Tipping at the buffet?

BothWings

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2020
Today I took my son to a popular local Chinese buffet. Different permutations of our family have been there probably at least 30 times. I have never left a tip because most people tell me it's just not necessary at a buffet. They bring you your drinks and clean the table at the end and that's it. Usually I pay the owner who also plays a server sometimes. He has always been very jovial and has never said a word about me not tipping. Today the waitress, also Chinese, had me pay her since the owner was busy, so I met her at the register and gave her my card. Just like any other time I didn't leave a tip. When the waitress got her copy of the receipt she glanced at it in disbelief and started asking me if everything was okay and I said sure, it was fine. She followed me back to the table as I went to get my son, and was still asking in disbelief if everything was okay, and I assured her yes it was. At that point I realized what she was getting at but since I had already signed the bill I kept my composure and just bit her good night and walked out but I could tell she was borderline fuming about it. Now, interestingly enough...sometime during my meal...the buffet switched from the lunch menu to the dinner menu unbeknownst to me. So when I filled up my plate for the last time the waitress came over and informed me that I had just taken food that was on the dinner menu and told me she was going to adjust my bill to reflect it! Our bill with tax ended up being like $8 more than it had been before. If it had not been for that fact, I might have felt kind of bad for her, and second-guessed that maybe I should have been tipping there all along after all. I'm now confused as to whether I made a mistake or this girl was just being greedy or what. I immediately googled the topic when I got out to the car, and found that many people will tip about half the standard rate of 15% which would be about 7%... but also that many people don't tip at all at buffets. So I'm really on the fence about what to feel in this situation. This is the first time any server has ever called me out for this at a buffet, or even seemed remotely upset about it. I'm curious how other people would feel in this situation and whether or not they tip at buffets, and if so how much.

Thanks!

Today I took my son to a popular local Chinese buffet. Different permutations of our family have been there probably at least 30 times. I have never left a tip because most people tell me it's just not necessary at a buffet. They bring you your drinks and clean the table at the end and that's it. Usually I pay the owner who also plays a server sometimes. He has always been very jovial and has never said a word about me not tipping. Today the waitress, also Chinese, had me pay her since the owner was busy, so I met her at the register and gave her my card. Just like any other time I didn't leave a tip. When the waitress got her copy of the receipt she glanced at it in disbelief and started asking me if everything was okay and I said sure, it was fine. She followed me back to the table as I went to get my son, and was still asking in disbelief if everything was okay, and I assured her yes it was. At that point I realized what she was getting at but since I had already signed the bill I kept my composure and just bit her good night and walked out but I could tell she was borderline fuming about it. Now, interestingly enough...sometime during my meal...the buffet switched from the lunch menu to the dinner menu unbeknownst to me. So when I filled up my plate for the last time the waitress came over and informed me that I had just taken food that was on the dinner menu and told me she was going to adjust my bill to reflect it! Our bill with tax ended up being like $8 more than it had been before. If it had not been for that fact, I might have felt kind of bad for her, and second-guessed that maybe I should have been tipping there all along after all. I'm now confused as to whether I made a mistake or this girl was just being greedy or what. I immediately googled the topic when I got out to the car, and found that many people will tip about half the standard rate of 15% which would be about 7%... but also that many people don't tip at all at buffets. So I'm really on the fence about what to feel in this situation. This is the first time any server has ever called me out for this at a buffet, or even seemed remotely upset about it. I'm curious how other people would feel in this situation and whether or not they tip at buffets, and if so how much.

Thanks!
Why even feel anything at all about it?

Tipping is your choice and not a requirement.

From what you said, I don't know that I'd have taken it that she was upset about not getting a tip, but I wasn't there so its possible.

If wait staff get upset that I don't tip, I just tell them that the "Slobing Knob" I ordered was late and cold.

The whole 'pressure to tip' thing is nonsense.

From what you said, I don't know that I'd have taken it that she was upset about not getting a tip, but I wasn't there so its possible.

If wait staff get upset that I don't tip, I just tell them that the "Slobing Knob" I ordered was late and cold.

Oh, believe me....it was obvious she was upset. And she seemed to be genuinely confused as to why she didn't get one. She wasnt just trying to bully me. She didn't say anything right away. She just kept looking back at the receipt in disbelief on her own, like she was truly trying to figure it out. Believe me also, a few times here and there I've had a surly waitress or waiter or the food was crap and I didn't tip very much. I will definitely assert my right not to tip it if I feel there's a reason to. But if most people are tipping something at the buffet and I'm one of the few who is not, I'd still be curious to know where I stand in the crowd.

Indeed, tipping is up to me. But many servers make the bulk of their earnings from that. And while it may not be a requirement it's definitely a deeply ingrained custom. Suppose you walked into a normal restaurant and never tipped. Just like you could make up an excuse for not tipping, i.e. food was cold...they could also give you an excuse for not bringing your food faster.

So...once again....I'm just curious who tips at buffets and who doesn't and if you do tip how much do you leave.

Thanks!
Usually the so-called waiter at a buffet spends less that a few minutes getting your drinks.
When it's a waiter or a server they spend more time in you. So a tip is pretty much expected because they don't even make minimum-wage.
If you want to tip them, go ahead......but if the total comes to $25 I'll give them $27-30 and tell them to keep the change.

Usually the so-called waiter at a buffet spends less that a few minutes getting your drinks.
When it's a waiter or a server they spend more time in you. So a tip is pretty much expected because they don't even make minimum-wage.
If you want to tip them, go ahead......but if the total comes to $25 I'll give them $27-30 and tell them to keep the change.
Yeah I could see maybe giving them 5% at a buffet. Is just that most people tell me that it's not important. I had to do a reality check and do some research because that girl seemed so genuinely incredulous.

At our local hair salon it irks me that the card reader not only prompts you to leave a tip but the only choices it gives are 5 or 10 dollars or other. So you actually have to go menu diving to give them less than a $5 tip for $15 haircut. Alot of these places seem to be getting kind of greedy when they didn't used to be.

This is one issue that is in dispute where there IS a correct answer.

The Fair Labor Standards Act explicitly creates a status, and a lower legal MW, for people who are servers, which is to say, "Tipped Employees." Their MW is US$2.13/hr. For information, the MW for everyone else is US$7.25/hr.

People who work behind the counter at smorgasboards, buffets and such (like the woman you encountered) are NOT TIPPED EMPLOYEES! Accordingly, no tip is required. The same goes for people who work behind the counter at Subway, McDonalds, Starbucks, and even Pizza shops that have counter service. Those people get the benefit of the higher MW, and are not entitled to a tip.

But two things must be kept in mind. Servers ARE ENTITLED TO BE TIPPED, unless there is a noteworthy deficiency in the SERVICE (as contrasted with the food, which they do not prepare). The old "standard" tip was 1/7 or 14% of the total of the tab. Now, post-Covid, the standard tip is 20%. More if service is exceptional, a little less if it is sub-standard.

Second, for people who are NOT ENTITLED to be tipped - Barista's, for example - a tip is appropriate if the service is exceptional. Whether you throw it into the "Tip Jar" (an institution which I abhor), or leave if for them individually is a matter to be decided on the sperm of the moment (that's a joke, if you were wondering).

Don't be bullied into tipping, either by a person or a cash register. If no tip is appropriate, don't leave a tip.

Those Asian ladies work pretty hard to make sure you have everything you may need at those buffets. They have great work ethic.

They're astute, too. I've never had an empty glass or plate on a table for more than one minute.

I don't go to buffets at all any more, and I have my reasons for that, but when I did, I always gave em some cash before I went up and paid my bill.

Yeah I could see maybe giving them 5% at a buffet. Is just that most people tell me that it's not important. I had to do a reality check and do some research because that girl seemed so genuinely incredulous.

At our local hair salon it irks me that the card reader not only prompts you to leave a tip but the only choices it gives are 5 or 10 dollars or other. So you actually have to go menu diving to give them less than a $5 tip for $15 haircut. Alot of these places seem to be getting kind of greedy when they didn't used to be.
I think everyone is being affected by the Biden economy.
Everything is more expensive.....so everyone is suffering, especially the poor and the people in the food service industry.

I think everyone is being affected by the Biden economy.
Everything is more expensive.....so everyone is suffering, especially the poor and the people in the food service industry.
I've worked in the food service industry for 34 years. The only way I could say that I "suffer" is because so few people want to work, and the ones we do get are losers who are gone in a few months for all kinds of reasons. That started during the plandemic and has only got worse and worse. On the flip side I get plenty of OT because of it, and therefore I do a-ok. When it gets very busy and there's no help it admittedly
does get kind of rough.

I've worked in the food service industry for 34 years. The only way I could say that I "suffer" is because so few people want to work, and the ones we do get are losers who are gone in a few months for all kinds of reasons. That started during the plandemic and has only got worse and worse. On the flip side I get plenty of OT because of it, and therefore I do a-ok. When it gets very busy and there's no help it admittedly
does get kind of rough.
I don't know what they get here in TN right now....but the last time I asked the waitress said she was making about what I was making when I was bagging groceries in high school back in the 70s. Most of her income was tips.

I went to a buffet last week. I tipped $10 for the two of us.

The servers had cleaned our table, made our place setting, brought us our drinks, checked on us, and brought us the tab, and were very nice.

They work hard and are less fortunate than I am, so I like to share the love.

My rule of thumb is that if I get served (as opposed to take out), I tip a minimum of $5 per person or 20%, whichever is greater, but I often tip much more. To each their own. Tipping is optional.

It's not worth feeling bad to save a few bucks. The good feeling associated with being generous is well worth it.

Regards,
Jim

I went to a buffet last week. I tipped $10 for the two of us.

The servers had cleaned our table, made our place setting, brought us our drinks, checked on us, and brought us the tab, and were very nice.

They work hard and are less fortunate than I am, so I like to share the love.

My rule of thumb is that if I get served (as opposed to take out), I tip a minimum of $5 per person or 20%, whichever is greater, but I often tip much more. To each their own. Tipping is optional.

It's not worth feeling bad to save a few bucks. The good feeling associated with being generous is well worth it.

Regards,
Jim
There is a buffet in Plant City Florida that my wife and I frequent several times a year. It is old fashion Southern food.

The waitress staff are mostly sweet little Plant City high school or college girls trying to make a little extra money. They are always very friendly and attentive. By keeping the drinks coming and clean up in between courses they do some work.

We always tip them generously.

i agree!

Forum List

Back