn't.

So, it seems that new technology has revisited a not-so-new idea about stimulating language learning, even in older folks who have bought into the old notion that they 'can't' learn new languages after a certain age. Never as true as people generally believe, the idea may become outdated if this new, non-invasive device that stimulates the transcutaneous vagus nerve develops the way it might. In fact, if it proves effective, it might have applications in many areas of cognitive development or decline.

If some enterprising scientist were to develop a commercial application, they would stand to make some $$$$$.

The only limits of the human mind are those we place on them ourselves.

That said, I'd love me some super brain power stimulant. Only the legal safe kind, as I treat my body like a temple.

After having taught myself a new language well enough to navigate in a new (to me) culture, I happened to read a book that explained, essentially, that at my age at the time, I couldn't.
Was the book written in your new language?

No, my native tongue, but I was studying history in the 'new' language, so reading was not too difficult..

a620cc83-2d08-40ef-a1c1-47aa93d2d7ea-239247_web-nervestim.jpg

Some here have feces for brainz so it probably won't get through.

No, my native tongue, .....

You write with your tongue? That sounds painful.
You saw "writing with my tongue" in there somewhere? I thought that level of projection was reserved to political threads.

To take this to an extreme example, how much would you be willing to pay if you could have a new language more or less implanted in your mind over the course of a few short months?

To take this to an extreme example, how much would you be willing to pay if you could have a new language more or less implanted in your mind over the course of a few short months?
There is no current necessity in my life for such, but at the time it would have been worth a lot.

There is no current necessity in my life for such, but at the time it would have been worth a lot.

Why not now?
My previous post should have sufficed for an answer, but to be friendly I will respond.
There are few situations in which I would find myself that could not be handled in one of the languages presently spoken. Additionally, money for luxuries is very limited, so just to add a language would not be primary. That said, if Chinese could be learned quickly and easily as proposed, that would be attractive (realizing that "Chinese" is not necessarily just one language).

Forum List

Back